Will the MBA's Please Step Up

A 680 is not bad and within range. What was your split? If you think you can score a 680 or higher again, I would retake it. Showing that you retook it shows that you at least tried. But if you score a 620 the next time, then it will hurt you.

so if a person scored 590, 650 and then 750 with 3 tries, does that look worst then someone who took it once but scored 680?

homie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A 680 is not bad and within range. > > What was your split? > > If you think you can score a 680 or higher again, > I would retake it. Showing that you retook it > shows that you at least tried. But if you score a > 620 the next time, then it will hurt you. My split was 49Q, 32V. The verbal score was below any of my practice test scores. In fact, a week prior I did a 41 on verbal, although my average was closer to 35. My average quant was round 47-48 on practice tests. I think at some point you plateau with the material. Do you think I could retake the test, say in 2-3 weeks, with minimal studying and but maintain my skills (i.e., still score 47-49 on the quant, but maybe improve to 35-37 verbal)? Or will this only happen with continued studying? I’m struggling with the “additional study” aspect, especially because I have a handful of essays to crank out, and also because this test doesn’t really compare to the CFA or any college exam I’ve taken, where additional study time seems to correlate more strongly with improved results.

“so if a person scored 590, 650 and then 750 with 3 tries, does that look worst then someone who took it once but scored 680?” no. all the schools i’m aware of only consider your high score.

Was your verbal %tile below 80? That could actually be a bigger issue; however, strong essay’s or good grades in “Verbal” college courses could mitigate the risk…

ryguy904 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > homie Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > A 680 is not bad and within range. > > > > What was your split? > > > > If you think you can score a 680 or higher > again, > > I would retake it. Showing that you retook it > > shows that you at least tried. But if you score > a > > 620 the next time, then it will hurt you. > > > > My split was 49Q, 32V. The verbal score was below > any of my practice test scores. In fact, a week > prior I did a 41 on verbal, although my average > was closer to 35. My average quant was round > 47-48 on practice tests. > > I think at some point you plateau with the > material. Do you think I could retake the test, > say in 2-3 weeks, with minimal studying and but > maintain my skills (i.e., still score 47-49 on the > quant, but maybe improve to 35-37 verbal)? Or > will this only happen with continued studying? > > I’m struggling with the “additional study” aspect, > especially because I have a handful of essays to > crank out, and also because this test doesn’t > really compare to the CFA or any college exam I’ve > taken, where additional study time seems to > correlate more strongly with improved results. Are you a US citizen? What was your AWA? I believe you have to wait 30 days between tests. For the most part, your quant is more important than your verbal unless you’re an international student.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so if a person scored 590, 650 and then 750 with 3 > tries, does that look worst then someone who took > it once but scored 680? All schools only take your highest score when they report to the media and for statistical purposes. But they do see that you took the test 3 times. Even if they say that it doesn’t factor in, the bottom line is that they see all 3 scores. And going from 590 - 750 is going to raise some red flags. Either you’re a lazy bum slacker who tried hard this 1 time or an idiot who got extremely lucky or had an awesome teacher. Either way, someone should explain the score differeince in the optional so the adcomm doesn’t run to conclusions.

mlh97 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no. all the schools i’m aware of only consider > your high score. they consider all of your scores but only report the highest. from their perspective, this makes sense. they want both the maximum amount of data about the candidate and the highest possible mean GMAT score for prestige. diluting the scores would hurt the school by lowering the average GMAT. you better believe they want to know if you got a 700 on your first try and a 650 on your second try, though.

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mlh97 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > no. all the schools i’m aware of only consider > > your high score. > > they consider all of your scores but only report > the highest. > > from their perspective, this makes sense. they > want both the maximum amount of data about the > candidate and the highest possible mean GMAT score > for prestige. diluting the scores would hurt the > school by lowering the average GMAT. you better > believe they want to know if you got a 700 on your > first try and a 650 on your second try, though. this isn’t necessarily true. first, you don’t have to report them to the school when you take the test. on my recent application to chi i only had to report the score i wanted to adcoms to consider. i did send both scores to them when i took it, but i didn’t have to. also, adcoms from chi (both full-time as well as the students) have all told me they only make decisions based on the highest. i can’t say for other schools though, so maybe some want to know all of your scores.

so its not safe to take the GMAT for fun then? i was planning to take it for the sake of taking it. i guess it can hurt me to do that. i always thought you submitted your GMAT scores. guess that is not the case.

homie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you a US citizen? > > What was your AWA? > > I believe you have to wait 30 days between tests. > For the most part, your quant is more important > than your verbal unless you’re an international > student. Yeah, I’m a So Cal boy. It’s pretty embarassing that my verbal is so low! I don’t have the paper in front of me, but I think a 49Q is about 89 percentile and a 32V is about 63 percentile. AWA should come in the mail any day. I took the test about 2 weeks ago, that’s why I was saying I could take it in another 2-3 weeks. I’m aware of the 31 day rule. Cheers, RG

interesting analysis re: gmat scores and admittance: http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/p239229

mlh97 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > asdffdsa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > mlh97 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > no. all the schools i’m aware of only > consider > > > your high score. > > > > they consider all of your scores but only > report > > the highest. > > > > from their perspective, this makes sense. they > > want both the maximum amount of data about the > > candidate and the highest possible mean GMAT > score > > for prestige. diluting the scores would hurt > the > > school by lowering the average GMAT. you better > > believe they want to know if you got a 700 on > your > > first try and a 650 on your second try, though. > > > this isn’t necessarily true. first, you don’t have > to report them to the school when you take the > test. on my recent application to chi i only had > to report the score i wanted to adcoms to > consider. i did send both scores to them when i > took it, but i didn’t have to. also, adcoms from > chi (both full-time as well as the students) have > all told me they only make decisions based on the > highest. i can’t say for other schools though, so > maybe some want to know all of your scores. When you report your score to a school, Pearson reports all scores that you’ve rec’d in the last 5 years. Even though you don’t actually write it down on the application, the official score report shows all test scores within the last 5 years. Adcomms also say that they don’t have a minimum GMAT score and that a person with a 300 gmat score has a chance to get admitted because they look at applications “holistically.” Everything they say is not true. I’m not saying that Chicago factors in all of your scores. Just that they see all of your scores and whether that psychologically affects the reviewer… well, who knows. The bottom line is to only take the test when you are ready and only retake it if you can score higher. Don’t think you can take it 5-6 times until you get lucky and hope noone notices.

> When you report your score to a school, Pearson > reports all scores that you’ve rec’d in the last 5 > years. Even though you don’t actually write it > down on the application, the official score report > shows all test scores within the last 5 years. Exactly right. > Adcomms also say that they don’t have a minimum > GMAT score and that a person with a 300 gmat score > has a chance to get admitted because they look at > applications “holistically.” Everything they say > is not true. yes, this is just marketing. for both undergrad and grad school, they want the largest number of applicants. they will tell you that “everyone has a chance” because of their “holistic method” but we know this is not true. they are basically trying to manage the yield at their school (lower yield = higher prestige). it’s possible that a person with a 300 (or some other very low score) could get in. it has probably happened, but don’t count on it happening again. i am sure the chance of this happening is <1%.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so its not safe to take the GMAT for fun then? i > was planning to take it for the sake of taking it. > i guess it can hurt me to do that. > > i always thought you submitted your GMAT scores. > guess that is not the case. Not a smart idea…I did this and since I was only taking it for fun went out drinking the night before and hadn’t really cracked a book. I got like 2 hours sleep and I was so hung-over mid-way through the verbal I stopped even reading the whole question and just started picking letters just so I could go home and lie down. Somehow I got a 560 but that was a miracle. I took it again when I really want to go to B-school and got a 720. But that time I studied for like the month before and wasn’t half drunk and hungover. I did have to explain to the admissions people what the difference was. I told the truth which some thought was pretty funny others not so much.

RA, good story. no matter what I’ll be trying my best, but my intention is definitely not to go to b-school immediately even if accepted even if applied. 720 is awesome. i hope i can get that too. the challenge just seems to be there asking me to take it. i guess i should just focus on getting a new job, CFA, fin. modelling etc. with all the talk of getting good scores, i too want to take the challenge.

I just found out I got a 5.0/6.0 on the AWA. From what I understand, none of the schools use this info, though.

Well, a 6 would have helped you explain your verbal %ile. If you use these scores, make sure you write great essays…

What is this challenge you guys are talking about?

homie, it was a friendly challenge I issued to Holdside analyst with regards to GMAT scores to see who can score higher.