I am a phoenix

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >I am > perfectly comfortable betting my left test!cle > that there is a strong positive correlation > between quality of education and future > compensation. http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colleges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp Btw I like the band Phoenix, seeing them play this month in NYC

LICandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > >I am > > perfectly comfortable betting my left test!cle > > that there is a strong positive correlation > > between quality of education and future > > compensation. > > > http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colle > ges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp > > Btw I like the band Phoenix, seeing them play this > month in NYC +1 I like their groove

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > people who work 100hr weeks their entire life > > are > > > failures, even if they are worth $100 > > billion… > > > doesn’t matter what school you went to > > > > > > And the least intelligent post of the day goes > > to… > > you? haha +1

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LICandidate Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > >I am > > > perfectly comfortable betting my left > test!cle > > > that there is a strong positive correlation > > > between quality of education and future > > > compensation. > > > > > > > http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colle > > > ges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp > > > > Btw I like the band Phoenix, seeing them play > this > > month in NYC > > +1 I like their groove +0.5 - I like their groove, but the lyrics just don’t make sense. I think these French dudes didn’t learn English

[double post removed]

This (up to the last few posts) is one of the few good threads on AF these days. I’m basically with Spierce here, in that there is no reason to look down at people who don’t go to top-tier schools. It comes down to how you value people, their drive, and their accomplishments. It’s true that top-tier schools are a kind of sorting mechanism. The people that “just missed getting into Harvard” are very likely to be successful anyway, because they are likely very talented too. What a name like Harvard does is 1) get people to give you more opportunities because of the brand value, and 2) insert you into a social network of classmates and alumni who are also very advantaged. The value of this to many organizations increases over time. Interestingly, the raw quality of the faculty at top-tier and second-tier schools is actually not that different… in fact, the top-of-the-top tend to have faculty that focus on research and may not care much about teaching at all. The biggest differences between the tiers come in the interactions among the students as they study. People who don’t go do schools with massively accomplished alumni networks and name brand recognition don’t get those advantages. So how much of a person’s “value added” comes because of the innate intelligence and hard work required to get into a top school (understanding that some people, like George W, probably got in because of connections more than talent), and how much of subsequent accomplishment is simply the value of the name brand and the alumni network on the resume? Now, if you are an employer, and what you are evaluating is how many successful and smart people can this guy link me to (something like bringing in clients, or impressing them with credentials), I think the top-school person is going to be your choice. And maybe laziness has something to do with it. If something goes wrong with the Harvard/Yale/Princeton guy because he turns out “not to get it,” who could have known? He had an Ivy League pedigree. If he went to UoP, the hiring manager can be made to look like an idiot easily. However, if you want someone who is basically smart and works their butt off for you, maybe you want to look at the guy who went to University of Phoenix after all. In that case, you want to evaluate people not so much by the total things they’ve accomplished, but what they’ve had to overcome to accomplish the things they have done. It’s a different metric, and it’s also very useful. And when you evaluate people’s moral value, you definitely want to consider both what they’ve done and what they’ve had to overcome to do it. Did daddy arrange everything for you and you just had to take it for yourself, well, maybe you’re not so impressive, even if you were President of the United States. Did you come from a single-parent household in a poor town in rural America? Well, that Rhodes Scholarship means a heck of a lot more. Or even just getting to college. There are legitimate reasons for preferring the top tiered school people in an interview process, but that never means that you should assume that those who didn’t go there are dumb, create no value, have no drive, or any of the other things that some people on this board so enjoy implying.

Great post bchadwick. I agree 100%.

^^ +1

seems like the human being with the highest real ultimate super powers will be the ones who go to phoenix AND harvard business school, lol

^ Agreed. All this talk about UofP, I’m just going to apply there and see how it is. It’s probably tougher than we think, http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/business-and-management/masters/mba/v021.html

wilmott forums have a few phds and mbas from top schools (harvard, etc. )engaged in an ongoing good discussion about phoenix and that business model of a for-profit educational institution. (non-tenured “business” model, how they’re able to leverage the labor and low costs of adjunct faculty, the volume aspect of students, etc.)

I’ve read most of these replys and my roommate and I were just having this conversation the other day. I think it’s great people are trying to better themselves; but what are they really achieving? Are they really helping themselves with this ‘degree’?? I say that bc it seems like people sign up for online classes to get a degree in less than a yr. Honestly? Do you really expect to earn a 4 yr degree in 1 yr (or 1.5/2, what ever it is). And if you can, what the hell do you expect to retain from that? I feel like they (online schools) are basically a ‘pay to print your degree’ so you can say you have one. My roommate attends SDSU and should graduate this semester. A friend of his started at U of P 2 yrs after he started SDSU and made the comment ‘you’re still in school, I’ll have my Masters at yr’s end.’ Are you serious? Going to a class allows you to interact with people, meet girls (or guys), hang out, be social and learn from those around you plus what ever ‘else’. I’ve seen people who take a Stat exam multiple times, start, re-start, open book (may not have been U of P) and I’m like WTF?? Seriously?? Wish I could have done that in my Stat class. I busted my @ss to get a D in that class and here’s this clown just half @ssing around and not really trying and taking the test again. Why? He just wants the ‘degree’ to have on his rez. You go to a university to learn, better your self and it can be something that seperates you from others interviewing for a job. It shows you are committed (well, maybe) and have the potential/ability to succeed. Is having a degree from U of P going to put you above someone who attended (and I’ll leave out the top tier sch thing) MU or Illinois or Nebraska? Maybe. Might depend on work experience but all else equal, which candidate would you chose? So, to end this rant, I’m not a fan of the online school/pay to print a degree/earn your PhD in less than 3 yrs BS. I think these people are taking the easy way out, the quick fix to earn a degree just to put in on their resume. If it were easy we’d all be in the NFL/MLB. Why not just have the govn’t give everyone a degree, you know, make it ‘fair’. Life isn’t fair people. Done and done, I’m out.

^good job

A U of P degree will not look nice on the resume.

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A U of P degree will not look nice on the resume. Exactly! I was chirping my roommate a few weeks back as he randomly got a information packet from DeVry. We then decided that if DeVry gave him a free honorary MBA, he wouldn’t put it on his resume.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ Agreed. All this talk about UofP, I’m just going > to apply there and see how it is. It’s probably > tougher than we think, > > http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/bu > siness-and-management/masters/mba/v021.html Might help to get someone who could get accepted… anyone else?

The funny thing to me is that in 10 years the elite schools will be offering online degrees based on the U of P model to maximize revenue.

I’m willing to bet my life savings against yours that they won’t.

yeah higgmond, i’ll take that bet too, if you’re playing house that is…

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m willing to bet my life savings against yours > that they won’t. Savings, what savings? The 1 thing I learned in the last 12 months is that saving and living within one’s means is stupid. I now have 2 mortgages totally 142% of the value of my house, lease a ridiculously overpriced SUV, and fly to Miami every weekend where I stay at the Four Seasons in a suite overlooking Biscayne Bay.