Where do you stand for Sept exam?

I am about to finish my first reading but hardly remember anything though. One more reading (plan to finish by Labor day) and then tests and practice problems

Just finished my first pass through the first Schweser book. Still need to go back and finish about half of the essay questions in the book. Hope to crack book two tonight.

Is anyone reading the curriculum materials?

I read about half of the current topics book, but stopped. Will revisit one I am through the schweser curriculum, if necessary.

A month and few days to go, I need to step up and start putting more time on this test.

All depends on what you already know through work experience.

I have given hedge funds and current topics a read. I just took CFA Level 3 so I actually feel pretty confident in my background carrying me. Will devote about two hours a day until the end.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have given hedge funds and current topics a > read. > > I just took CFA Level 3 so I actually feel pretty > confident in my background carrying me. Will > devote about two hours a day until the end. I took Level III this year as well, but I was told by several people “don’t underestimate the exam”. It has gotten harder over the past two years, apparently.

I concur. I took (and passed) CAIA L2 last year; it was quite difficult. There are many minute topics that could be covered. The CAIA is much more of a “trivial pursuit” exam than the CFA, which makes it harder to prepare for. There is *some* carryover from the CFA curriculum but not enough to give you a pass on any topic (except for Ethics–which is identical).

Hoping my industry experience helps because at this rate I have no shot at getting to 200 hours of studying. On pace for 150, maybe 175 on the high side. May get a kick in the pants if I find out I failed the CFA next week. Then I would hagve to pass the CAIA because failing two exams back to back would be bad for the career.

2nd time taking exam, failed in March as I was totally overwhelmed with too much material in too little study time. Tried to get the latest possible date but the best I could do was the 21st. Need some help on working backwards on the Binomial model as I am a little stumped…can anyone offer some assistance?

binomial trees just require practice. There aren’t any shortcuts. For me, they get fairly easy after a while because they are all structured the same. That being said, I am getting my a$$ handed to me right now by the first 7 sections. Barely cracking 70% on the practice questions and I’ve almost finished half of the questions on these sections. Really have to make up some ground now. Going to be a tough 30 days. Can’t afford to fail, especially if I tanked Level III of the CFA.

I am part of the level 3 CFA club who is also writing the CAIA level 2… I am 90% done reading through the Schweser material for the first time. There are some parts which I think are pretty easy, but others where I take a step back and am surprised by the level of detail. A bit behind… So gotta step it up for the final month push… But if I pass level 3 on Tuesday I am going to take a couple days off to celebrate regardless haha.

Soccertom9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am part of the level 3 CFA club who is also > writing the CAIA level 2… > > I am 90% done reading through the Schweser > material for the first time. There are some parts > which I think are pretty easy, but others where I > take a step back and am surprised by the level of > detail. > > A bit behind… So gotta step it up for the final > month push… But if I pass level 3 on Tuesday I > am going to take a couple days off to celebrate > regardless haha. I am giving myself one day to celebrate and I’m still going to try to knock out an hour and a half of studying in the morning tomorrow. Then it’s off to the Sox afternoon game because pass or fail I am not going to want to be at work and I will need some alcohol.

Well I failed Level III of the CAIA. I am going to take out my frustrations on this exam! May as well go hell bent for the silver now that I missed the gold.

Ahhhhhh I am really sorry to hear that big ML… Last year I failed level 3 and I went into total study mode for CAIA Level 1 and passed with flying colours. More importantly though it got me disciplined for level 3 CFA this year. Your gonna rock it.

Soccertom9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ahhhhhh I am really sorry to hear that big ML… > > > Last year I failed level 3 and I went into total > study mode for CAIA Level 1 and passed with flying > colours. More importantly though it got me > disciplined for level 3 CFA this year. > > Your gonna rock it. Thanks. Whatever happens Level III really highlighted the fact that now with a baby I need to be that much more diligent about lead time, organization and the quality of my study time.

Just passed level 3 CFA and I find it much more difficult to digest the material in this exam. I’m not good at remembering facts- I like to be able to work things out. With CFA I definitely had eureka moments where I felt everything came together and made sense. Not feeling that here so not really all that confident! Are there any level 2 passers that could explain what to expect in the essay section?

holiday Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just passed level 3 CFA and I find it much more > difficult to digest the material in this exam. I’m > not good at remembering facts- I like to be able > to work things out. With CFA I definitely had > eureka moments where I felt everything came > together and made sense. Not feeling that here so > not really all that confident! Are there any level > 2 passers that could explain what to expect in the > essay section? I feel slightly different about the material. Because there is so much less material in the CAIA versus the CFA and the fact that the structure of the exam doesn’t lend itself to long, in depth questions I have found it somewhat easier to prepare for (just judging by my Level I pass and practice question scores). As far as the essays, I found the study guide somewhat useful. They referred to it several times on the orientation webex, so I took a long look at it last night and found it helpful.

Hi bigML Where can I find the webex? Is it on the CAIA website? Cheers