Why do you want CFA?

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is there any linguistical basis for those issues > or just a coincidence that all three (all 4 of you > count wshi68) make the same mistakes? Yes, there are no articles in Korean. You never refer to something with an “a” or “the,” so many times non-native speakers will omit it. Ordering of subject, verb and direct/indirect articles are also completely different. Example English -> “I want an apple.” Korean -> “Apple want” or “I apple want” Obviously this makes no sense in English but in Korean the rough translations I provided make complete sense. Pluralisation - There is no indication in Korean if a word is plural or not. It’s implied. If you see one, two or three apples, you can refer to it or them by the same word. Or you can refer to them as “two apple” or “many apple.” Anyway, there are a lot of differences between Korean and English so don’t be so harsh on someone who’s attempting to learn a seemingly alien language. It’s 100x easier for someone moving from a roman language such as Spanish or Italian to English than it is for an Asian person learning English.

Interesting stuff. Good to know I haven’t been working with retarded people all this time. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Back on track… Something to set me apart in my job search (just graduated from college), a great challenge, a good confidence booster… and chicks

studied math in undergrad, became interested in finance, figured this is the best way to start off and will probably allow me to get into a better finance graduate program in the future also money

It’s funny to read this language related post. Yes, it’s hard enough for people (especially those from a totally different language system) to learn English, let alone to challenge CFA program. Many Americans seem spoiled in this regard. They don’t have to put much effort to learn a second language because English is pretty much global standard - at least for now. I’m truly wondering what if CFA is in Korean or Chinese, can they meet us half way?

>I’m truly wondering what if CFA “I’m truly wondering what if (THE) CFA (EXAM)”…don’t tell me that the Korean language is also prone to ethics violations.

Language is definately a big challenge for me, but it also gives me another reason to study and work harder, A couple of years ago, I took series 7 and series 63 with another 2 guys in my group, both of them are native speakers and graduate from top 10 schools. At the end of the day I’m the only one who passed the tests at the first time. What I mean is everything is a double-edge sword. It all depends on your attitude! The CFA exam will be another challenge for all of us,I hope we all enjoy the learning process. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!

Good job, you only missed one “the” this time (in front of “series 7”). Kid’s learning.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good job, you only missed one “the” this time (in > front of “series 7”). Kid’s learning. Thank you. I will add “the” in front of “series 7” next time :slight_smile: Please be more harsh to my post, as I can take it happily.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good job, you only missed one “the” this time (in > front of “series 7”). Kid’s learning. Thank you, Professor English.

just had a quick look at the blog. its got some pretty useful advice, although i tend to agree. very nerdy…

Actually, “math” is an American problem, opposed to “maths” being a Korean problem. farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve worked with three Korean analysts and all of > them have the same specific grammar problems for > some odd reason. They often omit the words “a” and > “the” in sentences (see original post above), and > tend to unnecessarily pluralize specific words > like math (“maths”) and stuff (“stuffs”). I gave > up correcting them a long time ago, it seems to be > ingrained in the Korean-to-English translation.

“maths” is a British problem! (I’m kidding)

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “maths” is a British problem! (I’m kidding) Yeah, the Brits have a lot of problems. You know why? Because they sent their most intelligent people away to another country in the 1780s. They thought they were sending just convicts, but of course only intelligent people would uprise against such class segregation and go along with a plan to be sent far away to a modern day Shangri-la. It was actually their plan all along to be sent to a much larger land with nicer beaches, nicer weather, nicer surroundings, etc. Need proof they were left with all the boring people? Cucumber sandwiches! Nothing else needs to be said. :slight_smile:

farley wat are you doing here , go and teach english in japan

ha ha english teacher

it did help me to get into investment banking anyway, my reason is to make myself feel good same reason why i did a masters degree - differentiate myself from the crowd

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it did help me to get into investment banking > anyway, my reason is to make myself feel good > same reason why i did a masters degree - > differentiate myself from the crowd Which crowd is that where a Master’s makes you differentiated? :slight_smile:

The crowd at the corner of 145th St. and Malcolm X Blvd in Harlem.

anyonghaso