successful income levels

So as corollroy, what should you have achieved by various ages to be successful: Example: Age Accomplishment 30 stable job, lovely wifey 40 2 kids in middle school, active volunteer 50 kids in college, bought a small fishing boat 60 still married, kids married is this more successful then?

To set the record straight, my comment to numi was said tongue in cheek. He contributes a lot to this forum, arguably more than anyone else. If I had known the direction it would steer this thread I wouldn’t have made it to begin with.

Thanks for the kind words, all. I know that most of you appreciate my contributions, and as I always say, I’ve learned a lot from people on this forum as well. More than anything, my comments were specifically directed towards a single individual whose behavior has become rather irksome, not only to me but evidently to others as well. Please don’t worry about me…I didn’t take any personal exception to anything that was said to me. Concerning my mentioning of my personal accomplishments, I try not to make it too gratuitous though I’m sure it happens sometimes and it’s something that I’ll continue to monitor. I think humility is always preferable to boastfulness. That being said, oftentimes when I mention something about my credentials or experiences, I do it to provide some background or context to support my statements. As many of you seen, there are certain individuals on this forum that pretend to work in an area of finance they know nothing about, or choose to misrepresent their level of expertise. I think this does more harm than good for the community, so it’s important to know where people are coming from when you consider the validity of the things they say. I recognize that there will always be certain people that may not agree with the manner in which I convey information on this board, but I’m going to keep doing things in the way I know best. If my postings on this forum can somehow help others advance their careers or increase their knowledge base, I’m going to continue doing just that. There are numerous individuals on this forum that have helped me in my career, and the least I can do is keep giving back. Anyway, thanks everyone for the thoughts.

now, if Taniamadrid came back, she could heal the rift between numi and ihihm

^lol

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my postings on this forum help others advance their careers or increase > their knowledge base Such as the illustrious and informative “how to cheat on my girlfriend” thread. Well done Captain Awesome!

24 now. 30: $200k 40: $300k 50+: >$300k though my goals are more oriented around the type of work I want to be doing / types of responsibilities I’d like to have at these points in my career. the pay levels should go hand in hand with those jobs.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 5-6+ years out - $275K+ > > unfortunately, won’t make near that because of > crap deal flow, oh well. fail Where have you been? Crap deal flow? Do you work for Jefferies?

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 5-6+ years out - $275K+ > > > > unfortunately, won’t make near that because of > > crap deal flow, oh well. fail > > > Where have you been? Crap deal flow? Do you work > for Jefferies? as for “where i’ve been,” i’ve been working for the last few years while you were waiting to graduate from college. by the way, your statements might actually be funny/ironic if (1) credit markets were good, (2) valuations for premium companies were coming down materially, (3) lenders were loosening their IC standards, and (4) jefferies were actually a private equity firm. good job

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > numi Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > 5-6+ years out - $275K+ > > > > > > unfortunately, won’t make near that because > of > > > crap deal flow, oh well. fail > > > > > > Where have you been? Crap deal flow? Do you > work > > for Jefferies? > > > as for “where i’ve been,” i’ve been working for > the last few years while you were waiting to > graduate from college. by the way, your statements > might actually be funny/ironic if (1) credit > markets were good, (2) valuations for premium > companies were coming down materially, (3) lenders > were loosening their IC standards, and (4) > jefferies were actually a private equity firm. > > good job Hm. All my PE/IB contacts seem to have a pretty sustainable deal flow that has picked up rather well in the past months. We must know different people.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > as for “where i’ve been,” i’ve been working for > the last few years while you were waiting to > graduate from college. by the way, your statements > might actually be funny/ironic if (1) credit > markets were good, (2) valuations for premium > companies were coming down materially, (3) lenders > were loosening their IC standards, and (4) > jefferies were actually a private equity firm. > > good job Agree with you on (1) and (3), the lending term is really strict right now that pledging the future cash flow for an LBO deal just not like what it used to be. And LOL on (4), that’s a good chuckle.

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is there some way to just block the folks who > contribute zero meaningful content. Every > sentence that I read from these idiots takes up a > moment of my life that I will not get back. What > a waste. > Click on “hide posts from this user” next to their username, that should do the trick.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 5-6+ years out - $275K+ > > > > unfortunately, won’t make near that because of > > crap deal flow, oh well. fail > > > Where have you been? Crap deal flow? Do you work > for Jefferies? +1 on the Jefferies crack

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > My hedge fund job: > 50 hrs week > 2,600 hrs/yr > say, $500K in a good year, $200K in a bad > $77-192/hr > - time for kids, family, sports, volunteering, > social life, hobbies, posting endlessly on AF > > END OF DISCUSSION Pics of your pay slip or it doesn’t exist.

Successful income levels: 20s: live off rich parents; get drunk and do drugs all the time, delay university and a career 30s: live off rich parents; work odd jobs; get married and then divorced 40s: live off rich parents; pretend that you are more “focused” on your career now; dedicate time to philanthropic endeavors; have parents pay for your second wedding 50s: inherit rich parents’ money; sell their house and use it to buy a new place in the 'burbs END OF DISCUSSION

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Successful income levels: > > 20s: live off rich parents; get drunk and do drugs > all the time, delay university and a career > 30s: live off rich parents; work odd jobs; get > married and then divorced > 40s: live off rich parents; pretend that you are > more “focused” on your career now; dedicate time > to philanthropic endeavors; have parents pay for > your second wedding > 50s: inherit rich parents’ money; sell their house > and use it to buy a new place in the 'burbs > > END OF DISCUSSION and start dating women 10-15 years younger then you when you hit 40.

If you guys are looking to achieve those successful income levels, Quantjock has found a perfect opportunity in the other thread. And it comes from a CPA, of all people. I am also glad to find that everybody’s expectations are totally reasonable. I promise you guys, you will never get disappointed. Except Aliman - your successful income levels do not include managing a baseball team, running an oil company into the ground, or getting elected to public office - total fail.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Except Aliman - your successful income levels do > not include managing a baseball team, running an > oil company into the ground, or getting elected to > public office - total fail. Oh, snap!

Successful income levels: 24-death: don’t care so long as I can go to a decent place to eat and feed and clothe my family in non-designer clothing. i think there is a difference btw numi’s and IHIHM’s definition of success. there are two types. success in life and success in your career. the degree of the latter contributing to the former is a matter of opinion. most people of any character would be able to find success in life without making millions. for instance, i put ghandi and mother theresa at the top of my list for living the most successful lives. i think IHIHM might put hitler on his list for the most successful life based on how much career success seems to be tied to life success in his mind. hitler was probably the most successful hatemonger in modern time and that was his job so IHIHM, you can keep worshiping hitler, while the sane will appreciate those who contribute positive things.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Successful income levels: > 24-death: don’t care so long as I can go to a > decent place to eat and feed and clothe my family > in non-designer clothing. > > i think there is a difference btw numi’s and > IHIHM’s definition of success. there are two > types. success in life and success in your career. > the degree of the latter contributing to the > former is a matter of opinion. most people of any > character would be able to find success in life > without making millions. for instance, i put > ghandi and mother theresa at the top of my list > for living the most successful lives. i think > IHIHM might put hitler on his list for the most > successful life based on how much career success > seems to be tied to life success in his mind. > hitler was probably the most successful hatemonger > in modern time and that was his job so IHIHM, you > can keep worshiping hitler, while the sane will > appreciate those who contribute positive things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum never thought i see this in the AF forums