I am a phoenix

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m willing to bet my life savings against yours > that they won’t. Never say never, it’s impossible to predict the future. They probably don’t need the money now, but who knows what the world will be like 10 years from now. PT and EMBA programs are extremely profitable, as they require almost no incremental costs to run.

Like I said, I’m willing to bet anyone that it won’t happen. Warren Buffett was willing to bet his life savings that the S&P would be higher 10 years from now and I think my bet is more of a sure thing than his.

Good post, bchadwick. One thing that hasn’t been discussed… What you do know about most people who graduate from a top school is that they are good students (or were before attending) and can test well. To succeed professionally in business requires a certain amount of innate intelligence, sure. But knowing when to take risks, how to deal with people, seeing the big picture… These are things that can’t be taught in a top undergrad school, where following the proscribed course and taking tests well are the most valued abilities. A less academic person may have these skills. Maybe they went to a tier 3 school, but if they have a sixth sense when it comes to these things, they can often go farther than a Harvard grad, assuming they pick an area that isn’t shut off to them based on the school they attended.

BTW, Harvard is already offering law classes online through it’s extension school.

I got my MBA from U of P in '03 and I kind of regret it. I went there because a) there was a physical campus across the street from my work, b) it’s fully accredited, and c) my company would pay for most of it. Now though, I almost wonder if it helps or hurts me to put it on my resume. I haven’t really “shopped” it because I like my current job. I passed Level 1 in June, and I’m counting on the CFA to get me where I need to go. I’m actually considering seeing if some of my credits will transfer (along with the CFA exam experience) to USF or University of Tampa (after I finish all 3 levels) so I can put a “better name” on my resume. I definitely don’t look down on anyone who goes for any extra education, but for me personally, I don’t feel it was worth it…even though it was free and I learned some things. Any thoughts on whether it’s better to not have an MBA listed on your resume, or have one from U of P?

i’d leave it off to tell you the truth. get the cfa and thats all you need. but what do i know, i’m just a young guy and i’m not a recruiter. anyone over 30 who is interviewing you will look down on it though b/c it likely didn’t exist while they were going to school. UofP is the texting of education whereas everything else is a phone call.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > UofP is the texting of education whereas > everything else is a phone call. +1

How fast is it to get MBA thru U of P

chrisclwtr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any thoughts on whether it’s better to not have an > MBA listed on your resume, or have one from U of > P? Depends on what your background is before that. If you are a community college graduate, then it’s probably good. If you are a Princeton graduate, people will assume there is something wrong with you.

What do you guys think of degrees offered by University of London External System. I’ve considered applying for MSc Finance (major: Financial Sector Management) but backed-out.

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >How fast is it to get MBA thru U of P It took about 2 years. It was mainly focused on group work, writing papers, and making presentations. Usually you’d have a group paper and or presentation every week, and also an individual paper. When I went there were no tests, and they were generally pretty easy graders (I never got below an A-, although I know some others who did get Cs and Ds). In my opinion, they don’t want to grade you too hard so they can make more money by keeping you around. My undergrad is from a small school…not anything prestigious, but a pretty good school. I never put in the time in high school to get excellent grades, etc., I just wanted to go to a decent school and play basketball. Then I got to college and did ok, but cared more about having fun. If I had it to do over again I probably would’ve studied a little harder, but overall I loved my college experience and I’m happy with my life.

chrisclwtr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfagoal2 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > >How fast is it to get MBA thru U of P > > It took about 2 years. It was mainly focused on > group work, writing papers, and making > presentations. Usually you’d have a group paper > and or presentation every week, and also an > individual paper. When I went there were no > tests, and they were generally pretty easy graders > (I never got below an A-, although I know some > others who did get Cs and Ds). In my opinion, > they don’t want to grade you too hard so they can > make more money by keeping you around. > > My undergrad is from a small school…not anything > prestigious, but a pretty good school. I never > put in the time in high school to get excellent > grades, etc., I just wanted to go to a decent > school and play basketball. Then I got to college > and did ok, but cared more about having fun. If I > had it to do over again I probably would’ve > studied a little harder, but overall I loved my > college experience and I’m happy with my life. Wow, really easy MBA, but I guess it is the same with most schools. MBA isn’t meant to be hard.

> > Wow, really easy MBA, but I guess it is the same > with most schools. MBA isn’t meant to be hard. Getting into the MBA program is supposed to be the hard part, implying that you are talented. Otherwise, you have really good connections. Either way, it is good for a business career.

Just get hitched to a wealthy person, that’s really the best plan.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just get hitched to a wealthy person, that’s > really the best plan. I have a friend who tried that. Not all it’s cracked up to be, at least if you are a guy married to a wealthy woman, especially one who inherited her wealth.

When hiring someone for my team (MBA required), I will not consider a candidate that went to a non-AACSB accredited business school. The school should at least meet some sort of minimum standards.

I dont get the anti-U of P sentiment. Truth is I might be in a hiring position much more than many of you guys. I have great credentials/education myself. And I will not hold U of P degree against a candidate. Maybe I am just an ignorant basturd.

…Or an inglourious basterd.

congrats Aliman. I heard you were a hit in NYC.

I would never hire a UofP, even if he were the best candidate I came across. Lot of reputation risk, and reputation goes a long way in this industry.