Who else is starting to study today??

A few of you state above that you are hitting the CFA text first and then using Schweser/Stalla. What is your reasoning for doing the material in this order? Why not review Schweser/Stalla first and then study the CFA text? Is it simply due to timing and the fact that the CFA text is available now and the Schweser/Stalla material is not available until October (roughly). The reason I ask is I have started to read the Schweser 2009 notes. I plan to have these complete by the second week of November and then it is onto the CFA text. Again… I am curious as to why some have chosen CFA text then Schweser/Stalla.

I find the Schweser text to be too concise sometimes and narrowly focussed on each LOS so I tend to read the CFA text first for background information before hitting Schweser for LOS mastery. This approach works for me.

I have also started… I think its best to start early that ways we have more time for revision and practice for the AM exam which has completely diff format from last 2 levels.

I’d love to start today but instead I’ll be studying for the Series 24. How terrible is that?

rothwise Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d love to start today but instead I’ll be > studying for the Series 24. How terrible is that? Did you just get promoted?

No. The plan was to pass level 3 this year and take it in the fall. The worst part is that my job doesnt even require it, but it “looks good”.

I have to order my series 24 crap tomorrow. Sooo not looking forward to it. Rothwise how quickly are you going to try and blow that test out?

its a trade-off between start studying now and burning out in the process or don’t recall anything in January OR starting full throttle beginning 2010… it really a difficult call!!

rothwise Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d love to start today but instead I’ll be > studying for the Series 24. How terrible is that? I am very very sorry. I started studying that at a previous employer but fortunately I moved to a different company/job which didn’t require it. Don’t bang your head on the desk too much while reading the material, it doesn’t help the retention.

Just ordered the 24 books Monday. Might give it the two week college try. My job isnt on the line but if i fail, it might hurt my spirit for the CFA test.

GMofDen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have to order my series 24 crap tomorrow. Sooo > not looking forward to it. Rothwise how quickly > are you going to try and blow that test out? We’ll have to link up on the FINRA forum…

wow look at all of those eager responses of people who started studying already! Now I don’t feel so alone!!! Thanks for all the good tips! I hope that by starting early we will be ahead of the curve! The key is not to get burned too early. I feel like there is so much to read since I plan to read both CFAI volumes and Schweser. Plus going through all the end of chapter questions will take some time - especially for me since I suck at essays! Again congrats to all that passed, I’m so excited for you guys/girls!!

Slow CFA studies are going to begin in 2 weeks. Already kinda cracked the books. Behavioral stuff is pretty interesting. Going to be much more relevant to my job so looking forward to L3. Series 24 in a week and a half is my plan then cfa. Great American Beerfest in late September. That’s a higher priority right now than both.

I started studying early for level 3. I think mid September. What I did was in excel made up a calendar of when I expected to study (ie 1 hour at lunch each week day, 3 days a week for two hours after supper, 1 day on the weekend at 8 hours). Then working back from the exam, I allotted myself a couple months for review/polishing, and then planned a week for each Study session and I think I had one extra week for every two sessions for catch up/review. This way I had enough slack time in there if I felt like taking a weekend off or not studying during Christmas, etc. Both methods allowed me to ensure I was getting in a good dose of hours and staying on schedule to have the two months to review at the end.

Yeah, I cracked the books, dammit. Reading the behavioral studies info almost doesn’t even count. Compare that with starting level 2 with multiple regression. That was fun, wasn’t it? I have been scared by the “Level 3 is the hardest” posts and figure I can get my feet wet with the info. And don’t give me the “you will burn out stuff.” It is going to take me a few swipes at the material before I get it down. I not very thmart.

You guys are insane. I could never have started this early and remembered anything come June.

Two week college try - you are one of those thwats who is just a joke. Did you pass level III or not? And if not, you think it can be done in two weeks.? Bye, bye. And the rest of this thread - believe - nobody passes level III in two weeks. NO PERSON.

I have the same plan as CFAFA. I started reading the material last week. I am not doing any problems, just reading lightly and trying to finish it all by December. In January I will start the Stalla class and will do what I always do, which is the class lectures and a ton of exams and this time the questions in the back of the CFAI books. I’m hoping that reading the material first will help as I have not really read the material in either LI or LII, for some topics I read the Stalla notes; but I have a feeling that reading is required this year as the material is not so formulaic (which I actually do not mind). I still put in a ton of hours and plan to put even more into LIII.

cdiem Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Two week college try - you are one of those thwats > who is just a joke. Did you pass level III or > not? And if not, you think it can be done in two > weeks.? Bye, bye. And the rest of this thread - > believe - nobody passes level III in two weeks. > NO PERSON. This has to be a feeble attempt at a joke.

Want to start studying earlier this time. But can’t seem to find the motivation. June looks so far away… I left it to the last month in the previous exam and it clearly didn’t work. Any advice of how to get moving?