What should this job pay?

If that were true, I’d throw my hat in the ring. KJH, where do I send my resume? Thanks.

I hear the cruises in Minnesota are sick…so I’ll be applying as well.

“Cruises?” Is that Minnesota slang for ballet?

Boat cruises…

Turkish, I think you missed your calling. You should start your TV show. It would be like Mad Money, except with a Stewart and Colbert twist to it. CFA2Grunt, are you near the Twin Cities?

Well, that’s boring, Turkish. KJH, no, I’m in Boston. Just kidding around. But I think what you make now will probably be taken into account in any salary negotiations. Unless you can manage to keep it under wraps. I’d expect a 10+% bump to start any new job.

grunt, you could not be more wrong… google minnesota and vikings and cruise…

Maybe Turkish is referring to Lake Minnetonka cruises. Similiar to the MN Vikings scandal out there! I live by that particular establishment that the Vikings utilized. CFA2Grunt - How can I keep my current salary under wraps? I really don’t want them to know what I’m making in bo currently.

Ah, I knew I had to be missing something.

It’s often not possible to keep it quiet forever. Most places will ask you point-blank at some point in the process. Try to defer as long as possible. I told my current employer, but at the end when I couldn’t put it off any longer and they asked me directly. I didn’t want them to infer anything from what I believed to be my former below-market pay rate at an earlier stage of the interview process.

Is there any way without lying and pissing off the interviewer to not reveal your current salary? I feel that if they find out, they will throw out some number just high enough to make me bite which would be well below market value.

Just always go 10% higher on your salary…or as I did this summer, say that your current salary has no relevance as you haven’t yet made partner.

Can’t employers just see what you made by looking at your W-2 (which I believe you have to turn into HR)? Maybe I don’t quite understand why you wouldn’t want to tell employers what you’re making, since I feel that the pay scales at junior levels are relatively regimented. Whenever I’ve been asked what my compensation was by a prospective employer, I always tell them. If they come back to me with an offer that’s well below market value, then it’s up to me or any other potential candidate to know the market well enough and negotiate for higher pay. Maybe I am missing something here, but this issue seems like it should be simpler than it’s made out to be…

Who turns in their W-2 to HR? I mean, the new company, if they hire you, will verify whatever salary info you provide to them, so don’t lie. But when I fill out an application in HR, I usually leave the salary field blank. When they ask you what it is in person, just tell them. But don’t offer it out there early on. I doubt this job will pay a ton more than your back-office job anyway, so Numi’s right in that it’s not a huge deal.

In most cases employers cannot access previous salaries through ethical means. Some places demand a prior year’s 1040. I had a long convo with a SVP I know about this. She told me she’s lied her way through her entire working life without it ever coming back to bite her. She is in the banking industry likewise. Needless to say I do not wish to cheat my way through life. I like to think most places will pay you a fair wage in order to keep you from jumping to the next firm. However I could also see that places will give you the smallest step in pay in order to hire you. I agree with you Numi. I will be honest in what I am making, I just hope I’m not shorted in the range of acceptable offers.

When you tell them your current compensation make sure to include your benefits. You’d be surprised how much they are worth.

KJH, Tell them the truth but add that you expect to receive a counteroffer from your current job. By saying this, they should know that they can’t necesarily lowball you; worked for me when I wasn’t making market.

“Turkish, I think you missed your calling. You should start your TV show. It would be like Mad Money, except with a Stewart and Colbert twist to it.” I’m writing a book…I’m way too ugly for TV.

KJH - I have the same phone interview tomorrow. Wonder how many others in the cities saw this… I bet there is a pretty healthy # of applicants. Anyhow, good luck buddy!

Haha! In my email, they said they were conducting phone interviews from 10-3. Each slot is a half hour, and I’m sure that the interviewer will take a break. If they are the only one making calls, there may be 8-10 candidates. Anyway, best of luck to you likewise.