How many of you workout? Fitness=Success on the street

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bambi, do you stretch in the middle of your > workout? Does it seem to help? Do you stretch > afterwards? if it is cold or if I want to run fast (intervals, tempo runs etc) I will stretch after a warm-up => increased the velocity/speed of my legs and decreased all type of injury related worries yes, always stretch post training, religiously flexibility = more speed less injuries

"arent you bored just working out? I mean other than looks or health benefits there are few apparent motivators, I mean its not fun " I read CFA notes while I was on the elliptical. Very productive! :wink:

CFAHouston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “euhm, personal life? friends, husbands, family = > always a nice “squeeze in” between work and sleep > time” > > Nice. I have to “squeeze in” personal life, > friends, family. Sad, gotta get my priority > straight. this was not targeted at you and “squeezed” was used in an ironic sense this being said I know many professional which work mad hours and neglect their personal life, whilst I am not suggesting that they neglect their work squeezing in a quick drink with a friend between work and sleep might improve their quality of life

ymc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "arent you bored just working out? I mean other > than looks or health benefits there are few > apparent motivators, I mean its not fun " > > I read CFA notes while I was on the elliptical. > Very productive! :wink: there will be a life post CFA and you will be reading more interesting stuff ie real books

“this was not targeted at you and “squeezed” was used in an ironic sense this being said I know many professional which work mad hours and neglect their personal life, whilst I am not suggesting that they neglect their work squeezing in a quick drink with a friend between work and sleep might improve their quality of life” Oh no, i didn’t mean to sound like it was meant at me. I actually wish i had that motivation like yours to focus on personal life, health, family, and friends. It might be my laziness or maybe i’m at that age, where I blame work for lack of personal life, focusing on health, or spending more time with the family.

“there will be a life post CFA and you will be reading more interesting stuff ie real books” Speaking of books, anyone read “Thousand Splendid Suns” or “Kite Runner”?

Kite Runner is great, I enjoyed the read - can you recommend the 1000 Suns?

I’ve read Kite Runner - great book.

I haven’t read Kite Runner yet. I finished Thousand Splendid Suns. It was great, you’d like it Bambi. Its about Two Aghani women and how their lives come together during the Soviet Union and Civil War. It focuses on love, friendship, relationship, and women endurance. Very good, but Sad. I wanted to move on a funnier/business book before I jump into Kite Runner. You know, they are making a movie out of Kite Runner.

CFAHouston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “this was not targeted at you and “squeezed” was > used in an ironic sense > this being said I know many professional which > work mad hours and neglect their personal life, > whilst I am not suggesting that they neglect their > work squeezing in a quick drink with a friend > between work and sleep might improve their quality > of life” > > Oh no, i didn’t mean to sound like it was meant at > me. I actually wish i had that motivation like > yours to focus on personal life, health, family, > and friends. It might be my laziness or maybe i’m > at that age, where I blame work for lack of > personal life, focusing on health, or spending > more time with the family. well, I have to honest, during my three CFA years I neglected family and friends, and even let go on my sports during May, but these years showed me as well how important friends and family where so I am catching up big time right now its impossible to do CFA, job, and the rest I think work is to blame for lack of personal life and it takes a lot of seniority and cold blood to leave the office when you think you are done - I still have huge face presence constraints but started recently to leave the office early - once the work is done! but still feel guilty but as well much better as i managed to make many new friends as I joined the local running club

CFAHouston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I haven’t read Kite Runner yet. I finished > Thousand Splendid Suns. It was great, you’d like > it Bambi. Its about Two Aghani women and how their > lives come together during the Soviet Union and > Civil War. It focuses on love, friendship, > relationship, and women endurance. Very good, but > Sad. I wanted to move on a funnier/business book > before I jump into Kite Runner. > > You know, they are making a movie out of Kite > Runner. well, thats interesting - erally wanted to read something about the Russian occupation in Afg, so this comes at the right time! will read it, thanks for the tip you want an odd, but joyful read - try “Life of Pi” on the more serious ones i just finished “A fine Balance”, amazing book, really amazing and yes, never read Crytonumicon, its awful

I’ve heard great review about “Life of Pi”. Will get it today. Thanks for the suggestion! On a different type of book, have you ever read any of Jennifer Weiner books?

I workout about 1.5-2 hours a day during the week and average close to 5-7 hours total on the weekends for about 12-15 hours all in. During the summer this number approaches close to 18-20 hours per week during peak training.

5-7 hours of working out…wow. Your working out hours sounds like my studying hours for the CFA.

None of this is gym/lifting/weights time, its all swim, bike and run training. I’ll let you guess the sport… : )

no joke

CFAHouston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 5-7 hours of working out…wow. Your working out > hours sounds like my studying hours for the CFA. Agreed…he must be in excellent shape. Equity_Analyst, on avg how many hours a week do you put in at the office?

I’m buyside so I have it easy comared to others. My office is particularly lax, most people are gone by 4:30pm. I put in 45 hours a week I’d say on average, but really in this job you never stop working, there is always stuff to read, and I often find I’m more productive at home in terms of working my way through research, articles, etc.

Why the heck is this topic so popular? I work out twice a week. Running, streching and lifting all inclusive take about 2 hrs and 15minutes. To be honest, I hate running in part because I lose weight and do not want to do it. I do it just because my gym is operated by the city and locker room is filthy. I change at home and run to the gym after work. Ideally, I want to work out 4 times a week, splitting my current routine in 2, but I do not do so because I hate running. I have kept my body fat percentage in single digit since I started to measure maybe 5-6 years ago. I was in rowing team in high school and college and fairly big, but not tall. Since I was the shortest on the team, they made me coxwain in my senior year and lost about 30 LB (23% of my weight) in 6 months. Hard part was, I was not fat and I had to lose muscle and water. In the end, I could not speak because my mouth was completely dry. I sipped water before the race. It paid off, though, because we won at least one local title and had decent year. Anyway, that experience changed my body. I could never gain back my weight. I am still working on it, but, I also want to keep 6 packs. That might be a challenge since I am hitting 40 next month…

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m buyside so I have it easy comared to others. > My office is particularly lax, most people are > gone by 4:30pm. I put in 45 hours a week I’d say > on average, but really in this job you never stop > working, there is always stuff to read, and I > often find I’m more productive at home in terms of > working my way through research, articles, etc. You are my idol