work+CFA+weight loss

Yes, I meant GI. There are a few typos in my original post :facepalm: brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KarateBoy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day. Avoid > all > > high HI carbs. > > I think you meant “GI” carbs, as in glycemic index > since you were talking about insulin response.

spreads Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mar350 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > And don’t forget the daily trip to McDics! my metabolism is messing with me pretty bad. since i went twice in the past two days i’m off for a month. so now we’re saying no diet when studying??? that’s when i get the worst cravings due to the added stress. its friggin crazy. tg there’s a trader joe’s nearby so i can snack on dark chocolate edamame.

3rdtimesacharm? Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Honestly, I read this entire thing. 1 it sounds like you read a lot of bodybuilding blogs and magazines and amalgamated all of that into your regimen. Keep in mind that those sources of info are largely funded by supplement sales. Pretty much all of the stuff listed would be acquired well naturally if you eat meat, fruits, vegetables, fat and some grains in that order. The only thing I take is protein shake because my stomach doesn’t feel like eating after a workout. Couple of points: 1) Eating carbs before a workout will actually spike your insulin. 2) At one point you say eat whole wheat bread before a workout and in the “footnotes” you say do not eat whole wheat. 3) I’m kind of into the whole dietary science thing so bear with some nerdiness here that explains why most of the carbs you mentioned with the exceptions of fruits and veggies are roughly equal from a digestive perspective/effect: Technically speaking, carbohydrates are everything from oak wood to pasta. There are three categories of carbohydrates: 1) Monosaccharides, meaning single sugar. Glucose (our bodies’ main source of energy) and fructose are both monosaccharides. 2) Disaccharides, meaning two sugars. Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. 3) Polysaccharides, meaning many sugars. This includes indigestible carbohydrates (fiber) and digestible carbohydrates (starch). Digestion: Carbohydrates must be broken down into single molecules to be received through the intestinal wall as energy. So, monosaccharides are absorbed directly (fastest insulin response), dissaccharides such as sucrose are broken into glucose and fructose and polysaccharides are also broken into glucose and fructose. Fructose must be handled by the liver and converted to glucose and stored as glycogen. Everything carb goes into your body as sugar and drives a higher insulin response than protein or fat. I’ll leave it there for now, but suffice it to say that just eat some vegetables and fruit. You’ll take in less sugar, feel hungry less and lose weight.

I always ate a lot of high carb, high energy food while studying (very unhealthy, I know) but my priorities were first and foremost to pass (best focus when high energy) and everything else secondly. But other’s priorities may be different and I think most of you can probably do both, I wasn’t able to. What I may have done differently would have been an hour of hard exercise which I failed to do at the time (as stated above, treadmill or run outside maybe some pushups and situps, keep the logistics simple, we realize time is tight). To some extent I’ve heard studies have shown you can replace sleep with exercise and it will definitely improve your focus, mood, energy, etc.

3rdtime posted a lot of “bro science”, none of which is necessary to lose weight. If you eat at a caloric defecit you’ll drop weight, no matter where those calories come from. For most people, a coloric defecit is 10 to 12 times your body weight in pounds. Now, if you don’t want to be skinny fat, that’s a different story. In this case you’ll need to consume adequate amounts of protein, about 1 - 1.5 grams per pound of lean muscle mass (not per total weight). Fat should be at about 0.5 grams per pound of lean muscle mass and whatever is left over in your caloric budget is for carbs. Lift heavy (for you) 3 times a week. Keep in mind though unless you’re a total noob, you won’t be able to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. And finally, don’t diet while you’re studying. You’ll torture yourself trying to do well at both. I’ve never eaten so many chocolate bars as I did when studying for the CFA (but I did take the time to keep up with my training routine).

wake2000 -> Know me, do you? From where (preferably without outing my profile!) ? :smiley:

Man, we’re gettting super-fat: http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/02/daily_chart_global_obesity

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Man, we’re gettting super-fat: > > http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/02/ > daily_chart_global_obesity What’s with the Czech Replublic and Ireland being the stand-out fatties in Europe? I wouldn’t have guessed them.