Band 10 and scored >70% Ethics and they Failed me

yes, still here…I posted the original in August last year…still steaming mad about the whole thing and will be even more upset if I don’t pass this year. Have been hard at the material for the last 4 months (more so the last month as is the case for everyone). Have put more time into this Level than any of the previous ones and that includes last year’s disappointment.

so paying the $100 didn’t achieve anything? If there was ever a time I would have thought it might have some value is in LIII

Good luck x 2 to all retakers out there!

there is no way i pass this thing if those are the scores required… this thing is scary as crap. It seems like a lot of these fails were above 70 in most of the morning sections… How the F do they do that?

^ like 9-10 sections above 70s. Will be a tough task.

this is just crazy - i’ve seen people with much worse scores pass in years past.

CFAdreams Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > there is no way i pass this thing if those are the > scores required… this thing is scary as crap. It > seems like a lot of these fails were above 70 in > most of the morning sections… How the F do they > do that? Remember to use buzz words and do not write more than you have to. Time is an issue. Good luck you will do fine.

Can we bury this post? No offense, but Band 10 is the last thing I want to think about right now…

shows a sign that CFAI is making it tougher. I wish the passing score goes above 50% this year.

Reading this and still don’t understand how I passed. Those scored look better than mine… Good luck to all of you next week. August 2009 Level 3: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - - * 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - - * 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - * - 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 * - - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - - * - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - * - Read information on obtaining your charter

Doesn’t matter how much you study. I think the wind has to blow the right way on that day for you to pass. I have done enough praying and plenty of studying… as they say, leave the rest to God.

comparing the PM sections to the mocks, where does GIPS fall under? are there any sections not tested at all ?

osei Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comparing the PM sections to the mocks, where does > GIPS fall under? > > are there any sections not tested at all ? GIPS has been in both morning and afternoon. It’s a total toss up as to when they’ll test it. As far as sections not tested - I haven’t seen ONE item set on taxes (and the one in the text is very short, which scares me)

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so paying the $100 didn’t achieve anything? If > there was ever a time I would have thought it > might have some value is in LIII thats what i thought. was in band 10 last year. i figured the cost benefit of paying the $100 was worth it to at least know if there was the slightest grading mistake or mistake in adding up points. Got an email a month later saying my grade was not changed. I think it is very rare for them to change a grade

I think the retab just checks to make sure the computer didn’t make an error in adding your score, so it probably wouldn’t affect the essay section at all. In any case I’ve never heard of a retab being turned over, just sounds like an easy way for CFAI to collect another $100.

Personally, I think CFAI is very cocky and doesnt really care for its candidates. They refuse to show you your scores with any accuracy, they wont show you your own exam, and they refuse to answer individual questions. (I understand this last one from a fairness standpoint). They are arrogant and would not readily admit they made a mistake. I def dont think they are regrading any tests, they might be re-running your scantron or recalcing the scantron total plus the essay total, but thats about it.

are the PM sections standard or it can contain questions from any section? it appears last year’s PM questions (below) focused on the major areas alone… any thots ? Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - - - Economics 18 - - - Equity Investments 36 - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - - Portfolio Management 18 - - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - -

It can come from anywhere. They could even throw ethics into the AM portion. In fact, come to think of it - even when LIII was 100% essay, the ethics was multiple choice. The switch to partial multi choice happened in 2002 or 2001 if I’m not mistaken.

since level 3 entails the traditional topics and new topics, which ones (apart from ethics) must be passed ?

how about shooting to pass everything and let the cards fall as they may? while there is some “game” element to the exam, not focusing on a single topic area will screw you.