Ties

Most people here are not looking down on ties themselves. They are looking down on people who look down on people who don’t wear ties.

All i want to say is that people should dress appropriately.

I don’t expect the mechanic repairing cars or the construction worker building a house wear a suit.

But yes, i would be offended if i go to an important meeting and someone dresses like a mechanic or a construction worker or just pajamas just because “he feels like it”.

It’s just out of respect for others, you dress what you’re expected to dress. And it’s work, you can dress whatever you like after work, on the weekend, and i don’t care, but in a professional environment, you are expected to act professionally, that includes your attire.

Clearly that’s not what i mean, a suit is a suit, i don’t care how much it is and where it comes from.

But you can’t say pajamas is a suit, a tracksuit is professional attire, flip flops are appropriate for business meetings.

KANYE DIDN’T DESIGN THE LEATHER JOGGING PANTS 6 YEARS AGO TO BE TOLD HE HAS TO DRESS FOR HIS JOB. TAKE THAT HEDI SLIMANE.

I’m sure I’ll get murdered for this question, but I don’t claim to be a fashionista. There are men’s dress shirts with no pocket? I’ve probably owned close to 100 dress shirts over my life, some cheap but most good quality, and I can’t remember any of them not having a pocket on the left breast.

That elicited an unexpected laugh from me. Thank you.

Yes, but they’re considered less formal, more hip.

^ That 'splains it. I’m a pretty formal guy.

A shirt with no pocket is a “Dress Shirt” and meant to be worn with a suit.

A shirt with a pocket is a “Sport Shirt” and meant to be worn with a sport coat.

And no, I’m not making this up.

Ummm…what’s the conceptual difference between a suit and sports coat?

With a suit, you wear pants and a coat. With a sport coat, you wear pants and a coat. I’m not sure how one differs from the other.

Completely disagree. But the matter isn’t exactly settled.

http://dappered.com/2011/08/style-debate-dress-shirts-pocket-vs-no-pocket/

Come on, you know this. If the coat and pants match, it’s a suit. If they don’t, you’re wearing a sport coat and pants. Suit pants can be worn on their own (no coat), but you can’t really wear a suit coat with different pants. It’s like fapping with the wrong hand. Just doesn’t feel right.

I think a suit is matched whereas a sports jacket can be worn with any pants. But I’m no expert and could be very wrong.

So if my pants and coat match, then I wear a “no-pocket” shirt. If my pants and coat don’t match, then I wear a pocketed shirt. Is that right? (Gotta make sure I program this into my secret decoder ring.)

It appears that Vlad Putin goes pocketless, so I’ll have to go get me some pocketless dress shirts.

Sport coats are cut differently than suit jackets.

I believe sports coats evolved from the jackets that people would actually wear while working or doing outdoor activity. Hence, sports coats are looser than blazers or suit jackets, and are often made of robust material. The main difference between blazers and suit jackets, as far as I can tell, is that suit jackets come with pants.

Wow. I guess I’ll just stick to Dockers and Polo shirts. Too much to learn.

I think for most men, it’s safe to just wear a suit (matching jacket and trousers) because very few men can do unmatching jacket well, IMHO…

But honestly if you wear the jacket, it’s probably hard to see if you have a pocket or not on your shirt? so that i am not too concerned.

I’d invest more money on nice shoes.

Shirts with breast pockets are less formal.

at my former house, if you wore one you ran the risk of having it ripped off.