Where you at....?

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just can’t seem to find the motivation. I’ve > tried reading behavioral finance, and it’s even > rather interesting, but I’m so burned out by the > CFA now that I wonder if I’ll ever be able to > light the fire again. There is nothing wrong with taking a break, Smarshy. We will have time to discuss material when you get back into studying in a few weeks.

Sure you will, you’ll even have the time to spoil us with your explanations-with-a-twist in May.

how are you guys/gals studying behave finance. It is very qualitative and not sure what are the most important aspects.

I am not doing this thing without Smarshy.

I haven’t got a clue what’s important. I’m just reading for now, watching video’s for Christmas and doing questions after that to see if I have any clue what’s important.

I read through the curriculum once w/o stopping to do any questions (though I do go through about 5 highlighters). After that…I will circle back and tackle on session at a time. I use q-bank as a guide to lead me to what is important and what I need to hit home on.

jbis is this your first time around?

first time on L3 Banged out L1 and L2 in June 07 & 08

Logged into Schweser today and saw this: Exam Countdown 222 Days until the exam :slight_smile:

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am not doing this thing without Smarshy. Don’t you worry. I’ll get my engine started up again as soon as my son (born Sept 10!) starts sleeping through the night. We’ll beat Level III to pulp.

You can’t use this excuse. I didn’t get any sleep for L2 due to son number 2. :slight_smile:

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am not doing this thing without Smarshy. > > > Don’t you worry. I’ll get my engine started up > again as soon as my son (born Sept 10!) starts > sleeping through the night. > > We’ll beat Level III to pulp. I want to finish reading through materials before dye date of my daughter (Dec 10th).

Smarshy, Maratikus: I must have missed you mentioning the new kids (both Smarshy’s new one Maratikus’s one on the way). If so, congratulations to you both. Looks like not all your time was spent studying. My new one arrives around the first week of April (child #3). And I’m too old to deal with sleep deprivation. So, I gotta get that first pass through done by end of January (CFAI for most of it, then Schweser for review). I’m about halfway through book 2. Behavioral finance was pretty interesting. BTW - If you want to read a fun book on behavioral economics, try Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely (you can find some of his stuff on Youtube). Nudge by Thaler and Sunstein also looks interesting.

thanks, busprof! Congratulations on the new baby! It must be hard to wait until April.

Hey everyone. I’m looking forward to posting and contributing a little more this year. I randomly posted to this site in the past and feel that I really need an extra boost to get through level III and I would like to give back as well. Like many of you, I have kids at home (two daughters born March 2007 and July 2008). I’m currently in the middle of sleep deprivation and trying to stomach this market daily…However, I am about to finish study session 3 (skipped 1 and 2). I plan on making a schedule starting in November and sticking to it - read all of the CFA material, then use the end of chapter Schweser bullets/study questions as review - then go through the DVDs and practice tests. I do suggest the DVDs after you have been through the material one time (at least for Level II it seemed to be good to see things from a different perspective). Good luck to all.

I’m working through the Cap Mkt Exp session (skipped ethics). I don’t know if it’s the current market environment or a lack of urgency from being 8 months out, but I’m not anywhere near the level of motivation that I had for L1 and L2. I couldn’t imagine having to retake one of those right now… Anyways, I think I just need some kind of set date (maybe after thanksgiving) or maybe a solid weekend of studying to get back in gear. It’s hard to just ‘flip the switch’ after having 5 months of relative peace.

read some of gips today in schweser. it made me want to quit.

I can’t get myself to get really going… looking forward to Q-Bank and the Videos. Maybe they can get me fired up.

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > read some of gips today in schweser. it made me > want to quit. Dude, why would you go to that now??? Read something interesting! BTW, are you prepared for some late night (at least on the east coast) study sessions for L3?

read risk management study session (14). Can’t stop wondering is the VAR running out of fashion now. Will people pause and re-think their heavy reliance on VAR for the firm wide risk management?