Official: 2011 CFA LII Results countdown thread...

Hi Aladdin, You already have an M.Sc. in Finance. That is great. Years ago, I did some of volunteer (pro bono)work interacting with people and that experience seemed to help me. Just a thought.

Alladin. i understand what you mean because i have a very similar situation to yours. as i have grown older, and as my anxieties have generally increased linearly over the years, i have come to the conclusion that its really hard to stop anxieties, and the accompanying compulsions period. there simply is no quick fix, and i dislike any kinds of medications as the side effects are usually even worse. i am learning how to live with it ( through exercise, music, reading etc), and i am aware of how damaging it could be to your social life, or your career etc. but thats the way i am, and thats the way ive always been as far as i can tell. hopefully we both pass this exam, and get some sort of kick start to a fabulous career, or girl, or anything as you said, :).

Alladin, I suggest you read some Henry Miller - either Tropic of Cancer or Tropic of Capricorn. Both of these speak to the feelings you have right now. In the end, you don’t have to put yourself through any of this. You do not need a job. You do not need a qualification. It would be better to starve to death than to spend one more day worrying about these things. They do not matter. Take a good look inward at yourself. Do not worry about the external forces of the world, they are out of our control. You have a mind, a good one, enjoy that. You can still probably get it up, enjoy that. You’re alive, enjoy that.

Alladin, Sorry to hear about your struggles. You seem resolved to weather the hard times, which is good. As for the anxiety, if it is preventing you from going to interviews, that is going to be a problem in finding work. If that is a persistent, chronic feeling I’d strongly recommend you find a licensed psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a psychologist with advanced medical training. They would be able to diagnose and provide medication to assist you in managing those emotions. You could use it as a way to control anxiety while working on the underlying causes. As for the CFA Level II exam, we can’t control the outcome at this point. If you are concerned that you will need to retake it, I can send you my notes from the exam. No guarantee that I’ll pass but the notes are quite comprehensive, outlining each of the LOS for about 95% of the chapters. Sincerely, Peter

Alladin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sometimes life ain’t that cut and dry. I graduated > in 2009 with a msc in finance and have been > unemployed/unemployable ever since… > > I applied again, this time to > backoffice functions…made it to the final round > at a couple of firms and again was overcome with > fear so much so that I withdrew my application on > the day of the interview (5hrs before I was to > appear in person in London)… Wait, you choose to withdraw from the final round of interview after 2 years of being jobless?? even you go and don’t get it, at least you gave yourself a chance. If you don’t go, you certainly have no chance. Any backoffice job has got to be better than no job, yea?

Wow… that is rough. I wish you the best of luck dealing with these issues, Alladin. I, as a general rule, do not like people… but I do have the ability to be a social animal when the need presents itself.

Alladin, find a psychologist (no drugs) / psychiatrist (drugs) to talk to. Your feelings are not uncommon and there is nothing wrong with getting help. You don’t need to tell anyone so who cares what they would say / think if they knew? All the best.

tcb Wrote: > I, as a general rule, do not like people… HA! well put. Alladin - you’re on the wrong forum man. There are tons of other forums out there for people with your problems. Those will probably make you feel better anyway, as misery loves company. Just chill out man, good lord.

Hi Aladdin, In order to break the cycle, thinking must be changed from believing you can’t, to entertaining the possibility you can. This is done with practice and by a series of small successes. Eventually, with enough work, you start believing your can. That belief is called “confidence.” This seems to have helped me.

Aladdin, You have to focus on your success and all the good things you have in life and not the failures and bad things. Those will consume you really quick. If you live in a developed country and went to a college you are in the top 10% at least, so pick your head up and stop feeling sorry for yourself or that your not enough. You can do anything you put your mind to so think positive thought and positive things will happen. Off to think positive thoughts, like I passed this thing…

Wow ! Thank you all for these lovely responses…did not expect them on AF at all!

Alladin, I feel for you because my girlfriend has just recently started to recover from a 2-year bout with extreme anxiety (panic attacks, etc.) She’s getting over it though, and now she volunteers at a local resource center with other people who have the same issues. Basically, the only way to get out of it is to attack it head-on. You have to fight it. I would strongly recommend seeing psychologists until you find one that you like, but you need to keep challenging yourself socially and attack the problem. Don’t forget, even the most confident of us get really nervous. (I did an open-mic night tonight as a benefit for the aforementioned resource center, and I was terrified beforehand…even though I know I have a good singing voice). But the more you let that normal nervousness/fear take over, the more you’re going to fall into that pattern of fear and anxiety. Again, the answer is to attack it head on. Another suggestion is meditation. My girlfriend insists that it is what helped pull her out of her anxiety, and I personally think it is an amazing tool for one’s brain. I know you can turn things around…you gotta fight for it though. Attack it like it’s the CFA exam. And remember, your health is the most important thing.

TWELVE days left…

Alladin, you mustn’t compare yourself with only a select group of a few successful people you have met or heard of, people who might just have been more lucky. In the year of my graduation I didn’t secure any interview for any graduate scheme. I took up a dull job as a computer programmer, it was like the only job offer I could get, and during the interview my boss told me I talked too much. Once I had that job, I really disliked it, it was dull, monotone and unfulfilling and - worse - didn’t have anything to do with the subject area I had graduated in. Within a year the economy had slumped, there were massive layoffs at that computer firm, and during my second year after graduating I ultimately had to quit the programming job only to secure a dayjob in a small firm, where I did accounting (plain book-keeping and payroll). I hadn’t worked there for a particularly long time when the currency of my country was suddenly devaluated with ~25%, interest rates soared, the job market froze and jammed and I got stuck with accounting and payroll for quite a few years and almost forgot I had ever had any other interests.

i couldnt wait till the results came back, but now that we are less than two weeks away from the REAL D-day in my opinion, im not sure if i even wanna know my result, in both cases the result will be a big shock to my system, i plan on buying me a Chivas regal no 18 bottle to massively celebrate either an Epic victory or a massive defeat.

i wonder how i am gonna manage to open the results mail, shaky sweaty hands and all

mr_moose Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i couldnt wait till the results came back, but now > that we are less than two weeks away from the REAL > D-day in my opinion, im not sure if i even wanna > know my result, in both cases the result will be a > big shock to my system, i plan on buying me a > Chivas regal no 18 bottle to massively celebrate > either an Epic victory or a massive defeat. +1 i was thinking the same sort of thing just today… good luck everyone!

You’ll freak out. You’ll check the L2 thread and see others post their results, wondering WHY THE HELL YOUR RESULT IS NOT IN YET? Then, at a refresh of your inbox, there it is. Title: June 2011 CFA Exam Results. Hopefully, with a Level II: Pass. Good luck.

Will you see Pass or Fail in the subject line? Or you have to open that email to find out? Thanks

You’ll have to open the email. Sucks rocks.