MBA Apps

mzwerner Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I couldn’t care less if every dude there was > g@y, > > means more chicks for me. > > > Um yeah on the chick front not so much (30%). Most > are married… A wise man told me this weekend that chicks that get married this early soon realize that they married a dud (9/10) and are soon hornier than a rose bush.

^ I’ve realized that divorced women in their 30s are extremely horny. They also know what they want and go for it unlike young women who are too shy and naive and wait for a prince to approach them.

^agree with both of the above

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mzwerner Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I couldn’t care less if every dude there was > > g@y, > > > means more chicks for me. > > > > > > Um yeah on the chick front not so much (30%). > Most > > are married… > > > A wise man told me this weekend that chicks that > get married this early soon realize that they > married a dud (9/10) and are soon hornier than a > rose bush. I guess I’m the 1/10 portion of the population … I’ll consider myself lucky :wink:

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Yale has cache outside of Wall Street. Columbia > doesn’t. Ask any yokel from Wyoming if he’s ever > heard of Columiba and he’ll tell you he can’t > stand them drug dealers from Bogota. Even if this is true, you have to realize that the people hiring top MBA’s are generally top MBA’s themselves. Especially for finance. And no “top” MBA program is less regarded and more despised by other top MBAers than Yale. Sure, maybe you think that the HBS or Wharton guys are a little cocky, but at least you respect them. On the other hand, SOM is seen as a program that is simply trading on the overall school’s reputation. They are also keeping their class sizes tiny and deferring admission to keep admission rates down. And it’s working–Yale has moved up in the rankings the past several years which has created more resentment. So who’s going to recruit at Yale? Alumni for sure (just like every MBA program), but with the small class sizes and relatively new program, there’s not a lot out there. What about a Chicago grad who runs a hedge fund–he would go to his school first for sure, and then about 15 other schools before Yale. Same thing with a bank filled with Duke and Virginia grads.

^ 1+

Nice work. To build on naturallight’s remarks: Yale living Alumni: 5,616 http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/yale.html Columbia living alumni: 37,000 http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/columbia.html That is a massive advantage for CSB. Having a large number of well placed alumni in finance means so much more than what some yahoo in Wyoming or Russia thinks of your school. BTW: look at the career placement disparity. CSB placed 25 people with GS in 2008. 17 with Morgan stanley. Those firms didn’t even make the list of top hiring firms at Yale. Yale is a fine program but it just isn’t in the class of CSB for finance.

That’s great except not everyone who graduates wants to work 100 hour weeks.

I’ve never met a Yale MBA, but I probably know 30-40 CSB grads. I’m not sure where the Yalies work, but from my own observations, it ain’t Wall St. I’m not knocking the school, just pointing out an empirical observation.

This might come as a revelation, but not everyone works on Wall Street.

^Exactly, but generally Wall St. is regarded as more prestigious than a corp. finance role in Minneapolis, a business development role in Kansas City, or a CSR position in Atlanta. You don’t need a top 5 MBA to work in those types of roles - you do however need a top 5 MBA if you’re serious about breaking into a legit Wall St. firm from an MBA program. My point is that Yale is not highly represented on Wall St., which speaks to the quality of the program…especially since it has a “finance” focus and is in CT. But if you’re interested in starting a non-profit, being a moody’s analyst, or doing some mid-level work in the “cards business” at amex, I’m sure it would be a good fit.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^Exactly, but generally Wall St. is regarded as > more prestigious than a corp. finance role in > Minneapolis, a business development role in Kansas > City, or a CSR position in Atlanta. You don’t > need a top 5 MBA to work in those types of roles - > you do however need a top 5 MBA if you’re serious > about breaking into a legit Wall St. firm from an > MBA program. My point is that Yale is not highly > represented on Wall St., which speaks to the > quality of the program…especially since it has a > “finance” focus and is in CT. But if you’re > interested in starting a non-profit, being a > moody’s analyst, or doing some mid-level work in > the “cards business” at amex, I’m sure it would be > a good fit. I have little doubt quality of life would be better in any of those positions. Corp dev/corp finance roles out of b-school will still be around 100k, but with half the hours and a much lower cost of living.

You still has to respect donkey’s strategy. He knows he can’t get admitted to the top programs (fierce competition, high GMAT scores …) so he is shooting for a name school that can pass for a top program to the average guy in Wyoming while saying crap about the top schools he doesn’t have a chance of getting into (NYU is borderline second-tier, CBS is crap, …)

I thought he’s also applying to HBS & Wharton…

I knew a guy that almost went to Yale SOM. The whole appeal for him was that people in his native country would have no idea how lowly ranked the MBA program was, that their only point of reference is that is on par with Harvard (undergrad.) Eventually, he realized that chances were that out of the MBA program he would want to still work in the US and thus the informed recruiters at the choice companies would be aware of Yale SOM weakness.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought he’s also applying to HBS & Wharton… Yup.

Though I have heard Yale offers proportionally more scholarships which may be important for those not born with golden spoons in hands.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You still has to respect donkey’s strategy. He > knows he can’t get admitted to the top programs > (fierce competition, high GMAT scores …) so he > is shooting for a name school that can pass for a > top program to the average guy in Wyoming while > saying crap about the top schools he doesn’t have > a chance of getting into (NYU is borderline > second-tier, CBS is crap, …) ^ brilliant! quoted for truth.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought he’s also applying to HBS & Wharton… ^ that’s about as impressive as a CFA Level I Candidate, though arguably less so because the MBA application fee is less. i guess that makes iheartiheartmath a real wall street baller now at his imaginary hedge fund. wondering if he got the memo that monopoly money isn’t real?

Captain Awesome in da hizzouse!!!