What should this job pay?

I looked at that company about a year ago, yes I know what company it is, I am curious how it turns out for you two that are interviewing. Keep us up to date if you can. As far as my guess as to salary I would estimate 45k, but it is a rather small outfit so there may be more potential to move up the ranks. Anyway good luck to both of you

tvPM, If you want I can email afterwards. What level are you preparing for?

Just off the phone with them. It pays low to mid 40’s. I am currently working fund accounting at a hedge/PE fund. I’m getting 50k with a bonus around 5. Sounds like this position is mainly writing/editing reports for consultants before they present to clients. No research or quantitative analytics involved. Not sure I will get an offer, but I am struggling with idea of a potential pay cut of 10k to edit the interesting work of research analysts for consultants. If the position was involved in the security analysis… I would be more in favor. I (like a large portion of this forum) want to get involved in analysis and dislike my current accounting position. What do others think? If you were in my position, would you consider an offer?

KJH-Level 1…and between getting married in April and buying a home within the next 2 months my time is shrinking and the material is not getting any smaller. I fear for June. One thing that might be worth noting is how quickly you could progress from associate to analyst there. When I looked at bios on their site it seems that people assume the roles pretty quick which might be a benefit…if nothing else to switching firms with a better title on your resume a bit faster…cuz getting paid 45k is bogus. If you are looking for an analyst position I guess I would try Piper, Wells Capital Mgmt, or Lowry Hill if you are looking private wealth. There are a bunch of smaller AM firms in the TC area too.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH-Level 1…and between getting married in April > and buying a home within the next 2 months my time > is shrinking and the material is not getting any > smaller. I fear for June. > > One thing that might be worth noting is how > quickly you could progress from associate to > analyst there. When I looked at bios on their site > it seems that people assume the roles pretty quick > which might be a benefit…if nothing else to > switching firms with a better title on your resume > a bit faster…cuz getting paid 45k is bogus. > > If you are looking for an analyst position I guess > I would try Piper, Wells Capital Mgmt, or Lowry > Hill if you are looking private wealth. There are > a bunch of smaller AM firms in the TC area too. tvPM - Thanks for your insight. I think if I can convince them to match my current salary, I would make the switch. If not, I still might! The short term earnings don’t stack up to my current situation, but I don’t want to pigeon-hole myself into a BO employee. I want to make the move ASAP. I am ready to start down the career path in which my passion lies. From my phone interview with the prospective employer, it sounds like internal upward movement is common and relatively quick to come by. I at least want to meet some people in the office and get a feel for the company. Any further advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I think they will pay for your CFA stuff, so thats a grand or two a year…which is something I guess. I dont know where you work now but anything that gets you to a more visible role would be nice and I am sure they have some pretty smart folks there, the environment seems laid back and the area of the office is really cool as far as restaurants and stuff goes. I am interested to hear what shakes out for the two of you, I think it would be funny if these two guys who meet in this forum end up working side by side.

Well I did not get an email yesterday. Ap did for an office interview. Therefore I don’t know if I’m on the maybe list or will simply not get a response at all. I was told several positions are available, and there could have been up to 10 phone interviews. So Ap should have a good chance at an offer. I just hope I’m on the maybe list and not the static reject list that goes out Monday. Good luck AP. If you have any questions let me know. I know one person who works there and they provided a very good overview of the job.

KJH - Sorry to hear you didn’t hear back yet. I am surprised you haven’t; you are obviously a bright guy and sound like you have the background/interests they are looking for. Maybe they just didn’t get back to everyone yet. Who knows? I hope you hear some good news early on Monday. Thanks for offering to answer my questions about the company. I’ll send you an email directly if I have any questions. Good luck man.

I got a good news email this morning! Office interview next week either Monday morning, or Tuesday afternoon. I assume this means I was one of the last one’s selected. AP, how many slots did you have available to choose from? Lastly, how does one go about bailing out of work to interview? In the few other cases the interviewer was flexible with interviewing over lunch or after work. In this case its a long 3 hour interview either in the morning or afternoon. So what is a good excuse these days?

KJH - Great news man… congrats! The chips are falling down and AF is taking over! The email I received on Friday just said that I was going to be invited back. I am supposed to get another email today with options for time slots. Can’t access my personal email from the office. So, I’m not sure which options were made available to me. I am flying out of town the evening of the 13th for vacation so I have the 14th - 18th off. I’m going to try to swing something during the morning of the 13th… (“my travel plans have changed and I’m going to need to leave a day earlier”). The interviewer incorrectly wrote down the dates of my vacation (3rd - 18th instead of 13th through 18th). She still wanted to set something up, so I’m guessing there will be some flexibility moving interview times around. 3 hours of interview huh? Eat your wheaties that that morning.

Hey nice going to both of you. I hope your interviews go well, I am curious how it turns out and what it is like. I recently went thru a 2 1/2hr slugfest interview and shiver at the thought of what 3hrs could be like. As for an excuse to go to the interview…I believe this is exactly what sick days are for…when you are sick of your job and looking for another. Good luck fellas