Woman loses $1 million mattress - poetic justice?

If you’re stupid enough to put $1 million in a mattress, do you deserve sympathy for losing it? Debate open. Israeli woman mistakenly junks $1 million mattress JERUSALEM (AP) — An Israeli woman mistakenly threw out a mattress with $1 million inside, setting off a frantic search through tons of garbage at a number of landfill sites, Israeli media reported Wednesday. The woman told Army Radio that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise on Monday and threw out the old one, only to discover that her mother had hidden her life savings inside. She was identified only as Anat, a resident of Tel Aviv. When she went to look for the mattress it had already been taken by garbage men, she said. Subsequent searches at three different landfill sites turned up nothing. The Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot published a picture of the woman searching through garbage at a dump in southern Israel. Yitzhak Borba, the dump manager, told the radio station that his staff was helping the woman, saying she appeared “totally desperate.” He said the mattress was hard to find among the 2,500 tons of garbage arriving at the site every day.

Wow. That bank account isn’t looking like such a bad idea after all is it?

And People make fun of me for trash picking my mattress at the local dump. Who’s laughing now?

i wouldn’t call it poetic justice. She didn’t hurt anybody by stashing her money in her mattress, how could she deserve to lose everything? Yea it was stupid, but i’m sure the history the mother has been through. Her low trust level maybe be understandable.

Maybe grandma saw the credit crunch coming, just not her daughter.

Since the money is effectively “lost” and she sounds like an honest person, the government should just replace her funds. No harm no foul.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Since the money is effectively “lost” and she > sounds like an honest person, the government > should just replace her funds. No harm no foul. I lost a million in my mattress too.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Since the money is effectively “lost” and she > > sounds like an honest person, the government > > should just replace her funds. No harm no > foul. > > > I lost a million in my mattress too. Yeah, a million little guys… me too

Poetic justice? What are you smoking…

I’m sorry, but that is just idiotic to have that much cash around. Not to mention, how much interest did she lose out on?

banks in the middle east disappear over night. That is why they offer 15% interest rates.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Since the money is effectively “lost” and she > sounds like an honest person, the government > should just replace her funds. No harm no foul. That is the stupidest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Why not gold, silver, diamonds, real estate, or something else? Paper currencies in the middle east can disappear (become worthless) overnight as well. Well, it’s pointless to debate this. She did what she did.

I just lost $75M!! No joke - KJH, pay me back. I’m an honest guy. No harm no foul.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why not gold, silver, diamonds, real estate, or > something else? Paper currencies in the middle > east can disappear (become worthless) overnight as > well. Well, it’s pointless to debate this. She > did what she did. Agreed with 20% inflation over the last 10 or so years. Real Estate was the way to go.

poetic justice? common JTLD? Its just an unfortunate mistake, how was she to know there was 1 mil in it?

$1 million is alot of paper. How can you not feel it when you lift the mattress

Poetic Justice? This could be an example of Poetic Justice but there really are not enough details. Suppose the daughter bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a suprise to replace the old lumpy mattress her mother had been sleeping on for years. Even though it looked like a nice gesture, her heart was rotten and the daughter was greedy and only bought the mattress to get in her mother’s good graces so the elderly woman would be sure to include the daughter in the inheritance. The daughter suspected for years her mother had money stashed away somewhere. The elderly woman had received previous inheritances and rarely bought anything. The daughter told Army Radio that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise on Monday and threw out the old one, only to discover that her mother had hidden her life savings inside. And now there is a picture of the daughter searching through garbage at a dump in southern Israel searching for what she had hoped would be her inheritance. The daughter searching through trash for something she will not likely find, taken away from her by her own greed.

The term is “ironic.” Its ironic in that she stuck her money in a mattress because she was afraid of losing it, and subsequently lost it in the mattress.

Maybe the daughter gave it to the palestinians.