Who here is doing the MBA & CFA combo?

Just curious who is studying for their CFA and doing their MBA at the same time. I know it sounds like a bad idea but I heard that they can actually complement each other very well if handled correctly. I just got into UofC (part-time) and was hoping to get some advice on how to handle the work load. Here is my situation: • Currently working at a FoF; approx 50-55 hrs/week, some light travel. • Retaking L2; failed 1st try :frowning: • Was wanting to sign up for FSA class to compliment CFA material. Is this a recipe for disaster or has someone done something like this and excelled? Thanks for the help!

It’s not a bad idea–in fact, it’s widely recommended to do the CFA/MBA combo. I’m doing the CFA/CPA combo and probably 6 or 7 years down the road, getting the MBA.

I am doing both, but under no circumstances will I be taking more than one class in the spring or summer (which starts two or three weeks before the Level 2 exam). My MBA core courses was a nice summary of Level 1. Some of my electives have been real help in for Level 2 (i.e. Treynor-Black, fixed income & derivatives). As for an FSA course - you should find out if the material is pertinent to what CFAI wants you to know. I was considering taking an FSA class this fall, but dropped it once I realized that 1) the broad, overall concepts that were going to be taught weren’t in line with what I need to know for Level 2, 2) the professor was an arrogant arse, 3) too much damn work, 4) I can’t stand the subject.

I cleared level I this June, will be writing level II next June. Also apping to schools currently for full time MBA starting Fall 08. I think it is a very good combo, but good to find more people in the same boat. My prob is that I dont have much work experience (2 years till date and 3 yrs till I join MBA next fall) this is coz i have a Masters in Science too… hope to find more people in the same situation…

me_here Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I cleared level I this June, will be writing level > II next June. Also apping to schools currently for > full time MBA starting Fall 08. ditto I want to get it done sooner rather than later when the opportunity costs are still relatively low.

Danteshek Wrote: > ditto > > I want to get it done sooner rather than later > when the opportunity costs are still relatively > low. Exactly…and also that I feel more enthusiastic to go thru all this pain while i am young and more ‘energetic’ (that kinda sounds wierd even as I say it!)

I’m much less energetic than I was when I was 14… and I’m only 26.

Righto…but guess what 26 --> 34 will do! scary aint it? Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m much less energetic than I was when I was > 14… and I’m only 26.

Haha. Are you in Australia by any chance?

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Haha. Are you in Australia by any chance? No, in Philadelphia…but age creeps in here too :wink:

Philadelphia–worst town ever?

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Philadelphia–worst town ever? No, that would be Detroit.

You know what is a great town, Lincoln, Nebraska…beauty.

I think Flint, MI one-ups Detroit

No, the answer is… BALTIMORE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cities_by_Crime_Rate#Highest_crime_rate

I’m doing MBA full-time and CFA (writing level 2 in June for the first time) together. Good combo, they complement each other in quite a few areas nicely.

I’m doing MBA part-time at Univ. of Chicago, just got done with L1, will shoot for L2 next year and am working full-time. And as someone mentioned before, will have to ease down on the MBA class workload in the Spring quarter next year.

im doing this, but im taking the mba to waterdown my concentrated finance knowledge

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know what is a great town, Lincoln, > Nebraska…beauty. thats only because you’ve never been to Lorenzo, NE

You always get me nola…damn.