Trump Wins!

Fred Trump was worth at a minimum $200M in 1973. Trump’s inheritance was thus about 1/5 of $40M in 1973 assuming equal share among him and his siblings. Trump ran Trump enterprises from 1973 to today so his business acumen is on display from 1973 to now. If he invested the $40M in the S&P 500 from 1973 to now, it’d be worth over $3 billion. Add the couple of million a year or so he gets for being given the role of CEO of Trump Enterprises, and it is likely that Trump has not done better than passive investing. this ignores taxes but i’m sure Trump’s salary if indexed to the S&P 500 would be worth tens of billions.

i don’t really care about this issue but it should be known that Trump is a product of nepotism and not a supreme being like he likes to think he is.

trump is exactly like canada’s kevin o’leary except o’leary actually built something from scratch and took risk. o’leary he got lucky by building a tech company at the right time and now he thinks he’s a genius in all things. o’leary funds are some of the worst on the street. trump was given everything, and the best he’s done is not screw it all up. actually, that makes me think he could be a good president. “here’s the key to the castle Mr. Trump, please don’t burn down the castle”.

Yeah, 1973 or 1999. Numbers work out all the same. Might want to check your facts. Don’t get the hate. He played banks like fiddle. Had a negative net worth and now is worth billions. I’m guessing no fledgling real estate developer would turn down his counsel. People say he’s crazy. I think he causes other people’s minds to short circuit. Politics is all relative.

it wasn’t 1999. if you start at 1999, you ignore the fact that trump basically destroyed his father’s company over those 26 years. i’m not sure why anyone is willing to jump in to defend the guy with the silver spoon who at best has been average. show me a bloomberg, zuckerberg, buffett or gates and i’ll say yeah, they’re phenomenal human beings. are you going to start defending the Queen’s or Prince Harry’s business acumen?

You’re claiming fred was worth at least 200 in 1973? Source? What are the total return numbers on donald’s Manhattan investments? His dad supposedly stayed out of those decisions. And how has donald done compared to other developers? Fairly certain the s&p 500 isn’t the appropriate benchmark.

you’re right. levered real estate has done much better than the S&P 500 since 1973.

Well, gates has said you wouldn’t know who he was if he was born a few years sooner or later, and he certainly had a silver spoon. Again, why the hate? To say Trump hasn’t found more success in life than average, even given his starting point, is simply not rational. He causes your mind to go haywire.

i don’t really care. your country is filled with loonybins willing to vote him in, not mine.

DRUMPF

Most firms go broke and you never hear from them again. Survivorship bias.

Wouldn’t have pegged you as someone that gets their self worth through their country of citizship. But, I hope so. HRC needs to be stopped.

Trump actually forgot to trademark his slogan and ended up having to buy it back from a radio DJ who was smart enough to trademark the phrase. I believe all the proceeds went to St. Jude or something

source of fred trump being worth $200 million in 1973? What i see says he was worth $200 million upon his death in 1999.

This is amazing.

Haters gonna hate.

Trump’s rate of return was already discussed in another thread. It was concluded that he has succeeded Like A Boss. Continuing the theme, as in other threads, where MLA was shown that his analysis was lacking, here he disregards withdrawals from Trump’s investment record. Also, the assumption of equal share of net worth being distributed to siblings is a lousy assumption. That money could’ve gone anywhere. MLA’s “analysis”: garbage in = garbage out.

Trump’s ego is not the problem. It’s the fragile egos of people like MLA. The big plane causes them to get all flustered and question their very existence. It’s ok, I’m not as rich as him either. I can still find meaning in my anonymous existence.

So if Bloomberg jumps in the race, no one can really say anything about Trumps business acumen can they? I would doubt by any measure (excluding most items wrapped in a tacky 80’s gold) BBG doesnt beat Trump when it comes to business.

Bloomberg is worth several billion more than Trump

He also has an MBA from harvard & a BS in Electrical Engineering from Johns Hopkins which beats Trumps undergrad at Fordham & Penn. Source: The internet

This source says that Trump’s father was worth $200M in the 70s and Trump’s inheritance was estimated at $40M in 1974. It also says that Trump’s estimated net worth, according to BusinessWeek, was $100M in 1979.

The article also makes the conclusion that Trump would be better off had he indexed in the S&P 500. I have no idea if the facts in this article are true, but it was written yesterday so I’d assume the facts are up to date.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/29/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-donald-trumps-business-empire/

Trump haters really last it on thick. First, as it was also said in the former thread, measuring his worth by taking some value (which you can’t even prove),and applying the growthe rate is the dumbest comparison ever. He lived a really luxurious and expensive lifestyle. It’s not like he lives in a box on the street and said to himself “oh no! I have to beat the total return of the stock index!” . Seriously, shut up about this comparison, you just make yourself look dumb bringing it up. Second, the transition to get political power makes total sense. Wealthy people can already buy what they want , so they look to the next thing, and holding the most powerful seat in the world sounds pretty good. You can buy influence with money, but to get the seat of power and have money, then you’re a king.