what to take on after CFA?

Okay guys, in 90 days or so I will take on Level II, I know I will pass for sure… Same story with level III a year later… I am already thinking about what to do next, trying to make it a better calculated move… Sometimes I run across statements that make me think the CFA is worthless, but I am in it, and I am going to get it done… I am thinking about CPA because their does not seem to be question about its value, and a CPA+CPA combo would be good for a corporate finance path and maybe CFO in long term… Anyone who would like to give advice about what is valued especially in the U.S. market is welcome to speak his opinion. Thanks guys

How about looking for a job, there is no substitute for experience.

Mzungu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about looking for a job, there is no > substitute for experience. Agreed. And I know English is not your first language so take this as advice and not a dig, but your writing style could use a touch up. Being able to communicate effectively and coherently in writing is critical in the corporate workplace. A good buddy of mine has a great job in sales engineering (in the IT sector) that he’s had for 8 years with the same company - doesn’t even have a degree! He makes about 150k Canadian for very, very little amount of hours worked (he works from home so days when he’s not traveling he puts in probably 2-3 hours of work on average). But because he’s great at his job and has the experience, he’s set. A colleague of his that wasn’t so great and also very poor writing (his work emails looked like a 12 year old’s msn chat, lol) ended up being let go, one of the deciding factors being his ‘lack of professionalism’. So just because someone may have a CFA and another guy may have a CFA +, does not mean the latter is more skilled or better for a particular job, there’s lots of intangibles in the workplace. And finally (sorry to blab on), think how impressive it would be if you come maintain very good english in a foreign country for many years (with english not being your native language). If i were the interviewer, i’d be impressed! Hope this helps.

spreads Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mzungu Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How about looking for a job, there is no > > substitute for experience. > > > Agreed. And I know English is not your first > language so take this as advice and not a dig, but > your writing style could use a touch up. Being > able to communicate effectively and coherently in > writing is critical in the corporate workplace. A > good buddy of mine has a great job in sales > engineering (in the IT sector) that he’s had for 8 > years with the same company - doesn’t even have a > degree! > > He makes about 150k Canadian for very, very little > amount of hours worked (he works from home so days > when he’s not traveling he puts in probably 2-3 > hours of work on average). But because he’s great > at his job and has the experience, he’s set. A > colleague of his that wasn’t so great and also > very poor writing (his work emails looked like a > 12 year old’s msn chat, lol) ended up being let > go, one of the deciding factors being his ‘lack of > professionalism’. > > So just because someone may have a CFA and another > guy may have a CFA +, does not mean the latter is > more skilled or better for a particular job, > there’s lots of intangibles in the workplace. > > And finally (sorry to blab on), think how > impressive it would be if you come maintain very > good english in a foreign country for many years > (with english not being your native language). If > i were the interviewer, i’d be impressed! Hope > this helps. Thanks for the advice, i see what you meen… But there is some missunderstanding… I grow up in the U.S., and graduated high school in the U.S… So my written and spoken english are good… I just dont bother spell or do grammer correctly on AF, its like a chat room for me… Seems you guys take it more seriously and think that I cant write properly… But you do have a good point, if i keep it up, this will end up being my english and i would lose my ability to speak and write properly So from this post onwards I am going to try and write each post as if it was written to a boss, good practice…

Mzungu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about looking for a job, there is no > substitute for experience. If you read other posts by me, I am looking for a job. But unfortunatly I am in a country where your religion, last name, and who you know are what will get you a job. I am from a minority disliked sect, due to the fact that a political party from my sect uses force to impose things on others. I am from an average family. I spent my years before in the U.S. so I have no contacts here. So the reality is, I am very qualified but in these third world countries it does not matter much. Which is crazy because you would think the firm would want the qualified person. No wonder why we do not have a good economy… My best luck is to keep looking for work, but I do not have my hopes up, so I should focus on things that will pay me back when I am in the U.S…

Where do you come from?

I am in Lebanon. My BBA is from A.U.B which is considered the best university in the Arab world, and I also have top grades. I have a computer science minor and experience as an intern programmer. I also have international experience; I did four years of schooling in the U.S. I compete in bodybuilding and power lifting and that gives me a very strong personality. When you get up on stage wearing a thong; you lose any feelings of shyness and you become very aggressive (not physically). So you would think when it comes to fresh graduates, I am as good as they get in my market. Notice the word my market. I don’t have to compete with Harvard graduates, my degree is as good as it gets in this region, and I am a well rounded person. Unfortunately in Lebanon it does not matter. A fresh graduate of another Lebanese university (which would be considered very inferior), who has no skills or personality whatsoever will take the job, and I would still be unemployed. For you guys in developed countries, you would think I am full of crap and I am just looking for a scapegoat. It is reality here, a sad reality. This must be one factor why my country cant progress, the candidate is selected not based on competence but based on whether they are of the right sect and family.

>ahmadmadoff >When you get up on stage wearing a thong; you lose any feelings of shyness and you >become very aggressive (not physically) Im sorry but this made my day, I just couldnt stop laughing, I was nearly crying! I think you are thinking about things too much, you know what you want to do. I think your main priority is to get good work experience, no matter where it is. CFA or no CFA, you need experience, thats my main priority anyway, and I am from Ireland not exactly the land of oppurtunities either, but I make best with what I can and my situation. For example I am applying for jobs anywhere they are going, I wouldnt narrow it down to one location, not in this job environment.

ped, i applied for jobs in the craziest places… i applied with firms thats wana take me to iraq and afganistan… i hear you, i need experience, i just need to break into the work force… i ment for that to be funny, (check out my example that links BJ’s to inflation on Level II forum), everyone here needs a laugh, most of us dont have it made, if we did, we would be kicking back doing whatever it is rich people do you are correct, i am thinking too much… when your not working, you can only study so much, then you take a break, your brain just gets thinking !!! if i was working, i am sure i would not be like this :frowning: anyway 10x ped, your one of the nice guys on AF, most guys on AF are nice :slight_smile:

You a freak of nature ahmad

My advice to you and many others on this forum: Stop taking exams and get some good work experience. I have some idea as to why people on this board are so obsessed with exam-taking, but I don’t see a good reason why they feel that way. There are tons of smart people in the workplace that can pass exams, but relatively fewer people that also have the proper work background and the soft skills needed to co-exist in the workplace.

Man you are a character. Have you applied throughout the ME? Maybe places like Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, or Bahrain are options. I understand you want to come here, but job mkt is difficult enough for americans as is.

Studying for exams isn’t a bad thing to do while you are looking to get a job. The job can take a long time to find in this environment, and the outcome is not under your control, so you might as well do things that will improve your knowledge in the meantime. Tests aren’t the only way to do that, but I wouldn’t knock them just because they are test. Just never turn down a real job that’s on your career track “because you have to study for this-or-that exam.” That’s a bad idea.

I started down the CPA track after finishing the CFA program for the same reasons you listed (A CPA is all but required if you want to be a CFO of a public company). Obviously work experience is the most important, but if you’re looking for something to do in addition to a good job, I say go for the CPA. It’s a cakewalk after the CFA.

“For you guys in developed countries, you would think I am full of crap and I am just looking for a scapegoat. It is reality here, a sad reality. This must be one factor why my country cant progress, the candidate is selected not based on competence but based on whether they are of the right sect and family.” Ahmadmadoff, welcome to America.

ahmadmadoff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am in Lebanon. My BBA is from A.U.B which is > considered the best university in the Arab world, > and I also have top grades. I have a computer > science minor and experience as an intern > programmer. I also have international experience; > I did four years of schooling in the U.S. > I compete in bodybuilding and power lifting and > that gives me a very strong personality. When you > get up on stage wearing a thong; you lose any > feelings of shyness and you become very aggressive > (not physically). > So you would think when it comes to fresh > graduates, I am as good as they get in my market. > Notice the word my market. I don’t have to compete > with Harvard graduates, my degree is as good as it > gets in this region, and I am a well rounded > person. > Unfortunately in Lebanon it does not matter. A > fresh graduate of another Lebanese university > (which would be considered very inferior), who has > no skills or personality whatsoever will take the > job, and I would still be unemployed. > For you guys in developed countries, you would > think I am full of crap and I am just looking for > a scapegoat. It is reality here, a sad reality. > This must be one factor why my country cant > progress, the candidate is selected not based on > competence but based on whether they are of the > right sect and family. Hahaha, thats hilarious. Maybe you should more seriously look into immigrating to a country like Canada, Australia or the United Kingdom where your ethnic background will not be such a hindrence to you’re career. With that being said, as an immigrant in those countries you will face fairly significant challenges in having your academic background recognized. However there are also diasporia communities and social services that can help you get on your feet after you immigrate. There are alot of Lebanese in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver… p.s. I thought all the diferent sects in lebanon had militias, druze, christian, shia, is that not correct?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My advice to you and many others on this forum: > Stop taking exams and get some good work > experience. I have some idea as to why people on > this board are so obsessed with exam-taking, but I > don’t see a good reason why they feel that way. > There are tons of smart people in the workplace > that can pass exams, but relatively fewer people > that also have the proper work background and the > soft skills needed to co-exist in the workplace. I agree with you however my belief is that alot of soft skills, i.e. critical thinking, communication and interpersonal abilities are either innate or are only really developed through life experience or in the liberal arts which are often dennigrated on this forum.

Uhh…I’m half Lebanese - to the untrained eye, many people can’t identify Lebanese people (especially the Christians with non Muslim names). Many Lebanese do not sport the so-called ‘Khakis’ skintone; actually, some are very pastey! In essence, just tell them your Turkish or Greek! :slight_smile:

I’ve applied for a research Masters, which I hope to upgrade to a Doctorate half-way through. I’ve had enough of exams and thought a research higher degree would be more interesting. After the CFA, I’ll be happy if I need never write another exam for the rest of my life.

^ What are you researching and where?