I just experienced racism

Her green smoothie product seems nice.

I think there is a high level of false positives for racism. If anyone does anything to a minority, it’s interpreted as racism. For example, I get asked fairly often if I work at various stores I’m shopping at. But if I was a minority, this would be perceived as racist.

And then it’s quite fashionable now to blame everything on racism. “America got all its wealth off the back of slaves!” such as NYT 1619 project. Listened to a historian a few days ago explain why he believes this is actually completely opposite of reality. I don’t care enough to figure out the truth, but he made a compelling case that the 1619 project is fake news.

Does racism exist? Yes. Do I think it suffers from lots of false positives? Yes. Do people sometimes use racist things to make people made even if they aren’t racist (same as insulting someone’s mother). Yes.

I grew up in a minority majority area in the south. I lived in the North for a while and everyone would tell me how racist the South was as they went to their segregated schools with 99% white makeup. Give me a break!

But I’ve also witnessed people say they won’t hire African Americans (but hired Mexicans). And the data is compelling that black men in particular are negatively impacted by racism.

My point is that this stuff is way too complex to try to take an average of the racism of America. If you do this, it just shows you are a lazy thinker IMO

You might perceive it as racist. I certainly wouldn’t. I cannot say what percentage of the population would, but I would be (at least mildly) surprised if it were a majority.

Umm. Where do I begin. There’s nothing lazy about making a general statement referring to widespread racism in America and I’m not the first person to make that assessment. Segregation is not a just a distant memory, it happened during your parents lifetime and that mindset does not dissipate in one generation.

I’m not so callous to say that everybody in the US is racist, just that it is prevalent and easily witnessed. Like I said, I was caught in the middle of a pro-white demonstration downtown Portland just two summers ago. Complete and absolute chaos ensued, which ended up on the front page of CNN. I’ve never seen anything like that and apparently it wasn’t the first one. I don’t live in the US so I clearly have a different mindset. It could be that you’re simply climatized. And before you or others come in heavy with “there’s racism in Canada, too!”, I can assure you it is not nearly to the same degree.

everyone is definitely racist. but tehre is diffeernt spectrums. a kkk person clearly super racist. But some have more toned down racism. Some assume things about other races that are generally true. If that is racism then I am certainly guilty of it. Then there are others where you just act differently because it’s a different race. its natural to be a little scared of the other race that’s prolly why we all act differently. i definitely act differently depending on the other race. Depending if they’re black, Asian, or white. They all have different spectrums on what you can joke about. Ya feel me. Lastly I feel more comfortable when it’s a Filipino brother.

Ok, that’s ridiculous. You don’t even live here and you keep pointing to this one thing that happened that was a big enough deal (clearly rare enough) that it made front page news. I’ve lived here my whole life without wandering into rally. This rawraw’s right on this, this is some ridiculously lazy reasoning.

I rode a Greyhound bus one time in Canada back in 2008 and this nice guy Tim was riding in front of me, suddenly a Canadian stabs, murders and beheads him, it made front page news, Canada has a serious knife problem.

Ok boys, don’t get too worked up here. This is clearly an argument I’m not going win. The rally was insane, rare or not. That’s one example man that I happened to be a part of. And from speaking with locals they describe Portland as a hub of sorts for white nationalists. It’s not a one off like a guy getting his head cut off on a bus. But yes, I get it, not every state and every person in the US is racist.

Portland is a hub of triple soy half caf mocha lattes.

1 Like

No wonder they’re crazy.

1 Like

Lol. Marvins Room.

My boys Lana Rhodes just made a tik tok!!

Catchy little tune. Reminds me of a play I went to once. I didn’t have the patience to sit through that, either.

lol why would anyone talk about polish people. no one even talks about their cavalry charge against german tanks in ww2. but imo that must have been epic. kind of like the fictional movie the last samurai, starring a white guy.

Just wondering how race comes into a golf swing…

Greenie, confronting bigotry doesn’t immediately imply violence. Also, I appreciate everyone’s “false positive” input in this thread - I get that I really do - but you have to just call racism out when it happens.

In this context, an ironic one.

Maybe not on your part, but if you call someone out publicly for being a racist, there’s a good chance that person will react with violence. I mean, if they’re stupid enough to say something racist in public, then they’re probably stupid enough to resort to violence.

Then who do you want to confront racism?

I think this is the same line of reasoning the south took to try to get the north to stand down in 1861, you have to applaud the consistency if nothing else.

Anybody but me.