Califrexit?

I’d think that European countries have even stricter emissions standards than California*, as well as taxes on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Porsche is using 4 cylinder turbo engines now… and this is not due to California specifically, although California clearly is part of the larger market that is generally demanding better efficiency.

(On a side note, have you noticed recently that many new car engines come in standard sizes nowadays? 2.0 liter, 3.0 liter, etc. This is because China has specific tax laws based on engine size, and carmakers design their products to minimize tax burden to customers.)

California also mandates a different mix of gasoline compared to other states, supposedly to reduce various types of pollutants. I remember Arnold approving this at some point…

Yes, there are also some state level renewable energy goals. However, this is probably tradable using renewable energy certificates, which are kind of like carbon credits but for wind, solar, etc.

*Actually, I believe NY and other states adopted California standards pretty recently… So California is significant in setting a standard for other parts of the country.

I don’t understand why “Bernie was screwed” is a fascinating topic for Republicans. One of the reasons Bernie was prominent was because no top tier candidates even entered the fray because they were behind Hillary. No Warren, no Booker, no Biden. If they had entered, BS may have been weaker. Point is, nobody knows.

FYI, itera is Asian. Yeah I know, it’s amusing.

As an American, I care about how each of the two major parties function. I’m also no longer a republican, I’m an independent who usually caucuses with the republicans.

California exiting should be treated as a joke. Any encouragement for that idea is treason. That being said, California as a separate entity would be one of the top 10 largest economies in the world.

“We have to remember that we’re actually all on one team…We’re not Democrats first, we’re not Republicans first, we are Americans first. We’re patriots first. We all want what’s best for this country.” - Obama

“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God , indivisible , with liberty and justice for all.” - What you say if you’re a true american

I dont say one nation under god as im not religious, saying that phrase isnt what makes you a true american, its what makes you a religious america. Nothing wrong with being religious but dont act like repeating a phrase that supports religious belief is whats american. Its not like that was always part of the pledge that was added fairly recently.

That said I agree Cali leaving is silly. Its as silly as when Texas brings it up every now and then. People need to chill the elections over lets have a nice enjoyable weekend and see what happens. No sense getting pissed until Trump actually does something people disagree with.

Why the hell would they leave? That ensures republican reign for the rest of eternity lol.

I would just like to congratulate the Americans of AF on managing to get to the 3rd page of this discussion before someone went all crazy brainwashed Yankee, take a bow gents.

Called it.

-yaywork. 1st of i am catholic, but yes i do agree with you. seperation of church and state and all. that portion is outdated considering a quarter are atheiest or polytheistic, but i think it is just kept there to express the historical Christian roots of the country (which is still 70% of pop). and your second paragraph captures my thoughts exactly.

-gringo. im actually a liberal democrat, i am also a proud californian that will live and die in la -tupac. with that said i am pretty open minded about most things. but secession is not one of them. a peaceful transition of power that validates the people’s choice is key to our democracy. like yaywork says he hasnt enacted any negative policies. at this point its all just populist rhetoric.

brexit is all fine and dandy. these are separate nations with different cultures. but this is the the us of a. we have one culture. if you disagree. go vote next time. convince others to do such. better yet move to a swing state.

So . . . what has he really said?

In a nutshell: nothing.

We’re going to wait and see on this president (is that any different that what they’ve said – or, at least, thought – about any president ever elected? Um . . . no.

We have our values, and the president has his.

So . . . what’s new? Nobody ever said that you had to see eye-to-eye with the president, even when your electors all voted for the winner.

I’m a resident of California, and I certainly didn’t give Kevin de León permission to give an opinion on my behalf. Neither did the other 39,144,817 (2015 est., less yours truly) residents of California. Mr. de León is an arrogant ass.

The country will survive Donald Trump. California will survive Donald Trump. Just as they would have survived Hillary Clinton. And in 2020, we’ll have a whole new list of people to vilify who are trying to be President.

Ah, the spectacle.

Yes, that’s exactly the message they’re trying to get through and you’re right, it really is that easy, just tell all the Mexican, Black and Muslim kids who had to go to school the next day that “the country will survive Donald Trump”.

As opposed to telling the Mexican, Black, and Muslim kids . . . what, exactly? “It’s Donald Trump’s fault that people are acting like idiots.”? In a word: garbage.

I’m no supporter of Trump – nor of Clinton for that matter – but if Mexican, Black, and Muslim kids have been harassed since Tuesday – ore will be harassed at any time during Trump’s presidency – you should be pointing an accusing finger at the morons who are harassing them, not at Trump. He may well have said a lot of stupid things, but in the final analysis, the behavior of the citizenry is their own responsibility, not his.

Well, part of leadership is saying what behavior is tolerable and intolerable under your vision. Not just in a legal sense, but also in the moral sense.

Trump is not responsible for the fact that large swaths of society want to beat people up because they are the wrong color or religion or whatnot, but he is responsible for saying and indicating through his actions (“I’ll pay for his legal bills,” “Maybe the second ammendment people can do something about her…”, “She’s not attractive enough to be worth groping”, “David Duke, sure, I’m happy to have his support.”) that this sort of thing is no longer considered bad now that he’s President (or technically, president elect).

It’s like saying, it’s the dog’s fault that he bit you: don’t blame me, I just let him off his leash because he was feeling uncomfortable.

Not all Trump supporters are racists (I’m sure some of them are, you know, nice people), but it is his fault for not saying - when he knew those people were getting excited about him - those guys don’t speak for my values, and their values won’t be the driving force of my policy vision, don’t do these things in my name, etc…

That said, he could start doing those things now, which would be an improvement.

Sounds like a bunch of state senate activists being sore losers. They are right though - not much has to change in California in terms of social services, climate control, or overall taxation. I guess it is too bad that they will not be able to force their values on other states to the same extent.

I agree.

But I don’t see how that exonerates people of individual responsibility. If Trump said that it’s OK to steal from neighborhood merchants I, for one, wouldn’t start stealing from neighborhood merchants. Those who would, I would argue, were predisposed to such behavior and may even have been waiting for an excuse to do so. They’re the ones to blame, principally; Trump’s rôle, in my humble opinion, amounts to little more than contributory negligence.

Who said that blaming Trump for inciting them therefore exonerates the participants from the consequences of their actions?

You seem to be confusing responsibility with consequences.

That’s a mighty fine hair you’re splitting, there, particularly in the context of what I said.

To rephrase: Who said that blaming Trump’s leadership [indicating that this kind of behavior is acceptable] for the increase in these kinds of incidents means that the individual perpetrators have no responsibility for their actions, too.