work+CFA+weight loss

Im trying to lose weight from November. But now as the study time is taking over, my exercise routine has reduced from thrice a week to once a week. Diet routine is something like this: Breakfast: two slices of brown bread with either honey or tuna noon snack: milk or yogurt or banana lunch: tomato soup OR fish+rice+veg OR chicken salads. No salad dressings evening snack (if im not taking evening nap): apple or orange or milk dinner: either rice or brown bread with chicken or meat. usually have yogurt too. Although I don’t have much problem to stay energetic enough to study with this diet but my weight loss has pretty much slowed down. I want to lose 20 lb by October. Any advices?

Cool story, Hansel.

Cmon, lunch is for wimps…

I’m tempted to check out a Nutrisystem type of meal plan. Thoughts? I want to keep a good diet between finishing my MBA, prepping for L2, and working.

Quant - I did nutrisystem for 4-5 months and loved it. I learned to control meal sizes. I think that was key. I went from over 220 lbs to 195 lbs in 5 months. I’m 6’ 3’’. You should try it.

It’s rather cheap and the optimal meal portion plan is what I’m seeking. Time is not on my side so I grab sandwiches often, sometimes I grab extra value meals from fast food places, and it has been catching up with me.

add some exercise and drink about 80-100 oz of water… it should increase your metabolism and burn more calories.

I don’t think you need to totally deprive everything out of your diet to the extent of cutting out dressing in salads, that’s really very very minimal in the realm of caloric intake (and will make sticking to a diet damn near impossible)…and no offense, but exercising once a week if you lead a sedentary lifestyle is not gonna do anything. Even three times a week isn’t much…is it not possible to do something light more often, like even going for a 30 minute jog 5 times a week?

I found loseit dot com was a useful website for putting yourself on reasonable calorie restriction. By and large, it hasn’t been too tough, and it’s useful for figuring out what are the killer foods that blow out your budget. It has a really big database of foods so you don’t have to guess as much on the calorie counts. It also has a database of physical activities so you can track your exercise too. Sex is a physical activity in the database. But you’re going to need a LOT of sex to burn many calories. There’s a free iPhone App with the same name (minus the dot com)

I do bodybuilding so here’s my take: 1. Count your calories? How big are you? You are eating too much or not being honest with yourself about your calories if you are not losing weight. Your diet appears to be a good healthy mix of “healthy” food. But you’re clearly eating too much if you are not losing weight. The Law of Thermodynamics does not lie. You cannot burn more energy than you put in. Weight loss is a trend with a lot noise. You need to the underlying trend to be a calorie deficit. So don’t drive yourself nuts looking at the scale everyday I’m also on a diet now (post Christmas) I eat around 1500 calories per day - my maintenance calories (what it would take to keep me where I am now) are probably around 2700 (6 foot 27 year old male). I get about 200 grams of protein (from whey and meat usually) and keep my fat down to around 40 grams. The rest of the calories can be whatever I want to be honest. I lift 5 times a week and play tennis twice. Thanks to this i lose about a kilo a week. Note: It’s a lot harder to study when you are this hungry.

Remember that for most people, your brain burns 25% of your total calories (and is about 5% of your total body mass). So if you cut calories too much, your brain function will start to suffer. Your brain : body energy use :: USA : world resources use Wish we were smarter in the USA though… maybe that’s why we’re all getting obese. (I haven’t checked, but I don’t think you can increase calorie use by just thinking more; however, insufficient calories does impair thinking.)

I agree with Mr. Chadwick. I eat a lot the month before the exam. If you are hungry your concentration is just not there.

My cousin who trained in MMA said something to the affect of the stress from counting calories does more harm than good; although I don’t know how accurate the basis of that is I agree with the underlying premise that for the most part just eat appropriately (the right foods), and listen to your body with appropriate exercise and you’ll be fine. I play squash and hockey twice a week and spend 4 days on average at the gym, it’s important to get cardio in too…

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I do bodybuilding so here’s my take: > > 1. Count your calories? How big are you? You > are eating too much or not being honest with > yourself about your calories if you are not losing > weight. Your diet appears to be a good healthy > mix of “healthy” food. But you’re clearly eating > too much if you are not losing weight. > > The Law of Thermodynamics does not lie. You > cannot burn more energy than you put in. > > Weight loss is a trend with a lot noise. You need > to the underlying trend to be a calorie deficit. > So don’t drive yourself nuts looking at the scale > everyday > > I’m also on a diet now (post Christmas) > > I eat around 1500 calories per day - my > maintenance calories (what it would take to keep > me where I am now) are probably around 2700 (6 > foot 27 year old male). I get about 200 grams of > protein (from whey and meat usually) and keep my > fat down to around 40 grams. The rest of the > calories can be whatever I want to be honest. > > I lift 5 times a week and play tennis twice. > Thanks to this i lose about a kilo a week. > > Note: It’s a lot harder to study when you are this > hungry. 200 grams of protein a day, wow I wouldn’t want to be around you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sumz, Your diet is wrong. Let the nutritionist to work on your diet. And here’s my advice: No honey, no banana, no carbs for dinner except for vegetables. Tomato soup for lunch is not enough by no means. If you want to lose weight, cut your normal calories by 20% and not more than that. Lose weight slowly. Eat protein with each meal if you work out regularly. Olive oil or some other healthy fat is essential in the diet as well.

Fat helps you with the feeling of satiety (feeling like you’ve had enough). That’s one reason that desserts are often fatty. If you are constantly feeling hungry, try increasing the fat or oil consumption a bit and cut back on some other source of calories (usually carbs are better to cut back on). This is one reason that low fat/high carb diets often fail (the other reason being that your blood sugar levels go wacky). Weight loss is really all about calories burned vs calories consumed. I’ve never successfully lost weight by exercising, only through diets (or as a result of illness, which does seem to work wonders sometimes). Exercise is important for other physical and mental health reasons, though. High fat diets, high carb diets, high protein diets - each has different health and nutrition implications, but for weight loss, it’s really all about the calorie flux.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I do bodybuilding so here’s my take: > > 1. Count your calories? How big are you? You > are eating too much or not being honest with > yourself about your calories if you are not losing > weight. Your diet appears to be a good healthy > mix of “healthy” food. But you’re clearly eating > too much if you are not losing weight. > > The Law of Thermodynamics does not lie. You > cannot burn more energy than you put in. > > Weight loss is a trend with a lot noise. You need > to the underlying trend to be a calorie deficit. > So don’t drive yourself nuts looking at the scale > everyday > > I’m also on a diet now (post Christmas) > > I eat around 1500 calories per day - my > maintenance calories (what it would take to keep > me where I am now) are probably around 2700 (6 > foot 27 year old male). I get about 200 grams of > protein (from whey and meat usually) and keep my > fat down to around 40 grams. The rest of the > calories can be whatever I want to be honest. > > I lift 5 times a week and play tennis twice. > Thanks to this i lose about a kilo a week. > > Note: It’s a lot harder to study when you are this > hungry. This is the single best and well informed piece of info I’ve read on this forum. Thermodynamics ftw. ChickenTikka is dead on…until he posts his bodybuilding muscle isolation workout routine =P

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Fat helps you with the feeling of satiety (feeling > like you’ve had enough). That’s one reason that > desserts are often fatty. If you are constantly > feeling hungry, try increasing the fat or oil > consumption a bit and cut back on some other > source of calories (usually carbs are better to > cut back on). > > This is one reason that low fat/high carb diets > often fail (the other reason being that your blood > sugar levels go wacky). > > Weight loss is really all about calories burned vs > calories consumed. I’ve never successfully lost > weight by exercising, only through diets (or as a > result of illness, which does seem to work wonders > sometimes). Exercise is important for other > physical and mental health reasons, though. High > fat diets, high carb diets, high protein diets - > each has different health and nutrition > implications, but for weight loss, it’s really all > about the calorie flux. Calorie deficit can be done with exercise, diet, or a combination of both. Even if most of your deficit is diet-induced, it’s still important to at least lift weights in order to keep your muscles stimulated and prevent much muscle loss. Keep your protein intake high enough and plug the rest of the calorie intake with fat and carbs at your discretion.

Ask your nutritionist for a balanced healthy diet for slow weight loss and regular work-out. Of course, taking into account your current weight and fat/muscle measurements, as well as your health, allergies, etc. You don’t want random advice from a random forum, if you care about your health. Be a bit more responsible, at least for yourself.

Maybe everyone here should give up on the CFA and become personal trainers?