Why Are There So Many Jerks In Fianance

I have never worked with an IT person whom I have deemed even close to competent. QED

spierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Personally, if you’re not a profit center, then do > your f’ing job and provide the profit center the > work they need, regardless of whether *you* think > it is important or not. I am a little confused about the accounting concept here. If there is no cost, where is the profit? FYI: Revenue - Cost = Profit

Activity X generates revenue. Activity Y’s only purpose is to support Activity X has costs and does not generate revenue. Therefore, Activity Y should be more than willing to support Activity X so that we can all get paid and stay in business. Ideally, this would be done without a bunch of whining. . . each party can be professional but Y needs to be sure X’s needs are being met so that the primary purpose of the business is carried out. X is in a better position to understand what is really important to the long-term success and day to day operations of the firm IMO. I don’t think this is unique to finance.

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Personally, if you’re not a profit center, then > do > > your f’ing job and provide the profit center > the > > work they need, regardless of whether *you* > think > > it is important or not. > > Most interesting post in a while. Wow. My > condolences to the poster’s colleagues. Although > I am sure he wouldn’t consider them as such. I treat my B/M O with respect, but don’t bitch to me about your problems or timing. You support me, I support your paycheck with that support and my own work. There’s a food chain in nature and one in finance. Personally, there are too many B/M O people with chips on their shoulders.

spierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Personally, if you’re not a profit center, then do your f’ing job and provide the profit center the work they need, regardless of whether *you* think it is important or not. I agree 100%. I too work in a “profit center” (for those of you who don’t work in finance: “profit center” is an aggrandized term for “sales”). I actually work in client service for a hedge fund. The other day, our portfolio manager (loser who sits at a Bloomberg terminal and lacks my knack for business development) asked me to do something. As I raised the back of my hand to b**** slap him, he retreated into his office, clearly realizing that I, as a profit center, am his superior in all regards. Later that day, I called the IT guy after my computer crashed. While he tinkered with the computer on my mahogany desk, I fondled myself as I mocked his thickly accented English, superior technical education, and relatively minuscule paycheck. He left in disgust without repairing my computer. I spent the rest of the day staring at a black screen, unable to function. I could not perform my job and I certainly could not repair my computer. I realized that I am utterly useless without technology and personnel to manage and repair the technology. For a moment, I questioned whether the IT guy is actually superior to me – No way could I do his job; Could he be taught to do mine? If he is capable of getting a 3.6 gpa in computer science, could he not master the art of powerpoint and lying with statistics? The moment quickly passed, however. I looked at my Park Avenue shoes, thought of my bank account and proceeded to fondle myself.

So we all agree then. It’s safe to say without one, we cannot have the other. Like EVERYTHING in life, except sea horses.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spierce Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Personally, if you’re not a profit center, > then do your f’ing job and provide the profit > center the work they need, regardless of whether > *you* think it is important or not. > > I agree 100%. I too work in a “profit center” > (for those of you who don’t work in finance: > “profit center” is an aggrandized term for > “sales”). I actually work in client service for a > hedge fund. The other day, our portfolio manager > (loser who sits at a Bloomberg terminal and lacks > my knack for business development) asked me to do > something. As I raised the back of my hand to > b**** slap him, he retreated into his office, > clearly realizing that I, as a profit center, am > his superior in all regards. Later that day, I > called the IT guy after my computer crashed. > While he tinkered with the computer on my mahogany > desk, I fondled myself as I mocked his thickly > accented English, superior technical education, > and relatively minuscule paycheck. He left in > disgust without repairing my computer. I spent > the rest of the day staring at a black screen, > unable to function. I could not perform my job > and I certainly could not repair my computer. I > realized that I am utterly useless without > technology and personnel to manage and repair the > technology. For a moment, I questioned whether > the IT guy is actually superior to me – No way > could I do his job; Could he be taught to do mine? > If he is capable of getting a 3.6 gpa in computer > science, could he not master the art of powerpoint > and lying with statistics? The moment quickly > passed, however. I looked at my Park Avenue shoes, > thought of my bank account and proceeded to fondle > myself. 200% agree. Sell the back office! Sell IT! Sell receptionists! Who needs them!? I can fix my own printer/reconcile my own trades/answer anyone that rings anytime! Buy profit centers with thousand of FO people like ME. Yeah! I love profit, we should buy more of them profit centres. Profit centres good, cost centre bad. Them and their f*in problems. I don’t want to hear the whines of these drones! Sell them all. I can do all the work I need with two tin cans and a piece of string. Sell, buy, buy, sell. Hey, my fkkin string broke. Maybe we should hire a string guy…?

I sense a lot of hostility here. Are you guys all abused IT people?

Finance also isn’t a game for people who get easily offended or upset. Which there seems to be a fair amount of around here. You gotta dish it back out if they throw it at you. It’s like with a girl, if she tossin it your way, you gotta throw it back at her, otherwise you’ll be forgotten. Just sayin.

Some of the stories on here are so detailed and hilarious. I love this place.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > joemontana Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > spierce Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > Personally, if you’re not a profit center, > > then do your f’ing job and provide the profit > > center the work they need, regardless of > whether > > *you* think it is important or not. > > > > I agree 100%. I too work in a “profit center” > > (for those of you who don’t work in finance: > > “profit center” is an aggrandized term for > > “sales”). I actually work in client service for > a > > hedge fund. The other day, our portfolio > manager > > (loser who sits at a Bloomberg terminal and > lacks > > my knack for business development) asked me to > do > > something. As I raised the back of my hand to > > b**** slap him, he retreated into his office, > > clearly realizing that I, as a profit center, > am > > his superior in all regards. Later that day, I > > called the IT guy after my computer crashed. > > While he tinkered with the computer on my > mahogany > > desk, I fondled myself as I mocked his thickly > > accented English, superior technical education, > > and relatively minuscule paycheck. He left in > > disgust without repairing my computer. I spent > > the rest of the day staring at a black screen, > > unable to function. I could not perform my job > > and I certainly could not repair my computer. > I > > realized that I am utterly useless without > > technology and personnel to manage and repair > the > > technology. For a moment, I questioned whether > > the IT guy is actually superior to me – No way > > could I do his job; Could he be taught to do > mine? > > If he is capable of getting a 3.6 gpa in > computer > > science, could he not master the art of > powerpoint > > and lying with statistics? The moment quickly > > passed, however. I looked at my Park Avenue > shoes, > > thought of my bank account and proceeded to > fondle > > myself. > > > 200% agree. > > Sell the back office! Sell IT! Sell receptionists! > Who needs them!? I can fix my own > printer/reconcile my own trades/answer anyone that > rings anytime! Buy profit centers with thousand of > FO people like ME. Yeah! I love profit, we should > buy more of them profit centres. Profit centres > good, cost centre bad. Them and their f*in > problems. I don’t want to hear the whines of these > drones! Sell them all. I can do all the work I > need with two tin cans and a piece of string. > Sell, buy, buy, sell. Hey, my fkkin string broke. > Maybe we should hire a string guy…? About the only thing I can’t do is run the email servers. IT isn’t that hard, I learned it on my own, got a job doing it for 3 years while in undergrad. I then learned SQL and database structure at my first job doing massive data analysis of a loan portfolio. It isn’t anything special. The biggest thing is that the BMO’s should realize they are there to provide a service, not the other way around. I couldn’t tell you how many snarky BMO people I’ve had to deal with to do simple things.

One of the biggest jerks I every met was in a pizza shop I worked at in HS. Why do so many jerks work in pizza shops?

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have never worked with an IT person whom I have > deemed even close to competent. I worked with one, he was really unique, knew a lot about finance too. But, yeah most of them are d-bags.

Every time I hear people use MBA lingo like “profit center” ,“strategic” ," value add", etc all credibility is instantly gone. Everyone should treat others as they want to be treated, IT department and all departments are on the same level with each other, if they weren’t then close that department down.

timotimo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Every time I hear people use MBA lingo like > “profit center” ,“strategic” ," value add", etc > all credibility is instantly gone. Everyone should > treat others as they want to be treated, IT > department and all departments are on the same > level with each other, if they weren’t then close > that department down. This has got nothing to do with “MBA lingo”, it has to do with reality. As far as my “credibility”, attacking the person, rather than the point, is silly. Your attack against the point, with all levels of an organization being the same, is nonsensical. Does that mean that the janitor is at the same level as the CEO? Or the wire room the same level as the head of prop trading? Really, get a grip. There is a fking pecking order. Not everybody can be a chief. I’m not at the top of my pecking order, I shut the fk up and do my work. That’s what BMO types should do also. I don’t care if you find it an inconvenience to fix my computer, if I ask you to do it and I respect your work, do the damn job. What’s humorous is that I’ve been in those jobs. When I worked IT I served 500 users, mostly tenured college professors. I ran around a campus and fixed their stuff. Nobody ever treated me poorly and I don’t treat the BMO people at my jobs poorly. However, I didn’t bitch either, I did my job. Being a department has nothing to do with equality, it has to do with usefulness. A BMO function has usefulness to the FO, it isn’t equal, but it is useful. it provides a service. It’s akin to saying the FO, which is subject to the clients of the bank, should be equal to the clients. Sorry, but that’s BS. A client may respect you, they may like you, but when they ask you to do something you’ve got two options, do it, or lose their business. You aren’t equal, you provide a service. Not being equal doesn’t mean you should be shut down, it just means you’re at a different level. Do you really want everybody to be the same? Are you a communist? Go back to your collective and pick some potatoes.

spierce Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > […] We have a winner.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One of the biggest jerks I every met was in a > pizza shop I worked at in HS. Why do so many > jerks work in pizza shops? Did he try to touch you in the darkness of the storage room?

^ I think he may have tried to spread his “sauce” in his “profit center”

The best thing you can do to someone not treating you with respect, is go to their car when you have a little bit of a turtle head poking out. Take a good thick cloth/napkin and get a gob of it and put it on the under-side of their car door handle.

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spierce Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > […] > > We have a winner. Ding, Ding. spierce is classic. Anger HOF material.