successful income levels

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Successful income levels: > 24-death: don’t care so long as I can go to a > decent place to eat and feed and clothe my family > in non-designer clothing. > > i think there is a difference btw numi’s and > IHIHM’s definition of success. there are two > types. success in life and success in your career. > the degree of the latter contributing to the > former is a matter of opinion. most people of any > character would be able to find success in life > without making millions. for instance, i put > ghandi and mother theresa at the top of my list > for living the most successful lives. i think > IHIHM might put hitler on his list for the most > successful life based on how much career success > seems to be tied to life success in his mind. > hitler was probably the most successful hatemonger > in modern time and that was his job so IHIHM, you > can keep worshiping hitler, while the sane will > appreciate those who contribute positive things. +1, numi’s contributed a lot useful posts

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Successful income levels: > 24-death: don’t care so long as I can go to a > decent place to eat and feed and clothe my family > in non-designer clothing. > > i think there is a difference btw numi’s and > IHIHM’s definition of success. there are two > types. success in life and success in your career. > the degree of the latter contributing to the > former is a matter of opinion. most people of any > character would be able to find success in life > without making millions. for instance, i put > ghandi and mother theresa at the top of my list > for living the most successful lives. i think > IHIHM might put hitler on his list for the most > successful life based on how much career success > seems to be tied to life success in his mind. > hitler was probably the most successful hatemonger > in modern time and that was his job so IHIHM, you > can keep worshiping hitler, while the sane will > appreciate those who contribute positive things. making any reference to hitler or nazis in an argument invalidates your reasoning by default though. it’s like the multiplication by zero of the debate rules, FYI

IF YOU DO NOT MAKE $5 MILLION BY THE AGE OF 25 AND ARE NOT HAVING SEX WITH ITALIAN SUPERMODELS, THEN YOU FAIL AT LIFE. LOL ROFL LMFAO. I hope this helps to summarize this topic.

cfagoal2 Wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum > > never thought i see this in the AF forums i disagree with this wholeheartedly and i believe my use isn’t connected with reductio ad Hitlerum. Hitler didn’t invent death or genocide, no, but he and solely himself was the figure who pushed for the entire extermination of a specific race. few people have ever been solely responsible for such misery. also, he has a book which clearly defines his hate and intentions, no other german in the reich does. this is why using hitler as the representation of the entire german nazi/fascist regime’s stance on those issues is appropriate. if the reich truly believed in everything hitler stood for, they wouldn’t have let him stay in power as he is not what hitler defines as the ideal, pure aryan. in fact, he’s a mutt. that discussion of reductio ad hiterlum aside, hitler did have a successful career in that he made more money than anyone at his peak, though he did not have a successful life based on standards set by the general population. i.e. murdering people kind of voids all good things you’ve ever done and leads to your life being an unsuccesful one. my use of hitler is proper for this argument specifically. i struggle to find someone else in modern times who went from being a bohemian to having billions in assets yet living an unsuccessful life due to his personal choice and obsession over killing millions of people. if you could give me one other example, i will use that person but for someone who watches jeopardy everyday and has taken history classes in university, i struggle to identify one legitimate substitute.

Should’ve called the Bear Jew. Who also, led an unseccessful life according to this thread. I define success (for me) as making enough by the time I am still coherent enough to be earning at least 500K/year on Treasury income. 1 kid, and a $hitton of cars.

No offense or anything Matt, but your understanding of the dynamics of this period of history is really superficial and coarse.

nocareer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No offense or anything Matt, but your > understanding of the dynamics of this period of > history is really superficial and coarse. well, we are on AF and i didn’t want to get into a 20 page essay about the dynamics of german politics and societal sentiment at the time. the bottom line, is that hitler took advantage of the german hate and in doing so is mostly to blame for it. he is the instigator. if you’re going to blame the german people for what happened, you may as well blame the allies of WWI for it as well as our reparations payments were an indirect, but major cause for such hate.

but you are missing the point - it don’t matter how logical or appropriate the reference to nazis/hitler is. the point is that its complete overuse, often in a meaningless way, makes it a poor choice for substantiating any argument, no matter how relevant it is in your specific example

Once upon a time, an infamous AF poster posted the following: £10 million by 25 £100 million by 30 The entire board bowed down to the Lion.

and that is the problem, becuase of its overuse, most of you on this forum are not giving it the credit it deserves when it is used properly. this is one of those 1/100 times when the comparison is actually valid and there is no better comparison. successful career vs. successful life. there is no better example of someone with an incredibly successful career (if judged by earning power) and yet such a unsuccessful life (if judged by deeds).

contribute $1mm to charity by 30 $20mm from 30-40 $30 mm from 40 onwards so basically I want to earn enough so that I can give it away without a frown…

that is indeed a problem, but you have to realize that it is your problem. you are making the argument and you need to choose a metaphor/comparison that will win the argument for you, and nazis won’t work. you need to optimize your argument under the constraints of the prejudices of the audience, otherwise it fails

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and that is the problem, becuase of its overuse, > most of you on this forum are not giving it the > credit it deserves when it is used properly. this > is one of those 1/100 times when the comparison is > actually valid and there is no better comparison. > successful career vs. successful life. there is no > better example of someone with an incredibly > successful career (if judged by earning power) and > yet such a unsuccessful life (if judged by deeds). I agree. I believe that having a successful career doesn’t necessarily imply success in life, but I believe that most people that feel like they have a successful life seem to find success and happiness in their careers as well. And of course, as some of you noted, there will always be individuals that fabricate their career achievements and expertise (including a couple individuals on this forum). Hopefully they are able to find success and happiness in other aspects of their lives.

happiness is success…mo money mo problems

Jscott24 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > happiness is success…mo money mo problems mo money we come upon the mo problems we see I’d love to have those problems

You guys are real smart, arent you? Also, I have found in life that one who accuses someone of something is more often than not guilty of that charge. Some people do take themselves too seriously on here which is NOT the same as bragging about your aschievements. You can tell who has a big ego and a small di*k.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- I have found in life that one who accuses > someone of something is more often than not guilty > of that charge. + > You can tell who has a small di*k. oops…

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > I have found in life that one who accuses > > someone of something is more often than not > guilty > > of that charge. > > + > > > You can tell who has a small di*k. > > > oops… +1

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mobius Striptease Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > needhelp Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > I have found in life that one who accuses > > > someone of something is more often than not > > guilty > > > of that charge. > > > > + > > > > > You can tell who has a small di*k. > > > > > > oops… > > +1 +12"

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > that is indeed a problem, but you have to realize > that it is your problem. you are making the > argument and you need to choose a > metaphor/comparison that will win the argument for > you, and nazis won’t work. you need to optimize > your argument under the constraints of the > prejudices of the audience, otherwise it fails This is a good point Matt, as was yours. You just delivered it the wrong way. I remembered we had an argument on Madoff a few months ago, and that too could be classed as not optimizing your arguments under the constraints and prejudices of the audience.