If Gronk had any pride left, he would retire...

imagine if gronk reproduces with ronda rousey

that kid gonna be a beast LOL

^

you have never seen Gronks mom. She is a Ronda Roussey clone.

Week 5 results:

Gronk - 5 catches, 109 yards

Witten - 3 catches, 43 yards

Gronk finally wins one!!! (Granted, he was playing against the Browns, but a W is a W nonetheless!!!)

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove by comparing week to week results here. Gronk won this “contest” whatever day you decided to posit the absurd theory that Jason Witten was better. People laughed at you, for good reason. Has a single person come forth that’s taken your side? When will you stop?

https://gfycat.com/BlueDownrightChihuahua

LOL

Greenie what are your thoughts on the QB position once Romo is healthy? Dak is looking good, hate pulling a hot hand but Romo is always solid before the playoffs

@Ltj - Good for you that we’re comparing week-to-week. If we were comparing season numbers, Witten would be ahead by a mile.

@Yayy - cut him and go with Prescott. I’m a Romo fan, and I think he’s a good QB, but his cap hit isn’t worth it. Cut him and use the money to get a pass rusher. (It doesn’t matter if you have Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning as your QB’s–if your defense sucks, you’re not going to win many games.)

Logged into our AF Fantasy Football league this morning. Lo and behold, Jason Witten was dropped and on the waiver wire. Meanwhile, Gronk “shockingly” still owned despite effectively missing 4 weeks and putting up a medicore (for him) week 5. In fact, there are 14 tight ends currently owned in the league and Jason Witten can’t even crack that list despite having the best ability… availability.

Lololololol.

^We’ll see. Season’s only about 1/3 over, so Gronk still has an opportunity to be injured for another 10 more games or so.

First, I actually started this thread mostly in jest, as a nod to the Madden Curse. But then our war of words flared up and Gronk missed the first four games of the season, which makes it genuinely intriguing.

Second, I never said (or at least didn’t MEAN to say) that I would take Witten right now over Gronk. But rather, I said that if I was a coach, and I could take Jason Witten’s career (13 years, 1000+ catches, one missed game) or Gronk’s (6 years, 386 catches, but he’s missed 16 games), I’d take Jason Witten’s. (Note: those numbers don’t include 2016, of which Gronk did not play in two games, and was a non-factor in two more.)

I’ll freely admit that Gronk is the better player, even when Witten was in his prime. But knowing what we know right now, if I was drafting a team, and I got their whole career, I’d take Witten over Gronk. In fact, I’d take Witten over any TE in the NFL except Tony Gonzalez.

Greenie, would your opinion be different if having Gronk would have resulted in the Cowboys winning a SB during his career?

the expression “stop while you’re behind” seems so appropriate to me

^Honestly, I don’t think so. The fact that the guy’s been in the league six years (not counting this one) and has missed an entire season puts him, at best, third on the list, behind Gonzalez and Witten.

Some others that I would put ahead of Gronk as of today: Mike Ditka, Jay Novacek, Antonio Gates, Ozzie Newsome, Shannon Sharpe, and Kellen Winslow.

Granted, Witten’s the only active TE on that list, and his career is definitely nearer to the end than the beginning. Gronk still have several more years to play. And when all’s said and done, I expect him to be near the top (if not AT the top) of the TE list. But not now. Not after only having played six years (or five, depending on how you look at it).

(FYI–I was just kidding about Jay Novacek. I just threw him in to add to the list of Cowboys TE’s.)

I like how you listed games and catches but not yards and touchdowns. Gronkowski’s “worst” season, as a rookie, posted 13.0 yards per reception which is a full yard+ over Witten’s best season (11.9). Gronk averages 14.7 yards per reception on his career to Witten’s 11.0. And of course touchdowns, which of course, Gronkowski may arguably be the best red zone threat EVER.

But if you were starting a franchise today you’d take Witten over Gronk. Because of course you would. That is in-sane, dude. You may literally be the only person in the entire world who would do that.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/nfl/cowboys/former-cowboys-te-on-jason-witten-i-hated-him/334935746

In the promo video for an ESPN E:60 feature on The Brothers Bennett – Martellus and his brother, Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett – the former didn’t mince words about

“Witten didn’t talk to me when I was in Dallas, he didn’t help me,” Martellus says in the video. “Very rarely did we talk.”

“I hated him. I hated Witten.”

Bennett was the Cowboys’ second-round draft choice in 2008 and spent four seasons with Dallas. Over that span, he caught 85 passes for 846 yards and four touchdowns. Witten, who started every game over those years ahead of Bennett on the depth chart, logged 348 catches for 3,926 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Is the next best ability “likeability”?

I need to reword my question. Would you, as a Cowboy fan, trade Witten’s career as a Cowboy for Gronk’s career and a SB win? Put another way, the Bears take Witten with the 68th pick in 2003 (one spot ahead of Dallas), Dallas has run of the mill, or even shitty, TE’s until 2010 when they make the trade to get to 42 and take Gronk. Cowboys beat GB in 2014 playoffs instead of lose because of Gronk’s 108 yards and TD as compared to Witten’s 78 yards and no TD, and they go on to win the SB.

I realize that’s comparing the 2014 Witten who was already nearing the end of his career to a much younger Gronk, but would you give up the years between 2003 and 2010 to raise the trophy in 2014 (technically 2015)?

I wonder who will win next week’s matchup?

Not surprising. I suspect most NFL players aren’t particularly nice or helpful to guys drafted to potentially replace them.

You could say the exact same thing about Favre/Rodgers, and it doesn’t take away from the fact that Brett Favre is a great quarterback. (So is Rodgers, by the way.)

You could say the same thing about Montana and Young.

Or Bledsoe and Brady.

Or Bledsoe and Romo.

Or Rivers and Brees.

Or Warner and Manning.

I’m not understanding your point at all.

I’m not understanding your question. But if you’re asking if I would like the Cowboys to win a SB, the answer is “yes”.

I laughed. Re-ranking importance.

1. Availability

2. Likability

3. Oafish behavior

4. Redzone production