Where you at....?

Finally on SS 8. Way behind where I planned to be by now. It’s hard to find the time to study with everything going in the markets nowadays…

Haven’t even started. Keep telling myself: Mid-October, ok after the marathon, ok next week. I’m sure next week I’ll say ‘after Thanskgiving’. Prediction is that I’ll not crack a the curriculum books at all and not start until I order Schweser in late Feb.

just got the books… thinking of starting as i’d really like to spend alot less time in the spring than i did for level 2. any hints/advice on early studying??

i haven’t started :frowning: damn i’m such a procrastinator

ok, i’m finding it hard to find a soft spot to start. econ and corporate finance were good sections for that in level 2…

Where am I at? practice exams… (for FRM…)

yeah, i agree with OP… this material looks much easier to read and study, but probably much harder questions, even the multiple choice. can someone convince me that 2 hours studying a week this early is worthwhile? i’m not sure it is. i’m actually a proponent in level 2 of saving ethics for the last two months. if you learn it too early i think it just blends in with every other exam/learning you’ve ever had on similar subjects. i think the recency effect is worth something.

I’m not going to try too hard to convince you, but the idea behind reading the material now is simple repetition. You are not trying to actually master the material now and just occasionally review until the exam. You are still going to have to study it all again next spring. But, at that time, your studying will go quicker and you will retain more because it will be the second time through for you. I’m not necessarily interested in MINIMIZING overall study time, which this strategy may not, but rather in MINIMIZING my chances of not passing and also of minimizing the total disturbance to my family. By studying a bit now and a bit more later, I can do that.

I agree with plyon. Start early -> required study time per week is lower -> less stress and higher chance of success.

I am in the same boat. Repetition is the only way I can keep this stuff in my head. It takes me a minimum of three times at each subject before I think I can really understand it. So for me I can cram that into 3 months or spread it out over 9.

For those who have started “studying”: Are you guys reading the CFAI curriculum first, and hitting schweser in the spring? Or are you going straight to Schweser now for the 1st read? For L1 and L2 I read CFAI exclusively for the 1st passthrough, and then schweser from that point on. It might be stupid to switch things up now, but the CFAI stuff seems to be dragging on this time… not sure how much added benefit I’ve gotten from reading CFAI in addition to schweser in the past.

McLeod81 i am reading CFAI Text first. i will review the curricullum from CFAI text in round 2 and will revise with schewser in april ( thats the plan). i think amoung all the levels CFAI text are most important for Level 3 because it is very theorectical. SS 4 and SS5 are particularly difficult to grasp…

following shuaps in this strategy. It wont be an easy ride though

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For those who have started “studying”: > > Are you guys reading the CFAI curriculum first, > and hitting schweser in the spring? Or are you > going straight to Schweser now for the 1st read? > > For L1 and L2 I read CFAI exclusively for the 1st > passthrough, and then schweser from that point on. > It might be stupid to switch things up now, but > the CFAI stuff seems to be dragging on this > time… not sure how much added benefit I’ve > gotten from reading CFAI in addition to schweser > in the past. I am going through the CFAI texts first, then schweser. I will then go back to the texts if necessary, but only if I really think I need it. Otherwise I will get on the merry-go-round with schweser and keep hitting every topic over and over.

I’m reading through CFAI readings first, then I will solve problems and reread early next year. Finally, I will re-read Secret Sauce several times and solve problems/write essays.

Then dominate…

at SS9 but lost motivation already i am jumping to SS14 and hopefully this will motivate my reading again

are you guys writing notes already? i was just reading before but felt pretty aimless n my studying… started taking notes yesterday and doing all the concept checkers and it’s starting to come together…

I have just been reading. The thought of taking notes this early makes me sick.

I’m with mwvt on taking notes. I don’t think that is necessary. It might be very effective for some people but I prefer using Secret Sauce.