Where do you study?

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a hard time finding a good place to study. The library is only open till 8pm Monday through Wednesday and closes earlier on other days. I have found it difficult to study at my workplace after a long day and need a chage in venue. Anyone out there have some creative study locations? Thanks in advance.

Hotel rooms - I did most of my studying by checking into hotel rooms. Call ahead and have them set up a conference table with lamp in the room which is the center of your studying. Then roam around the room with Schweser on the sofa and CFAI on the bed. Change study modes and topics frequently and you can get in lots of study time this way with no distractions and you can get room service. Works much better than staying at home and telling your wife “Honey stay quiet and out of this room unless and until I ask you to bring me some food or drink item that I specify”

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hotel rooms - I did most of my studying by > checking into hotel rooms. Call ahead and have > them set up a conference table with lamp in the > room which is the center of your studying. Then > roam around the room with Schweser on the sofa and > CFAI on the bed. Change study modes and topics > frequently and you can get in lots of study time > this way with no distractions and you can get room > service. Works much better than staying at home > and telling your wife “Honey stay quiet and out of > this room unless and until I ask you to bring me > some food or drink item that I specify” Joey, I must say, many wives wouldn’t like the idea of their hubbys going off to “study” in a hotel room every weekend!

My best “creative study location” would be a church. churches have tons of “sunday school” rooms that are completely empty 6 days and 7 nights a week. Little to no distractions and noise, plenty of room, and they’re very happy to accomadate you if you’re generally polite. Plenty of tables, chairs, etc. No room service, but then again its also free and won’t worry the wife =0). Just walk in, find a church employee (easy unless its a Monday, they usually take Mondays off, and ask for a room you could use. They’re practically not allowed to say no to you, especially if it’s an evangelical church (Baptist, Methodist etc), like most in Atlanta are.

University libraries usually stay open later than city libraries, plus you can’t beat all the “scenery” when you take a break!

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hotel rooms - I did most of my studying by > > checking into hotel rooms. Call ahead and have > > them set up a conference table with lamp in the > > room which is the center of your studying. > Then > > roam around the room with Schweser on the sofa > and > > CFAI on the bed. Change study modes and topics > > frequently and you can get in lots of study > time > > this way with no distractions and you can get > room > > service. Works much better than staying at > home > > and telling your wife “Honey stay quiet and out > of > > this room unless and until I ask you to bring > me > > some food or drink item that I specify” > > Joey, I must say, many wives wouldn’t like the > idea of their hubbys going off to “study” in a > hotel room every weekend! Especially if they didn’t pass…

Yeah, but when I go to university libraries I just miss the good old days and wonder why I was too shy to ask the best people out…

When I lived in Buckhead I went to the Starbuck’s near Piedmont and would work for a few hours there. The music is usually good, there’s almost always room. Not sure where in ATL you are. Not really that creative, but it got the job done. -also thinking back on it, I watched a cop tackle a woman that took a swing at him right outside the place; never quite felt as safe. The moral is probably to avoid SBUX in ATL. cfaless84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I live in Atlanta, GA and have a hard time finding > a good place to study. The library is only open > till 8pm Monday through Wednesday and closes > earlier on other days. I have found it difficult > to study at my workplace after a long day and need > a chage in venue. Anyone out there have some > creative study locations? Thanks in advance.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, but when I go to university libraries I just > miss the good old days and wonder why I was too > shy to ask the best people out… So do it now? Seriously, preparing for the CFA should build your confidence in all areas.

I study in my car in the parking lot if the weather’s not too cold.

Starbucks on the UES

Yeah, this is a tough one, unless you’re a millionaire and can afford 180 nights at the Sheraton. What was your Plan B, Joey? Buy the library and set your own hours? You can get a change of venue at work by going to a conference room, the cafe or an empty office

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hotel rooms - I did most of my studying by > > checking into hotel rooms. Call ahead and have > > them set up a conference table with lamp in the > > room which is the center of your studying. > Then > > roam around the room with Schweser on the sofa > and > > CFAI on the bed. Change study modes and topics > > frequently and you can get in lots of study > time > > this way with no distractions and you can get > room > > service. Works much better than staying at > home > > and telling your wife “Honey stay quiet and out > of > > this room unless and until I ask you to bring > me > > some food or drink item that I specify” > > Joey, I must say, many wives wouldn’t like the > idea of their hubbys going off to “study” in a > hotel room every weekend! Yeah, she left me in the middle of studying for LIII. I passed 3/3 and didn’t like her much anyway. Gotta make choices in life.

drs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Starbucks on the UES which one? the one on the corner of 81st and second ave is my favorite. very study-friendly environment, esp on the second floor… i also like libraries. the NYU one for example is great, esp during finals season (may) when you can really get into study-mode. the NY public library at bryant park is quite nice as well. in the HUGE reading room on the third floor…

misslee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > drs Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Starbucks on the UES > > > which one? > > > the one on the corner of 81st and second ave is my > favorite. > very study-friendly environment, esp on the second > floor… > > > > > i also like libraries. > the NYU one for example is great, esp during > finals season (may) when you can really get into > study-mode. > the NY public library at bryant park is quite nice > as well. in the HUGE reading room on the third > floor… Are the NYU libraries open to the public or is it just past/present students?

SIBL Science Industry and Business Library on 34th and Madison is good too. They have bloomberg machines too if you don’t have access to one elsewhere.

cfaless84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I live in Atlanta, GA and have a hard time finding > a good place to study. The library is only open > till 8pm Monday through Wednesday and closes > earlier on other days. I have found it difficult > to study at my workplace after a long day and need > a chage in venue. Anyone out there have some > creative study locations? Thanks in advance. do you have a local university, typically their open late or 24 hours. Its hard to study at home, way too many distractions and a full liquor cabinent, i even have to take the modem out of my laptop so i dont surf AF

I studied at the following… Georgia Tech Library Mercer University’s library and cafeteria Borders by Phipps Starbucks anywhere Mercer’s cafeteria was the best venue…quiet, large tables, decent scenery…

Emory was a good one too. Ah, Phipps, what an uppity mall. kevin0118 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I studied at the following… > > Georgia Tech Library > Mercer University’s library and cafeteria > Borders by Phipps > Starbucks anywhere > > > Mercer’s cafeteria was the best venue…quiet, > large tables, decent scenery…

i study at work, lunch, commute, workout, and occasionally during sleep. i’m not kidding. i had dreams about particpial phrases while studying for the gmat