your help is greatly appreciated

your help is greatly appreciated i am thinking if i should go for CFA… I finished my BS in Nutrition and a minor in math currently, i am a manager at a small retail business planning to teach math in middle school so that i may have time to study for CFA (of course i like teaching but not something i would like to do for the long run) if not a good idea to teach, would i be able to work somewhere where i can get experience since i don’t have a finance degree…if not, would i be able to find a job after passing LI… can one work for himself by learning CFA??? Thanx a lot in advance

any recommendation or suggestion ???

uh, is this serious?

I am sure teaching middle school math counts towards experience for the CFA, I say go for it.

jamal, anyone can sign up for the CFA and start studying for it. You will learn a lot, and you should start looking for a finance-related job to get the experience to use when you do get your charter. Having math skills is a big plus.

go for it mate, all it needs is humongous-effors, immense-hardwork and perseverance

Normally, I’m sarcastic. I’m turning that off now. I complement you on studying nutrition. I think that will literally pay a lifetime of dividends. I studied cooking(amateur level) and it has been great. I always thought nutrition would be one of those really practical things you could use forever. I went through the CFA program with no background in finance. I’m 38 and was successful at my previous career. The CFA program was a great experience and filled a lot of gaps. Even in this tough market I’ve gotten a few calls back on my resume and even an interview… so it is a door opener even for a geezer like me. For the long haul, I would consider sticking with the math teacher gig and studying finance on the side. I’m being SERIOUS. #1 - Alan Greenspan says there is a serious shortage of high school math teachers, enough so that it threatens the long term economy in the U.S. #2 - Teach a girl algebra and she’s less likely to get pregnant while a teenager. There’s some statistical study that proves this. I read it in a book so it must be true. #3 - Teaching gives you a lot of free time #4 - Teaching income has a low to negative correlation of returns on stocks & bonds. #5 - Teachers probably make just as much on a “per hour” basis as jr. analysts. #6 - Let’s say you have 3 children. Get a job at a prestigious private school that teaches all grades and the 3 kids will get a free ride. The NPV of 3 kids private education is half a million dollars. Hello? #7 - If you can send your kids to the above private school you can afford to buy a house in a cool/funky neighborhood with crappy schools (in NYC & LA that will save you between $100-$200k). They have special mortgages for teachers. #8 - You get all the benefits, strong union, defined benefit retirement plan, health insurance, etc. Your paycheck is guaranteed unless you get caught messing around with a drunk highschool girl (it happens). #9 - There are a lot of financial incentives for math teachers’ education expenses. #10 - High school girls are hot! Damn… just don’t touch. Disclosure: I’m considering getting my masters in mathematics so that I can teach high school math and still surf & invest.

I’m sold…where do i sign up?

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > #2 - Teach a girl algebra and she’s less likely > to get pregnant while a teenager. There’s some > statistical study that proves this. I read it in > a book so it must be true. > LOL You never cease to have the most hilarious posts on AF!!!

Thanx all for your suggestins virginCFAhooker, thanx, i appreciate your comments PS. you don’t need a masters degree to teach in high school (at least in Florida)

My fiancee is a high school math teacher so I thought I’d take a shot at some of these. virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > #1 - Alan Greenspan says there is a serious > shortage of high school math teachers, enough so > that it threatens the long term economy in the > U.S. Maybe true, but it depends on the area. For some math positions in Michigan, 150+ will apply for one job. > #2 - Teach a girl algebra and she’s less likely > to get pregnant while a teenager. There’s some > statistical study that proves this. I read it in > a book so it must be true. It’s tough when they don’t want to learn. All teenagers care about these days are reality tv, cell phones, and hip hop. And sex. > #3 - Teaching gives you a lot of free time As long as you don’t get involved in too many other things (my fiancee coaches two sports), I agree completely with this. I figured her time off this year to be about 3-3.5 months with all the breaks and whatnot. But coaching two sports really cuts into that (lots of nights, lots of Saturdays, and off-season conditioning in the summer). > #4 - Teaching income has a low to negative > correlation of returns on stocks & bonds. There’s a positive correlation with the local economy, though. Here in Michigan, ex auto workers are leaving the state, which drives down school enrollment, which leads to teacher firings and relocations. > #5 - Teachers probably make just as much on a > “per hour” basis as jr. analysts. Agreed. A new HS math teacher in metro Detroit starts at $40-45k if they’re in a decent-paying district. Assume you do the bare minimum of work (8 hours/day…7 for teaching, 1 for grading/prep), and that comes out to $27.77-31.25/hour. And then double that for all your sweet benefits. > #6 - Let’s say you have 3 children. Get a job at > a prestigious private school that teaches all > grades and the 3 kids will get a free ride. The > NPV of 3 kids private education is half a million > dollars. Hello? Private schools = crappy pay and crappy benefits, unless you’re at a top-notch one. And are private schools always better than good public schools? > #7 - If you can send your kids to the above > private school you can afford to buy a house in a > cool/funky neighborhood with crappy schools (in > NYC & LA that will save you between $100-$200k). > They have special mortgages for teachers. > #8 - You get all the benefits, strong union, > defined benefit retirement plan, health insurance, > etc. Your paycheck is guaranteed unless you get > caught messing around with a drunk highschool girl > (it happens). It’s not guaranteed. It’s more guarantedd than 90% of other jobs, though. You can still be fired or relocated (which is often just as bad) with tenure, especially if there’s school cuts. > #9 - There are a lot of financial incentives for > math teachers’ education expenses. True. Tuition repayment, I believe. > #10 - High school girls are hot! Damn… just > don’t touch.

Virgin, you’re 38 and a virgin? That’s impressive…what are you waiting for, someone special?

waiting for that high school girl to turn 18

I called CFA 800 number to check if middle school math teacher would apply to the 4 years requirement to get CFA, they said MOST LIKELY NOT!!! how can one work in a finance career (that CFA accepts) without a finance degree??? is anyone “working for himself,” if so, HOW and how is it working???

jamal…well done!

jamal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I called CFA 800 number to check if middle school > math teacher would apply to the 4 years > requirement to get CFA, they said MOST LIKELY > NOT!!! > > how can one work in a finance career (that CFA > accepts) without a finance degree??? > is anyone “working for himself,” if so, HOW and > how is it working??? oh Jamal… i would say work and try get an MBA. from there the transition is a little easier

I dont think middle school math should be considered finance work exp… considering that you mainly use pre-alg and alg… I think u should just remain a middle school teacher.

would my nutrition major be of any use with passing CFA exams (I, II, or III)

yes, diciplined nutritional habits help retain information and study better.

dieselbp67 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes, diciplined nutritional habits help retain > information and study better. lol, yeah i know that part, anything about finance world???