What should this job pay?

I have 2 years of industry experience and I am sitting for Level 1 in June. Analyst Company: & Associates, Inc. Location: Minneapolis, MN 55414 Status: Full Time, Employee Job Category: Finance/Economics Relevant Work Experience: 1+ to 2 Years Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager) Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree Analyst Company and Associates is searching for an Analyst for its Minneapolis Office. The firm provides a variety of high quality investment consulting services to a rapidly growing list of more than one hundred institutional investment funds located across the U.S. We work predominantly with the financial staffs of corporations, endowments, foundations and health care providers. The aggregate invested asset base of our clients exceeds $80 billion. We will teach the new employee whatever she/he needs to know about investments, but a successful candidate must have an intense desire to learn more about the consultative process and the workings of investments and capital markets. We are seeking an exceptional individual who displays most of these qualities: · B.A. or B.S. degree in finance, accounting or economics; · One to two years of work experience in finance, accounting or investment related position; · Smart, curious about a wide variety of things, quick to learn, and generally interesting to have around; · Skilled at quantitative analysis, with a critical eye for spotting results that are suspicious; · Able to advance multiple tasks successfully and with discipline, yet with minimal direction and supervision; · Patient and cheerful in the face of unreasonable deadlines and substantial time pressures; · Punctilious about maintaining extremely high standards of quality and accuracy while wallowing in minutiae. Since we sell knowledge and expertise, any mistake, no matter how small, compromises our credibility; · Careful and articulate speaker and writer, with a vigorous and creative prose style; · Self-confident presence sufficient to establish credibility with a wide variety of high-level decision-makers. In return for the loyalty and considerable personal sacrifices of the new analyst we offer: · The opportunity to gain broad exposure to institutional investments and global capital markets in an environment that values broad general knowledge, not narrow specialization; · Rapid assumption of significant responsibility. What you say and do will affect the financial health of major institutions and the material well-being of thousands of people; · The chance to live in a clean, culturally vibrant city where you can afford a decent apartment and tickets to plays, concerts or sporting events, and where you can actually park within walking distance of all of the above; · A competitive salary; · Health, Dental, Life, and Disability Insurance; · Tuition reimbursement for continuing education; · Profit sharing and 401(k) pre-tax savings plans; · Company sponsorship in the Chartered Financial Analyst program; · A liberal dress code, though ability to shine up and be presentable counts for something.

50Kish???

I’ll be like my job. It should pay twice the amount it does in reality.

50kish? lol are you serios???

I do not know fair value of wages too well. I was thinking $40k’s. Its alot of hours. 70+ hour weeks are sometimes demaned.

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 50kish? lol are you serios??? Yeah it’s Minnesota and looks like they want someone to mold, hence entry level

Do you get out of bed for $50K?

I would have guessed $45K.

Thanks Numi, Phone interview is tomorrow. I’m sure salary expectation will be a question.

ummm maybe i should reconsider my finance aspirations and all :slight_smile:

CS is the hottest industry out there right now. Up north here, they are going to university classrooms and stealing brains, why exactly are you swtiching to finance?

I would ask for ~ $55k base… They end up paying you what they want with bonus anyway… Also should account for the fact that you’re a consultant in this case, not direct FO…

ahahaha, dude, but 55 sounds so terribly low for some one who has CFA, dont you think? I mean this job doesnt require CFA, but in general, dont you think you can make atleast 80+ base with CFA?

This job is entry level. They encourage all analysts to enroll in the CFA. I’m a level one candidate and so are many other analysts there.

you didnt read his original post…he is writing lvl 1 and has 2 years experience. The projections thrown out so far seem reasonable to me.

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahahaha, dude, but 55 sounds so terribly low for > some one who has CFA, dont you think? I mean this > job doesnt require CFA, but in general, dont you > think you can make atleast 80+ base with CFA? see the thing is, CFA requires at least 4 years of good expeirience which commands the high base…

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks Numi, > > Phone interview is tomorrow. I’m sure salary > expectation will be a question. Can you just call a headhunter that you know and ask what they think the comp range (base + bonus) should be? I’m sure they could give you better opinions if you’re still not sure.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CS is the hottest industry out there right now. Up > north here, they are going to university > classrooms and stealing brains, why exactly are > you swtiching to finance? —nah, its all cyclical, plus, a lot of smaller companies don’t pay that well either, and there’s certainly a cap on the salary/growth, I’ve seen job postings looking for engineers with 10+ yrs of experience where the salary range is 85k-95k, if you can stay in the industry for that long in finance (FO role of course), I’m sure you’ll be making a lot more than that by then, heck, you can get an MBA and make that much off the bat probably…keep in mind performance bonus and benefits package for tech jobs are peanuts compared to finance jobs I think the tech buzz back in the dotcom days was mainly around the stock option concept…you work for a startup comp in silicon valley for stock options, then become a millionaire in a couple of yrs when the comp goes public or gets bought out…when I was there, I heard so many stories where people took jobs with practically no monetary compensation and everything was through stock options, they had to pretty much pay out of their own pockets (for living expenses and such) to work for those startup comps, and ended up with nothing when the bubble bursted, probably exaggerated somewhat though…I was personally offered a job, where the pay is perhaps 1/3 of “market value”, but you get stock options, and the lower the pay you’re willing to accept, the more the stock options, I didn’t like that idea too much… you can probably find a gazillion more threads on this if you do a search on this forum

There’s no fricking way this job pays more than $55K. Heck, ask for $60K, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the $45K to 55K range.

“There’s no fricking way this job pays more than $55K. Heck, ask for $60K, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the $45K to 55K range.” There’s a chance it comes with a 7 figure bonus…but it’s slight.