Where I wrote answers

I’m seeing posts on here that you weren’t supposed to write your answers on the page where they asked the questions. If I wrote all my answers right under the question (except where they provided the template), and didn’t use the extra lined paper they provided to answer the questions, will they not grade those answers? Am I screwed?

you only write answers on the template or lined pages. they will not look anywhere else.

Sorry man, yes, I believe they won’t grade those answers. Really sucks.

I thought so too, so I rewrote stuff I wrote under questions in the lined pages

I can’t believe this. I just contacted them. I really hope they wouldn’t not grade my exam because all my answers were written in the wrong place.

How did you fit your answer on those pages with the questions? Must have been microprint.

You’re probably not the only one out of the thousands of people who took the exam who did it.

Honestly the way the CFAI set it up is really stupid IMO. Why not just have templates for all answer choices? Also, why not provide the sample exams online in a similar format as the real exam? That would probably reduce the confusion come test day. Makes no sense.

Agree 100% with CFA blackbelt

I can not believe this as there is no place in question page to write all your answers, you are crasy?

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Honestly the way the CFAI set it up is really > stupid IMO. Why not just have templates for all > answer choices? Also, why not provide the sample > exams online in a similar format as the real exam? > That would probably reduce the confusion come > test day. Makes no sense. CFAI’s official policy is that if you don’t use the template, but rather write them in the lined pages, they will grade it according to the lined pages. On the Level III exam, I wrote my answer on a lined answer page instead of on the template. Was my answer graded? CFA Institute grades answers that are written on pages labeled for a specific answer, regardless of whether you used the template provided. You will not be penalized if you did not use the template. Be reminded, however, that you waste valuable time by redrawing a template that is already provided for you. Instructions in bold print immediately following a question will direct you to the page numbers of the template if a template is provided. Candidates should answer on the templates provided and should follow the instructions given in the template. Answers written on the question pages or on the pages marked “Intentionally Left Blank” are not graded. http://www.cfainstitute.org/utility/faq/Pages/index.aspx

Oh man… this thread is making me sick. I wrote directly under the questions, because i write very very small and hate having to flip back and forth to pages. I used the template when they asked, other than that… wrote under the questions. I even specifically saw about half way through the test where on the bottom of one of the pages it said “will not be graded if you write here”, but it was on one of those pages that was half blank and was talking about the blank portion. I checked every single page in the book after that, and no such warning was written on any of the pages, so i thought i was ok. Seriously hope this doesn’t fk me over.

Completely agree – I consider myself fortunate to not have become a victim of lined/unlined pages, writing under questions, although I did not write one answer in the template but referenced it to the page I had written the answer CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Honestly the way the CFAI set it up is really > stupid IMO. Why not just have templates for all > answer choices? Also, why not provide the sample > exams online in a similar format as the real exam? > That would probably reduce the confusion come > test day. Makes no sense.

mark, I would suggest writing them a message saying what you wrote below. I’ve already sent them a message with an explanation for why I wrote my answers in the wrong area. If enough of us made this mistake and contact them, I think we have a better chance. Another thing that makes me hopeful, is there must be a number of people who make this mistake every year. There are thousands of people taking the exam, so there have to be a couple every year, and I’ve never seen a story on here about someone failing the exam because they wrote their answer in the wrong area. markCFAIL Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh man… this thread is making me sick. I wrote > directly under the questions, because i write very > very small and hate having to flip back and forth > to pages. I used the template when they asked, > other than that… wrote under the questions. > > I even specifically saw about half way through the > test where on the bottom of one of the pages it > said “will not be graded if you write here”, but > it was on one of those pages that was half blank > and was talking about the blank portion. I > checked every single page in the book after that, > and no such warning was written on any of the > pages, so i thought i was ok. > > Seriously hope this doesn’t fk me over.

They should just go all item set and save them and us the hassle.

I labelled everything A, B, C, D, i, ii, iii or at least I think I did, I was in the zone in the AM.

I agree that the format of the booklet is terrible. I had 2 templates that I missed, but I referenced my lined pages that I used and knew not to waste time writing again. they should just have question, then template or lined, etc. flipping back and forth is such a PITA. overall if you are using more pages than they provide you, you’re probably writing too much. i hope that the CFAI grades all of your papers no matter where you wrote. that would be pretty awful in a time crunched exam like that to not grade q’s in a booklet no matter where the answers are if the answers are written somewhere and labeled.

On the Level III exam, I wrote my answer on a lined answer page instead of on the template. Was my answer graded? CFA Institute grades answers that are written on pages labeled for a specific answer, regardless of whether you used the template provided. You will not be penalized if you did not use the template. Be reminded, however, that you waste valuable time by redrawing a template that is already provided for you. Instructions in bold print immediately following a question will direct you to the page numbers of the template if a template is provided. Candidates should answer on the templates provided and should follow the instructions given in the template. Answers written on the question pages or on the pages marked “Intentionally Left Blank” are not graded. http://www.cfainstitute.org/utility/faq/Pages/index.aspx OH GOD PLEASE I HOPE THIS IS TRUE!!

I wasted some time writing the answers in the lined pages then discovering the template on the page after. Scratched everything out and rewrote it in the template just to be safe…

That layout was crazy. Wish the priors printed like that so you would know how it will actually look…