why june'08 pass rate is 35%?

do anyone of you know why pass rate has come down to lowest 35%…is it cuz denominator has increased drastically and lacking in preparation in aspirants…???

Are we talking about the CFA or Sunday morning church service?

Well June has a TON of participants and maybe the Dec. one has more retakers?

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well June has a TON of participants and maybe the > Dec. one has more retakers? good point amber. Good luck to your next try.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are we talking about the CFA or Sunday morning > church service? well…agreed that 35% shouldnot be so surprising but however it seems pretty low…as i heard that CFA level 1 pass rate comes around >40% …

ashish, did ya pass my mate? i believe you should have, considering you got into iit.

manavsachdeva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ashish, did ya pass my mate? i believe you should > have, considering you got into iit. i m level 1 ,dec’08 candidate …so not yet…

“…considering you got into iit” god i hate that load of crap … Indians are gonna be nowhere near the zenith with attitudes like that

Its nothing to do with Indians. Darius, I would suggest you to give JEE exam a shot and then you will define yourself what zenith would mean.

is there a difference in taking the exam from India or USA?

Darius, which century you living in mate? Indians are already all over the zenith with that attitude. Haven’t you noticed? Just look around you… The reason for me using that phrase - “considering you got into iit” - we dread the cfa exams that have pass rates of approx 35-40%. But consider the JEE. Every second Indian takes the JEE after school and only the top 5% qualify for admissions into one of the 7 or 8 IITs. i.e. top 5000 of more than 100,000 every year. Fancy that? That is why I am confident Ashish will make it on his first attempt. All three levels. Ashish, no pressure mate…

manavsachdeva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Darius, which century you living in mate? Indians > are already all over the zenith with that > attitude. Haven’t you noticed? Just look around > you… > > The reason for me using that phrase - “considering > you got into iit” - we dread the cfa exams that > have pass rates of approx 35-40%. But consider the > JEE. Every second Indian takes the JEE after > school and only the top 5% qualify for admissions > into one of the 7 or 8 IITs. i.e. top 5000 of more > than 100,000 every year. Fancy that? > > That is why I am confident Ashish will make it on > his first attempt. All three levels. > > Ashish, no pressure mate… Top 5%, it was 2% when I gave, and bro you forgot IT-BHU :slight_smile: … Writing JEE and CFA are two different things, and might agree with Darius on this one. Clearing JEE, and being successful in industry are not so higly correlated as perceived by some folks.

wouldn’t it look better in resume to have low pass rate :stuck_out_tongue: … hopefully 35% doesn’t include no-show

35% is only for L1. For all three levels considered, it comes down to .4*.5*.5=.1 , i.e. more like 10%. With rates dropping, it would be about 7% of those who get thru all 3 in first shot. Btw, if every second indian takes JEE, that only helps to make pass rates artificially lower. The population giving CFA is much less diverse.

Don’t forget this year around CFA had record number of candidates registered for the exams. Most probably 35% of those taking the exam is about the same (if not more) than the 39% in last December - numbers/individuals speaking. Perhaps the top scores determining the curve were really high too.

exotic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Btw, if every second indian takes JEE, that only > helps to make pass rates artificially lower. The > population giving CFA is much less diverse. very good point. you got what it takes to be a good analyst; see beyond what the numbers are suggesting. even i took the JEE and cleared it. but i always thought that the competition is like 1:8 or 1:10. if 5% is passing rate than i think 50% of the candidates were bunk.

seriously, too many unqualified folks are writing level 1. I have a friend who barely passed a mediocre college were writing CFA. Another girl who barely read english, have no financial background, selling beauty products, said she was writing cfa exam… i think even with the passing rate coming down, it does not mean the exam difficulty is getting harder, its just more unqualified candidiates are writing cfa exams… and it goes for all 3 levels.

Level 1 is multiple choice, no writing involved. You got the wrong exam.

Pass rates aside, CFA and JEE are very different tests. I would say a large percentage of people appearing at CFA can pass it if they seriously prepare for it and try 2-3 times; the CFA material is pretty accessible. As for JEE, even with lots of preparation, a large percentage of candidates would never make it; the level of fundamental understanding of subjects required is not achievable for a lot of people even if they keep practicing. Having said that, I completely agree that just because one gets through JEE does mean he is going be more successful. There are a lot more factors than just school and grades that determine how successful one is. I think luck is a big factor too. You are back to comparing and debating if an engineering graduate (MBA) from Stanford is going to be more successful compared to an engineering graduate (MBA) from a lower ranked school. There are other threads that have gone on and on about this.

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > harder, its just more unqualified candidiates are > writing cfa exams… and it goes for all 3 levels. How can an unqualified person write levels 2 and 3 ?? … may be level 1… but you need to pass level 1 to write 2 …