Where do you study?

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a hard time finding a good place to study. The library is only open till 8pm Monday through Wednesday and closes earlier on other days. I have found it difficult to study at my workplace after a long day and need a chage in venue. Anyone out there have some creative study locations? It would be nice to hear the routine of some of the recent candidates that passed L1. Thanks in advance.

I also need a change of scenery after a long day, but I find that going to a conference room or an empty office at work is sufficient for me. Even though it’s still “at work” there are a few added benefits: -I’m away from my phone -people don’t bother me -I don’t waste time packing-up, traveling to a new venue, un-packing. Good luck!

Will, Totally agree with your comment, but after a hard day at work, the only thing that’s on my mind is getting home and hitting a shower! In my case work-rest-study. Preferable location – my room. Milos

I get up 2-3 hours early and study in the morning in my home office. When I tried studying after work I found I couldn’t focus for more than an hour or so.

KurkVT, and how you manage to focus on your work after 3 hours of studing? Just curious…

Milos, Lots of coffee… But seriously my duties at my current job as a Corporate Financial Analyst are a joke compared to the difficulty of the CFA material. I need to be sharper when I am studying than I do when I’m at work.

Where are you located and when do you begin your day? I start at 6:30 so studying for 2-3 hours before work would be quite intense.

Study at home(apartment) at my dining room table. Leave work at 5ish, hit the gym for a quick jog, eat a little dinner, then hit the books from about 7:30 to 9:30 or 10. Repeat!!! Weekends, I try to get up at a decent time 9ish, gym, watch a little tv, then try to study from roughly 2p.m. until 5 p.m. or so on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of Coffee!

I don’t have to start work until 830 MWF and 930 Tuesday and Thursday. Like I said before I have it easy at my job so I can take the time in the mornings. I start at 5 everyday. I’m in Richmond, VA.

I studied at Starbucks almost every day during the week. The employees knew me by name and started getting my coffee ready right as I entered the door. Just have some headphones on and get a table that doesn’t face the doorway so your not bothered by people coming and going. Also, pretty soon they will start giving you free coffee, which isnt that bad,

I usually study at home weekdays. Weekends I camp it in the library. I’m not a coffee drinker, but the library lobby has fountain pop with free refills.

Board room at work, I spread out a ton. Some weekends dining room table or office in my condo. I do the bulk of my studying on weekends; now that golf is out of season I’ll be putting in even more time on the weekend. Weeknights I usually review and do questions. To feel like I have a social life sometimes I’ll hit up a coffee shop and read. Coffee is a must!

I’m not going to lie - I think the main purpose of my studying in starbucks was to actually be around people. It made studying not as laborious and hermitlike. I take that back, it was still laborious.

Jalmy8, I live in NJ and do the exact same thing. I know all the employees by name, even go out on occasional dates with the one barista girl, and get occasional free drinks. It makes me feel a little more social, although one downside is the background noise.

ya’ll sooo luck that coffee works for you guys… i can still fall asleep with loads of coffee… I have to drink redbull… =(

during the work day, I study in a conference room after work. save the time of commute, and could get food and hot water easily. during the weekend, I studied at university’s library, the study facility is good in university. Atlanta has georgia tech, GSU, GU, etc, will those universities’ library work for you? I generally don’t like to study at home, as I end up hang around, surf the internet, eating, relaxing, and finally go to bed without making any study progress… this kind of life is not easy to survive, after the exam, I stopped all my study activities, just relax… cfaless84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I live in Atlanta, GA and have a hard time finding > a good place to study. The library is only open > till 8pm Monday through Wednesday and closes > earlier on other days. I have found it difficult > to study at my workplace after a long day and need > a chage in venue. Anyone out there have some > creative study locations? It would be nice to hear > the routine of some of the recent candidates that > passed L1. Thanks in advance.

I think one of the main reasons that the CFA requires a college degree is so that you know where you should study, and where you study best.

weekdays: studied at home or at starbucks. neither was efficient because i’d either eat, watch tv/dvds, surf the net, or fall asleep when i was at home. starbucks was a lot better, but i could only study there for so long until they closed at 11. then i’d go home and fall asleep eventually. weekends: much more productive as i studied at universities’ libraries.

I find the most productive time of the day for me is in the morning. Between 8am to 11am, I get 3x the amount of work done as I do in the afternoon. Have you tried studying early in the morning?

I find the most productive time of the day for me is in the morning. Between 8am to 11am, I get 3x the amount of work done as I do in the afternoon. Have you tried studying early in the morning at home or at Starbucks/other coffee shop?