any good book suggestions?

‘More money than God’ is a very good read. The author totally bats for hedge funds… and against regulating them a line from it: A democrat senator is going to a congressional hearing of 5 hedge fund managers his neighbor asks him, ‘How does it feel to face 5 guys who have more money than god?’ And if u r interested in hedge funds, The Greatest Trade ever is also a gr8 read On John Paulson and his mortgage bets…

Talk to the snail - Stephen Clarke. Hilarious 250 pages of making fun of the French!

The Blank Swan by Elie Ayache

TdotJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Blank Swan by Elie Ayache Just saw that one of the reviews on the book on amazon is NN Taleb’s.

> Warren Buffett Way Any book about Buffet I’ve read is inferior to his actual writings. “The Essays of Warren Buffett” is a well-edited collection of annual letter excerpts. Separately, “This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly” is a good piece of fundamental research (into financial crises of various sorts, culminating with the recent subprime meltdown) written for a lay audience. Here’s what Ben says: I would say that her [Carmen Reinhart’s] book with Ken Rogoff on debt crises and financial crises is an extraordinary piece of work. (Feral Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, speaking before the House Budget Committee (6/9/2010) )

TdotJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Blank Swan by Elie Ayache Some interesting commentary: http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=76822

robertonderdonk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Great call, I picked up this weekend and wrapped it up last night. A+

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > robertonderdonk Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald > > Great call, I picked up this weekend and wrapped > it up last night. A+ I finished the Big Short this morning and i read House of Cards last yr. These financial disaster books are depressing me. I just bought Great Gatsby on my iphone.

Some good ones on here. I read Den of Thieves awhile ago and really liked it. Also +1 to Great Gatsby. I am finally making my way through Atlas Shrugged now (never read it). Some others (non-finance): The Road - Cormac McCarthy - loved this book, won’t see the movie since I heard it wasn’t that great. Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell - incredible story of a SEAL mission gone bad in Afghanistan. A much needed reminder of what those guys have been facing over there on our behalf. If you’ve never read it, The Catcher in the Rye.

anc417 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell - incredible story > of a SEAL mission gone bad in Afghanistan. A much > needed reminder of what those guys have been > facing over there on our behalf. > Is that the one where they got ambushed after the goat herder they let go ratted them out? I remember reading about it in the newspaper. Maybe 60 Minutes too.

sct123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is that the one where they got ambushed after the > goat herder they let go ratted them out? I > remember reading about it in the newspaper. Maybe > 60 Minutes too. Yes, it is an incredible and moving book.

Chi Paul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sct123 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Is that the one where they got ambushed after > the > > goat herder they let go ratted them out? I > > remember reading about it in the newspaper. > Maybe > > 60 Minutes too. > > Yes, it is an incredible and moving book. +1. This is a good book to read. Take a break from the finance books and read this one.

+1 for big short for investor wanabe’s like me: you can be a stock market genius even if you’re not too smart, joel greenblatt the five rules for successful stock investing, pat dorsey margin of safety, seth klarman (find online, book is $1000) ben graham on investing, david darst Buffett partnership letters (online) Berkshire Hathaway Chairman Letters (online) anyone have other good fundamentals / value investing book recommendations? currently reading the end of wall street by roger lowenstein which is decent but so far not as good as big short – it does provide different insights though, worth it i think

Traders, Guns and Money: by Satyajit Das a wonderful satire in the form a fictionalized autobiography, is a primer on derivatives. A Demon of Our Own Design: by Richard Bookstaber Fault Lines by Raghuram Rajan More Money than God

Hi everyone and congrats on bein’ free, I second all the recommendations on No One Would Listen. It’s not the best-written book I’ve ever read but the story is compelling and can’t help but come through. (Although, I’m curious for those who have read it: if you worked at the SEC and received the letter that appears in the Appendix, would you have followed up? For all of his tireless investigative work, when it comes to presenting the facts of the case in a form that might inspire further investigation, I think he falls flat.) Just finished Too Big to Fail. I’ve read every 2008 book I could get my hands on, and this was one of the better ones. The recreation of dialogue and meetings behind Bear-Lehman-AIG is an amazing achievement. He puts you right in there standing around Paulson’s desk. On the classics side, Moby-Dick knocks it out of the park. And if you can handle the CFA curriculum, what’s a few hundred pages of 19th century fiction? When I read this in high school, I wasn’t ready for it. When I read it again years later, I couldn’t put it down. It’s a giant. I agree with the William Gibson recommendations earlier. Neuromancer is one of the great novels of the 20th century. As you read it, keep reminding yourself that it came out in 1983. Prophetic. And in a similar vein, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is a work of genius. …and finally, if you’re looking for a real challenge, try Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Like my first girlfriend, this book took me 10 years to fully commit to, was beautiful and sensual and fulfilling, but abandoned me in the end. A masterpiece of 20th century fiction. One stumbles into heartbreakingly beautiful descriptions and scenes. Don’t try to figure out what’s going on, just let it pour over you like a river.

Chi Paul Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sct123 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Is that the one where they got ambushed after > the > > goat herder they let go ratted them out? I > > remember reading about it in the newspaper. > Maybe > > 60 Minutes too. > > Yes, it is an incredible and moving book. Finished Great Gatsby. Very good read. Just started Lone Survivor and have Washington - A Life on deck

Mario Vargas Llosa just won the Nobel prize and nobody is recommending him? He writes manly man books (except his last two which looked like girly girl books so I didn’t read them and then he wins the Nobel. Go figure). Anyway, “The Feast of the Goat” is a great book and for a faster read “Death in the Andes” is fun. And Vargas Llosa once punched fellow Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez in the face which completely links them together (alas, no YouTube video). “One Hundred Years of Solitude” is pretty much a must read to be educated but is not a quick read. “Autumn of the Patriarch” is quicker and cool. I just got back from Istanbul and I’ve decided I like things Turkish (Turkey is totally cool except for a few jihadists who needed to be calmed down or ignored) so I’ve been reading Orhan Pamuk which is fine literature but a little slow. To the best of my knowledge neither Marquez nor Vargas Llosa has punched him.

Oh yeah…And this thing about “Gatsby”? Why does anybody think Gatsby is great literature? I read it in high school and was relieved that it was short. I read it again 20 years and … was relieved that it was short.

Highly recommended by Funancial Times Infectious Greed: How Deceit and Risk Corrupted the Financial Markets

nodes Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Joey, > > Welcome back! Where have you been? > Thank you for the recommendations, as always very > usefull! > > Nodes Here and there including Turkey.