Quandry

^ I’m ok with that.

And if it happens while your kayaking, make sure he doesn’t drown you by flipping your kayak over and holding you underwater.

I was providing advice for a situation with a friend in which you said he still wasn’t over her, i really wouldn’t classify a 5-6 as a friend but rather an acquaintance, therefore i would say no punches are warranted.

Well, I gave him a 5-6 cause we kayak all the time together, but we don’t do non-kayaking things together. So, if I quit kayaking, I’d probably not run into him again.

I change my advice then too. I was thinking he was an 8-9 friend. If he’s a 5-6, keep your mouth shut unless he specifically asks you or indirectly asks you in a pretty obvious way.

Whoa… did not know he was your kayaking partner. That could be lethal.

Take out some term life insurance and have Lockheed as the beneficiary (I’ll give you my social), if you are going to ‘tell him about the girl’.

Yeah, I’d also want to withdraw my first advice. A 5-6 friend, and only for kayaking … you should drown him next time and keep both the chick and his kayak.

It’s a dangerous sport and accidents happen.

I may not have been super clear, her, him and I kayak all the time together.

Indeed. I’d guess a punch may still be thrown, but at a 5-6 level you’re allowed to defend yourself.

Problem is that BS is a proficient fighter. Chances are that Swannie would level Mr. 5-6, and that would be even worse.

The reason I’m not a fan of all this “taking a punch” business is because we aren’t two geeks from the engineering department spraining our wrists slap fighting over some girl.

I spent 3-4 years training 6+ hours a day for golden gloves with a few years of wrestling thrown in there as well and am still in better shape than 90% of people with a lot of upper body from kayaking, etc.

This other dude did some of the Navy Seal BUD/S training before he got released with an injury and is about 2-3 inches taller, probably the same weight and also in good shape from kayaking class V water. “Taking a punch” from either of us uncontested would be serious head trama business and I’m not really psyched about getting into it with him in general, and I’d split the odds for either of us around 50/50.

You should have thought of that before banging his ex.

Equal odds are equal odds.

So if it becomes an issue, find someone else to kayak with. It’s not like you’ll become some kind of pariah in the kayaking world.

You’re still the one that f’d up. Sure, this guy isn’t your best friend or anything, but kicking his ass would be a great way to drive the girl away forever. Imagine what a pity case that other dude would make. I’m sure the girl feels guilty anyway, then you bloody him up? She’d go running back to him in no time.

The thing is, and you don’t seem to be accepting this, you deserve to get punched. At this moment, you’re a bad friend. It’s guy code and you broke it. Never bang a buddies ex. If you take your punishment everything can go back to normal. Time served and all. If you don’t - either you try to ignore this or you fight back - you’ll definitely lose the friend and probably the girl as well.

It’s a lose-lose.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that a punch to the face would necessarily be forthcoming. For instance, you could ask him if he would have a problem with you asking her out. If he says no, then say good because you already slept with her.

The closer it is to their relationship being over would increase the probability of a fight, and the more he either feels betrayed or dislikes you. Also, if he thinks he has a shot of getting back with her, or if he wants to get back with her. Those both would increase the probability.

Lol, you’re over thinking this way too much. And assuming a scenario that isn’t reflective of the current one. We are friends, but not BFF’s and they broke up 6 months ago and she’s had another boyfriend since. Obviously your view is a bit biased because you were on the other side. And that’s okay, but it’s not this reality. I understand you have probably never done any real trained fighting. But taking a punch from a trained fighter without contesting it is a good way to get legit brain trauma. Beyond that, if this guy decides to throw a hissy fit over some chic that has moved on with a guy that likes because he can’t get his sh*t straight, then he better be ready to deal with it. End of story. She’s not running off with anyone, especially not the guy that got beat up by the guy defending himself. Contrary to what floats around this forum, most girls don’t like a beta. If she does run off with the other dude, no biggy, I saved myself a beating, dodged a bad PR bullet, and solved the problem. Great!

I think Higgs has it right with his last point. I’d call it win-win.

Big difference between a fight and taking a punch too. Taking a punch is the bro equivalent of a spanking. You’re not out to do real damage, just enough to get your point across. When you’re in a fight you’re out to hurt someone.

Edit: You’re the one that asked for advice. This dude isn’t a friend if it doesn’t matter that much to you. If that’s the case, then yeah, screw that guy (figuratively, not like you did his ex).

Depends on who’s throwing that punch. You get hit once without blocking or rolling with a punch from either of us given our backgrounds, and there’s a legit chance you’ll be eating mush through a straw for the next 8 weeks, and I’m simply being realistic here. Having your jaw wired shut would BLOW. And is definitely not worth it.

You don’t do anything half-assed do you BS?