What would you do with $420m?

cause i like my job and its pretty chill.

To be clear, a 2002-2005 t-top. The second gen looks like the R8’s bastard stepbrother.

I’d buy a Supermarine Spitfire or a P51 and keep working on my career. If that doesn’t work I’d become a wealth manager and inject my cash whenever I need to hit sales targets for bonuses.

The X-Files episode 2 2016 fox tv devil GIF

I’d get my master’s, finish the CFA program, ask a company if I can be one of the their research analyst if I invested $20MM into the firm and see how much bs I can get away with since I have money invested, buy some land for horses and a shooting range, buy a driving range, get a golf membership at a country club, buy a few new guns, build a nice walk-in humidor (for cigars and wine), and buy a new set of 2018 MB Titleist golf clubs.

I am not so sure. Whenever these questions get asked, I think to myself of all the stuff I wouldn’t change. I mean, I don’t spend all the money I have now and I enjoy “managing” money more than spending it.

I’d probably quit my job and try to get another job. In the mean time, I probably would start investing in small businesses because I enjoy investing. And maybe that would become my new job.

:grin: :smiling_imp:

I suspect you’ll get something in the end, but it ain’t gonna be $210MM.

It might end up costing them $210K over the next 18 years.

Ehhh. Why bother then? (No offense to STL)

210K ain’t nothing to sneeze at for 30 seconds work.

Ehhh. Why bother then? (No offense to STL)

id immediately donate at least $100m to Harvard even though i never attended because thats what all the sophisticated intellectuals do and Ill be part of the exclusive group… have them name every toilet in my honor so everyone knows that im the shiz

I’m a simple guy:

Buy a house in Florida next to my wife’s sister so she can see her in the cold months. Buy a second house in Colorado for warm weather and the mountains.

Build an addition on each for a gym and a place to keep the half-dozen or so high end carbon fiber bikes I’d buy.

Endow a couple million dollar scholarship fund for finance students at undergrad and grad school alma maters.

Spend every summer being a fanboy at the Tour de France.

It’s crazy that you have to pay tax on lottery winnings in the US.

^why is that so crazy?

that’s crazy??

One would think that by donating the money you would get around much of the taxes, so why not set up a company for yourself and donate all of the winnings to the company?

Here’s a tangential question. If you did come into money like this, would you start spreading it around to friends and family etc? Personally I would be inclined to give family members $10m each and let them get on with it. I’d lob $1m to a bunch of close friends and maybe even some colleagues but on the clear understanding that it was the last payment they’d get -I’d probably still buy people ridiculous presents and pick up the tab for things though.

The only guy I know who has >£50m is my wife’s dad and he plays an absolute blinder in terms of keeping close control of everything and never really giving anyone anything. He does things like asking for a big family dinner to be arranged when he visits his hometown at a restaurant that he chooses and then sits there as people awkwardly split the bill and pay up. It doesn’t help that his extended pool of relatives are dirt poor eg bus drivers, retail works etc and probably don’t go to eat out ever. Over the years he’s led them all to believe that he will sort them out in his inheritance but actually it will all go to his 4 children if he hasn’t spunked it all by the time he eventually shuffles off this mortal coil.

For him it’s a necessary strategy though as he is a total cunt and if he gave anyone cash they’d never speak to him again.

in the UK the lottery winnings are tax free. Why should the tax man get a massive windfall?