work+CFA+weight loss

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keys Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ sometimes switch the salmon with Tilapia > > > > Remember the key weight training moves: > > > > 1) Bench Press > > 2) Squats (work the legs!!!) > > 3) Deadlifts > > Agree with most of what you said, Where is your shoulder workout in that trifecta?

Consume less calories and or burn more calories.

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 5) 1:00 pm eat sensible lunch (I eat a the pump - > nyc: brown rice (handful) chicken or turkey, mixed > fresh veggies, lentils; decaffeinated Green or > White Tea you should not have told me the spot you eat at Keys, now I will get to see what the this muscle man looks like.

No problem folks. I concur with some of the comments as well; drink lots of water during the day and keep some raw almonds beside your desk for little snacks (watch the amount you intake!). If an individual just wants to lose weight, sure - that’s really not difficult. Most people want to be healthier and look better - thus my instructions. One of the issues is if you start consuming less without exercise, your metabolism will adjust and your muscles will reduce, hence your body will require less food etc…viscious cycle. Once you deviate from the program, you will have less muscle, lower metabolism and therefore will pack on weight very fast. Back in the day, I used to do the stack (aspirin, caffiene, and ephedrine (no longer sold in stores)); all natural - no steriods or growth hormone. I could get super ripped and looked great at the clubs and on the beach; only problem was after I finished carving up, I was burning so much muscle that when I deviated for a period from my diet and regimen - the weight gain was substantial. I hardly use any supplements anymore; only glucosimine, glutamine, carb supplement, protein powder, and multi-vitamins. The occasional arginine supplement, but in limited dosages. The key is moderation (though my outline may appear extreme to some folks).

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keys Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > you should not have told me the spot you eat at > Keys, now I will get to see what the this muscle > man looks like. HA! 1) Multiple pump locations in NY 2) My threshold is from 11:30-2:00 3) I appear fairly harmless in my suit!

im guessing the pump in FIDI, thats my spot as well.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Keys Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > ^ sometimes switch the salmon with Tilapia > > > > > > Remember the key weight training moves: > > > > > > 1) Bench Press > > > 2) Squats (work the legs!!!) > > > 3) Deadlifts > > > > Agree with most of what you said, > > Where is your shoulder workout in that trifecta? Well, I suggested the press instead of the bench because it is a more compound move (involves more muscle groups) since you are not laying prone on a bench. I typically do my press standing from a front rack position, which means you hold the bar on your front of your shoulders. Also, the press is one of the best exercises you can do for shoulders.

Also, I agree with Keys that it is important to not just “take in less calories than you burn”. Thermodynamics’ second law is a neat, simple, Occam’s razor friendly rule. However, the fact is that metabolism is influenced by many factors, one of which is diet, and metabolism will slow if you simply follow a calorie restriction diet. Reduce carbs, and try to get as many carbs as possible from veggies since a full plate of veggies has about as many calories as a couple slices of bread and has about 100x the nutrient content. Don’t do the slow slog on the exersice bike, instead go as hard as possble for a minute, rest a minute, then go as hard as possible again. Repeat for 20 minutes. This will have a better effect for weight management and metabolism (as well as fitness) than twice as much time riding at a medium pace. When you are crunched for time you have to exercise efficiently. One of my fav, time efficient workouts: In 20 minutes to as many rounds as possible of 5 pull ups followed by 10 push ups followed by 15 free squats (squats with no weight). The first 10 minutes are pretty easy, the second 10 minutes get interesting.

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- I hardly use any supplements anymore; > only glucosimine, glutamine, carb supplement, > protein powder, and multi-vitamins. The occasional > arginine supplement What the hell DID you stop using?

I would not wanna be near keys after his protein intake and glutamine ingestion

Nope -> Currently live in FIDI; work in midtown

What’s FIDI? Ah, I posted and then figured it out, I think… (Financial District?) I was going to guess Fixed Income Derivatives Internment camp, given your love of things quantitative. :wink:

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > keys - thanks! > > i’ve been getting back into the mode since > mid-december and am reworking my diet as my > metabolism has jumped through the roof. you give > some great suggestions and i’d like to add that > for snacks - make it a rule to drink > water/tea/etc. with every snack because most of > the time you’re not hungry, you’re just getting > dehydrated. almonds, trail mix and fresh (or > dried) fruits make great options. this includes > peeled grapes. And don’t forget the daily trip to McDics!

Calories in do NOT equal calories it. Do NOT ignore the role of insulin. Long story short: Eat less than 2000 calories a day. Eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day. Avoid all high HI carbs. Eat at least 100 grams of protein. More fats is better than more carbs.

WEIGHT TRAINING BEFORE 30-60 MINUTES PREWORKOUT: Take 3-5 grams of arginine and 5 grams of glutamine. Arginine is a must before workouts. Research shows it can increase blood flow to muscle fibers because it increases nitric oxide. And that means your muscles get more of the stuff that blood carries–oxygen, glucose, amino acids, anabolic hormones like testosterone and growth hormone, and the other supplements like glutamine and creatine that you’ve taken. You’ll have more energy for the workout at hand, and when the workout’s over and your muscles are ready to enter the growing phase, all the critical elements for growth will be in abundance. Glutamine provides your muscles with energy and produces bicarbonate to help buffer the high acidity levels that rise in the body during intense exercise, helping to prevent fatigue. Take these on an empty stomach (or at least 1-2 hours after your last meal). 0-30 MINUTES PREWORKOUT: You’ve downed your arginine and glutamine, but don’t neglect all the critical amino acids for growth. The form you’ll want them in is whey protein isolate, 20 grams worth. You’ll also need about 40 grams of slow-burning carbs and 3-5 grams of creatine. As we’ve already said, once the workout stops, your muscle fibers are ready to grow if the critical building blocks are there. If not, the muscles will break down. Whey protein provides a fast source of aminos that will be absorbed quickly and taken up by your muscles by the time the workout is over. Eating slow carbs–such as three slices of whole-wheat bread, a large sweet potato, 2 cups of oatmeal or a large banana before you train–provides a steady supply of carbs to help keep insulin levels down during the workout, helping you burn more fat for fuel during rest periods between sets. Taking creatine before you train ensures that your muscles are chock-full of this fast energy source that’s used during weightlifting workouts. It can also help to better fill the muscle cells with water, which helps them become stronger. Mix your creatine into your protein shake and don’t worry about downing it all beforehand. Get down at least half and sip the rest during the workout. WEIGHT TRAINING AFTER 0 MINUTES POSTWORKOUT: As soon as the last rep of your last set is done, you want to get 5-10 grams of leucine and 5 grams of glutamine down your throat as soon as possible. The essential and branched-chain amino acid leucine is probably the most important amino you can take for stimulating muscle growth. Research shows it’s literally the key that turns the ignition on muscle growth. One way muscles grow larger is by a process known as protein synthesis–the building of muscle protein. Leucine turns on the steps that lead to more muscle protein synthesis and thus more muscle growth, and immediately after you finish your workout is the critical window. Leucine also boosts the release of the anabolic hormone insulin. You want insulin levels to spike after your workout because it allows nutrients like glucose and amino acids into muscle cells. In addition, creatine relies on insulin to move inside muscle cells, and insulin plays an important role in protein synthesis. It’s important to get more glutamine inside your muscles postworkout because your body has probably used up the glutamine you took beforehand for energy. Keeping muscle glutamine levels high after training is critical because they regulate protein synthesis. Even with all the leucine you can handle, muscles won’t grow without enough glutamine. Glutamine also helps muscle cells load up better with glycogen, which is critical for muscle size (glycogen pulls water into muscle cells) and energy during your next workout. So it pays to think ahead. 30-60 MINUTES POSTWORKOUT: After you’ve given the leucine and glutamine a chance to be absorbed without competition from other nutrients, it’s time to get your muscle protein building blocks in the form of 40 grams of whey protein. You’ll also need 40-80 grams of fast-digesting carbs and 3-5 grams of creatine. Getting more whey protein in your gut within an hour after your workout will provide more amino acids for the protein synthesis you kick-started with leucine and glutamine. The more building blocks you provide, the bigger the muscle you can build. Think of leucine and glutamine as the brick-layers (they do all the work) and the amino acids from the protein as your bricks. CARDIO BEFORE 30-60 MINUTES BEFORE CARDIO: About a half-hour to an hour before you start your cardio session, be sure to get 200-300 mg of caffeine and 1-2 grams of acetyl-L-carnitine. Caffeine has been shown to spare muscle glycogen as a fuel source. Instead, it mobilizes stored fat from fat cells, which is then used as fuel instead of glycogen. It has also been shown to reduce muscle pain during exercise, which means you can train harder for a longer period. Two or three cups of regular coffee is fine, but a supplemental form such as caffeine anhydrous is better. Acetyl-L-carnitine is an amino acid-like supplement that helps transport fat into the mitochondria of cells where it’s burned for fuel. Taking it with caffeine makes a perfect combo because the caffeine helps free up fat from fat cells and the carnitine helps get it to the right place for burning it for fuel. 0-30 MINUTES BEFORE CARDIO: The only thing you want to take right before a cardio session is 6-10 grams of Whey Protein Isolate. That’s assuming you’re exercising for less than an hour and your main goal is fat loss. If performance is important, you’ll need some carbohydrate to help you keep going longer. But we’ll assume your main goal is fat loss. Research from Japan shows that when subjects consumed a mixture of amino acids–supplying all nine essential amino acids and most other aminos found in the diet–before a bout of cycling, they burned significantly more bodyfat during the exercise than when drinking just water. In addition, the subjects reported that when they exercised after taking the amino acid mixture, the activity was noticeably easier to perform. Supplying your body with all the aminos needed for muscle growth will also help prevent muscle tissue from being broken down to use its amino acids as energy. CARDIO AFTER 0-60 MINUTES AFTER CARDIO: When your cardio is over, it’s time to replenish your tired muscle fibers. Getting in 20-40 grams of whey protein, 40-80 grams of fast-digesting carbs and 5 grams of creatine is essential to help the muscle fibers recover. Whey protein provides the building blocks to rebuild the fibers, simple carbs replenish depleted muscle glycogen levels and creatine helps replenish creatine levels in muscle cells. If you do cardio on separate days from lifting, this is another great time to get your creatine because the muscle cells are primed to take it up. - You should have at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight per day. WHEY Isolate is the best, followed by chicken, tuna, turkey, legumes etc… Chickpeas, kidney beans, cous cous and Quinoa work wonders - Low fat dairy ( skim milk, fat free yogurt) are excellent snacks since they are low in fat, high in protein and they activate compounds which aid in burning hard to reach fat ( Visceral fat) - Dont use any fake supplements, if you need some help for montivation in the beginning, buy some Green Tea Pills and / or CLA - Whey protein takes a lot of water from the body in order to propery breakdown and metabolize so ensure you are drinking lots of water through the day. - pefore any cardio workout, try and get some caffeine in your system. - I think for people starting out who have alot of weight to lose you should focus on total body workouts, after a while when youve lost some weight and you have the time to start really showing muscle gains, you can then incorporate Creatine in your regimine and start the excecises per muscle group. - Cut out refined carbs 100% ( Sugars, glucose, white starches like white breads and potatoes pasta) stick with whole GRAINS ( dont get confused with whole wheat which is still bad). - You dont want to get constipated but it might be tough to get in fibre, so for my breakfast and nightie whey protein shakes, I mix in a teaspoon of metimucil or other fibre supplements. - Fat ( healthy fat ) is your friend and you need to eat tehse, try and get it from Olive Oil, Avocados, Nuts, Salmons etc… -Take a multivitamin along with Omega 3-6-9 essential oils You WILL have cheat days and times. As long as 90% of what goes into your mouth is healthy, the other 10% can be saved for a chaet day or spread out throughout the week with little cheat snacks -Keep your metabolism burning throughout the whole day with snacks in between meals. - Watch sodium intake as salt will make you retain water and make you feel bloated

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Nope -> Currently live in FIDI; work in midtown I think I know who you are Keys. You ARE the man!

KarateBoy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day. Avoid all > high HI carbs. I think you meant “GI” carbs, as in glycemic index since you were talking about insulin response.

Wow! That’s a bchad sized post on a very non-bchad topic! :wink:

…or you could just focus on building yourself into a minimalist endurance athlete and skip all that mumbo jumbo 3rdtimesacharm? just posted. You’ll never see an out of shape trail runner, all the fitness benefits + fresh air and your new friends won’t look like they missed the next season of Jersey Shore by two cuts.

Also, I agree with Keys’ post, as well as the others that pointed out not to diet while studying. It’ll kill your ability to process information.