Where I wrote answers

Wow! So glad other felt the format of the exam was confusing, especially if it was your first time taking it. I found out that I wrote the answer in the wrong area twice and had to rewrite them. I also hated having to flip back and forth from the question and the answer sheet. Really got fustrated and wasted valuable time. Finished, but had to rush in the end.

My condolences to your charter for this year sir. Hopefully you were underprepared and Band-X anyways - sorry man… It is BS how they lay this ish out. At least have the priors/mocks print that way so we can get a look at it. I made a couple layout mistakes that cost me probably 10-15 minutes in the morning… On the 2010 AM I wrote on the actual test like how you did because there wasn’t lined paper behind - AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH I’m getting mad for you bro. Sorry man.

It wouldve been nice if we had some former L3ers forewarn us about the layout. What was up with that?

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My condolences to your charter for this year sir. > > Hopefully you were underprepared and Band-X > anyways - sorry man… > > It is BS how they lay this ish out. At least have > the priors/mocks print that way so we can get a > look at it. I made a couple layout mistakes that > cost me probably 10-15 minutes in the morning… > On the 2010 AM I wrote on the actual test like how > you did because there wasn’t lined paper behind - > AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH I’m getting > mad for you bro. Sorry man. Thanks for the words. What sucks about this was I felt like I crushed the AM session. I’m still waiting to hear back from them, but am not hopeful.

Im pretty heated considering the prep time i put in. The bait and switch layout was unfair and unnecessary. Make the prior sessions identical in format, ffs… I was basically trained after so many mocks to write under the question. Also, i did not see ANY of the question pages say “do not write here”, and i looked several times after encountering a blank page that did say it. I do realize it is unusual to write under the questions, but i write unusually small so i was just comfortable that way. There were only a small handful of questions where i needed the (what i thought was) extra room.

markCFAIL Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Im pretty heated considering the prep time i put > in. The bait and switch layout was unfair and > unnecessary. Make the prior sessions identical in > format, ffs… I was basically trained after so > many mocks to write under the question. Also, i > did not see ANY of the question pages say “do not > write here”, and i looked several times after > encountering a blank page that did say it. > > I do realize it is unusual to write under the > questions, but i write unusually small so i was > just comfortable that way. There were only a small > handful of questions where i needed the (what i > thought was) extra room. I feel you dude - that’s how I wrote my prior years as practice so I had kind of trained myself how to do it. I’d be hot too, but I think they’ll point to some of the verbiage on the cover and cop out that way. I’d run that up to the top though, QQQBBEEEE style. Feel for you guys. Hope it works out… Where to write ish shouldn’t be a component of the exam, the exam should be testing your knowledge…

Mark, I said you wouldnt fail and im sticking to it if these cats have any heart.

markCFAIL Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Im pretty heated considering the prep time i put > in. The bait and switch layout was unfair and > unnecessary. Make the prior sessions identical in > format, ffs… I was basically trained after so > many mocks to write under the question. Also, i > did not see ANY of the question pages say “do not > write here”, and i looked several times after > encountering a blank page that did say it. > > I do realize it is unusual to write under the > questions, but i write unusually small so i was > just comfortable that way. There were only a small > handful of questions where i needed the (what i > thought was) extra room. Mark, what exactly did they tell you on the phone? I sent a message, and also called. When I talked to the customer service rep, they said this issue was beyond the scope of the types of questions he answered, and basically said to wait for a written response. You should definitely send them a written message as well. If they get a number of emails about this, you never know, they might reconsider. It can’t hurt.

I will, but honestly i think we are outta luck. CFAI is very “their way” ivory towerish and will likely not care.

My condolences to you two, bucky6225 and markCFAIL. You have made me feel better in the sense that somebody else has it worse. I was over prepared for this test, but have doubts because I let some distractions get the best of me during the afternoon session. I must have burned 45+ minutes trying to get moved, finally got moved, and then got distracted when other people complained about the dude that was bothering me. The proctors finally moved him CLOSER TO MY NEW SEAT. Unbelievable. Not to mention the first time I raised my hand and voiced my complaint, the proctor simply walked away. Really! Needless to say, this causes the mind to lose even more focus. Anger starts to set in. The question is rationalization. Of course, human nature is that I can blame everything and everyone, but the true is that this is my fault. I knew I was going to be in a room with hundreds of people and I chose not to bring ear plugs. I have never had a problem concentrating in that type of setting, so I assumed something like this couldn’t happen to me. A little hubris don’t you think? Two, if I had called the proctor the very second the yahoo next to me broke my concentration and if I had been more assertive(i.e. got up and followed the proctor when she simply walked away or at least put my hand right back up. I sat there in shock for a little while burning points/minutes. Time/money. Same thing right?), this could have been a couple minute ordeal. So, I have a question for the thread and the two “victims.” Who’s culpable? The CFAI or bucky6225 and markCFAIL?

Ghibli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My condolences to you two, bucky6225 and > markCFAIL. You have made me feel better in the > sense that somebody else has it worse. I was over > prepared for this test, but have doubts because I > let some distractions get the best of me during > the afternoon session. I must have burned 45+ > minutes trying to get moved, finally got moved, > and then got distracted when other people > complained about the dude that was bothering me. > The proctors finally moved him CLOSER TO MY NEW > SEAT. Unbelievable. Not to mention the first time > I raised my hand and voiced my complaint, the > proctor simply walked away. Really! Needless to > say, this causes the mind to lose even more focus. > Anger starts to set in. The question is > rationalization. Of course, human nature is that I > can blame everything and everyone, but the true is > that this is my fault. I knew I was going to be in > a room with hundreds of people and I chose not to > bring ear plugs. I have never had a problem > concentrating in that type of setting, so I > assumed something like this couldn’t happen to me. > A little hubris don’t you think? Two, if I had > called the proctor the very second the yahoo next > to me broke my concentration and if I had been > more assertive(i.e. got up and followed the > proctor when she simply walked away or at least > put my hand right back up. I sat there in shock > for a little while burning points/minutes. > Time/money. Same thing right?), this could have > been a couple minute ordeal. So, I have a question > for the thread and the two “victims.” Who’s > culpable? The CFAI or bucky6225 and markCFAIL? What was the guy doing?

I’m pretty sure that it says on the back of the exam book when the announcer is reading it to you that answers or any marks written on the pages with the questions will not be graded.

Straight from the CFA website, I think this is also what they say on the back of the exam book: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/exams/Pages/policies.aspx Completing Your Essay Book Essay Answers for Level III AM Session Only It is your responsibility to complete the essay book correctly to ensure all information is accurately recorded during grading and your results are correctly reported back to you. When completing your essay book: Use blue or black ink Write your CANDIDATE NUMBER and SEAT NUMBER on the front cover of your exam book Sign the candidate pledge inside the front cover. Do not remove the candidate pledge card Essay answers must be written in English Each essay question consists of one or more parts (A, B, C, etc.). Some parts will direct you to write your answer in a template. Instructions in bold print immediately following the question will direct you to the page number of each template. All other questions should be answered on the lined page(s) following the question. For these questions, label each part of your answer clearly (A, B, C, or i, ii, iii, etc.) If you use all of the designated lined pages, extra lined pages are provided at the back of the book. To use these pages, place a check mark in the box at the bottom of the last page designated for that answer and label the extra pages with the appropriate question number Answers on question pages will not be graded. You may make marks and notes on the question pages

programmer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m pretty sure that it says on the back of the > exam book when the announcer is reading it to you > that answers or any marks written on the pages > with the questions will not be graded. Thank you for once again bringing this to my attention.

I asked the proctor prior to the beginning of the exam if we’re allowed to use pencil. She collaborated with someone else and then came back to me and said we can use it, since it’s hand-graded.

He just kept starting and stopping some sort of foot dance. Wouldn’t have been so bad, but the shoes made a sound similar to paper being crumpled when they were flexed. And flex them he did. He was fine in the morning session, but I’m guessing his nerves got the best of him in the afternoon. He certainly wasn’t thinking about anything but himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t even aware of his happy feet. You should have seen how fast he got out the room when we were dismissed at the end though. For a second, I wanted to give chase, but I could only laugh. Somewhat disappointed with myself. I got so flustered. I just couldn’t refocus. I definitely have a little more sympathy for people that say they are just not “good test takers.” If their nerves cause anything similar to what I did to myself, you become an idiot. I soon as I got in my car, and my head cleared, I couldn’t believe some of the mistakes I had made on the test. Awful fealing. I guess more of a hit on my ego than anything else. I lost it in third quarter and my have not recovered in time. I’ve worked as a pilot and the simulators put you through some pretty good pressure cooking(not to mention landing near thunderstorms at 2:00 am after being on duty for 15 hours and making your eighth flight of the day), but I’ve always known which way is up. For a little while during the test I couldn’t tell you what raising rates would do to nominal bonds. And it had nothing to do with Level III. I thought, compared to Level I and II, the Level III was cake. A lot of that probably was preparation, but still. And to rationalize a little more, makes one feel better right, no sleep the night before couldn’t have helped. Ok, now I sound like a crying baby. I’ll stop while I’m behind.

programmer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Straight from the CFA website, I think this is > also what they say on the back of the exam book: > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/exams/Pages > /policies.aspx > > > Completing Your Essay Book > Essay Answers for Level III AM Session Only > > It is your responsibility to complete the essay > book correctly to ensure all information is > accurately recorded during grading and your > results are correctly reported back to you. When > completing your essay book: > > Use blue or black ink > > Write your CANDIDATE NUMBER and SEAT NUMBER on the > front cover of your exam book > > Sign the candidate pledge inside the front cover. > Do not remove the candidate pledge card > > Essay answers must be written in English > > Each essay question consists of one or more parts > (A, B, C, etc.). Some parts will direct you to > write your answer in a template. Instructions in > bold print immediately following the question will > direct you to the page number of each template. > All other questions should be answered on the > lined page(s) following the question. For these > questions, label each part of your answer clearly > (A, B, C, or i, ii, iii, etc.) > > If you use all of the designated lined pages, > extra lined pages are provided at the back of the > book. To use these pages, place a check mark in > the box at the bottom of the last page designated > for that answer and label the extra pages with the > appropriate question number > > Answers on question pages will not be graded. You > may make marks and notes on the question pages Programmer, When you pasted this I think you cut out the part where CFAI said there will be an exception made for bucky6225 because he would find it unreasonbable if they didn’t. I’m sorry, “completely unreasonable.” Could this be an example of rationalizaion? See below. RATIONALIZATION “If one cannot accept the real reasons for their behavior, they may rationalize. This device permits them to substitute excuses for reasons; moreover, they can make those excuses plausible and acceptable to themselves. Rationalization is a subconscious technique for justifying actions that otherwise would be unacceptable. When true rationalization takes place, individuals sincerely believe in their excuses. The excuses seem real and justifiable to the individual” As stated by the FAA

bucky6225 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > programmer Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m pretty sure that it says on the back of the > > exam book when the announcer is reading it to > you > > that answers or any marks written on the pages > > with the questions will not be graded. > > > Thank you for once again bringing this to my > attention. Sorry… please accept my apology. I feel your pain and I don’t wish this to happen to anyone.

programmer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bucky6225 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > programmer Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I’m pretty sure that it says on the back of > the > > > exam book when the announcer is reading it to > > you > > > that answers or any marks written on the > pages > > > with the questions will not be graded. > > > > > > Thank you for once again bringing this to my > > attention. > > > Sorry… please accept my apology. I feel your > pain and I don’t wish this to happen to anyone. no problem, just my sense of humor. I appreciate it.

programmer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bucky6225 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > programmer Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I’m pretty sure that it says on the back of > the > > > exam book when the announcer is reading it to > > you > > > that answers or any marks written on the > pages > > > with the questions will not be graded. > > > > > > Thank you for once again bringing this to my > > attention. > > > Sorry… please accept my apology. I feel your > pain and I don’t wish this to happen to anyone. I second that. Just fighting my own deamons. Sounds like bucky can take it.